Pls Advise, Which Hospital Or Doctor To See

Topic locked
Pls advise, which hospital or doctor to see Aug 10, 2009
to make a check for testicular cancer

majolo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 10, 2009
You can make an appointment with an of the clinics or hospital surgeries.

I recommend the GMC or Dr Akel's Clinics on beach road or the Welcare Hospital in Garhoud.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2009
American Hospital has a cancer center. Also City Hospital (Welcare) in Healthcare City is starting up a clinic, but I don't know how far into it they are. The very best doctor to see would be Dr. Andre Rizk who is with the Abu Dhabi Cancer Center. He is wonderful.

Good luck to you (or someone else if that's the case).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 10, 2009
But you wouldn't go straight for Oncology until a positive diagnosis has been made, you need an initial check up and then if something shows up, you'd be given a referral.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:But you wouldn't go straight for Oncology until a positive diagnosis has been made, you need an initial check up and then if something shows up, you'd be given a referral.

Correction Chocs. You can make a first appointment with the doctor in the cancer department/center. They would request the labs to run the tests. No initial checkup by a general practitioner is necessary unless you started out with a general practitioner who suspects the possibility of a condition and then they would then make the referral.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 10, 2009
mmm ok. Although I do wonder how good they are here. When my friend was diagnosed, he was told to go back to the States for treatment.

Plus I hate to say it, but I wouldn't touch the American Hospital with a barge pole! They make quite alot of screw ups over there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:mmm ok. Although I do wonder how good they are here. When my friend was diagnosed, he was told to go back to the States for treatment.

Plus I hate to say it, but I wouldn't touch the American Hospital with a barge pole! They make quite alot of screw ups over there.

So true about American Hospital. Dr. Rizk set up the cancer department and got screwed over by them and Abu Dhabi snatched him up. Keep his name in mind for the future in case someone is in need of an excellent doctor, especially a woman. While at American Hospital there were plenty of men who went to him as well. He is well known for his treatment of breast cancer. Came out of Boston, Mass. and has excellent credentials.

Problem in Dubai is that you can be treated with chemo but there are no radiation facilities. One has to go to Al Ain, although, having said that, I think there is now a facility in Abu Dhabi - and the treatment takes 5 days a week for 45 minutes a session for 6 weeks! I would trust him for treatment, but anyone else, I would definitely book a ticket back home if treatment was required.

City Hospital is employing a lot of doctors from Germany, so they are staffing well, although coming from Germany doesn't give you any guarantees!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 10, 2009
Good to know.

Wow! That's horrific!

My mate had cancer of the bladder - very lucky they caught it actually - and he needed complex surgery, chemo and radiation, so the full works, poor guy. They just basically told him the treatments here were not adanced enough for his condition and he was better off going back to Chicago. Which is what he did.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Good to know.

Wow! That's horrific!

My mate had cancer of the bladder - very lucky they caught it actually - and he needed complex surgery, chemo and radiation, so the full works, poor guy. They just basically told him the treatments here were not adanced enough for his condition and he was better off going back to Chicago. Which is what he did.

Dubai's lose was Abu Dhabi's gain.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 10, 2009
The nice thing about this thread is that here we have a responsible guy or guys who're checking themselves. We hear so much about breast cancer, yet testicular cancer is just as rife, but thee is hardly any awareness about it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Pls advise, which hospital or doctor to see Aug 10, 2009
majolo wrote:to make a check for testicular cancer

You may have strained yourself some how. You may be worrying yourself unnecessarily. As Chocs, said, you may need only to see a general practictioner. If a general practitioner thinks it is suspicious, then head out to Dr. Rizk, who would be my first recommendation.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Pls advise, which hospital or doctor to see Aug 10, 2009
majolo wrote:to make a check for testicular cancer

unless it's all covered by your insurance, avoid hospitals in dubai/UAE. they're too much expensive. i spent 300+ dhs just for sore throat!

even many GCC nationals go abroad (i found many of them when i lived & went to a good private hospital in bangkok) for hospitalization as they find it a lot cheaper and better. i think there's an article about it on newspaper just recently.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah I acclaim the GMC or Dr Akel's Clinics on bank alley or the Welcare Hospital in Garhoud.

:)
evolvedix69
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 10, 2009
It’s interesting to see the fighting cats of the forum peacefully discuss and sometimes agree ( yah you read it right ‘agree’) on how to check a suspected case of testicular cancer. :D

Moral of the thread, testicles can make peace. I’m relieved and yes I’m ducking down too. :lol:
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:mmm ok. Although I do wonder how good they are here. When my friend was diagnosed, he was told to go back to the States for treatment.

Sorry to disagree with you, but the American Hospital saved my life, so it is not always correct to generalise in such a manner.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 11, 2009
And they nearly killed a friend of mine!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 11, 2009
So that at least gives them 50 - 50 right?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Sorry to disagree with you, but the American Hospital saved my life, so it is not always correct to generalise in such a manner.

How so Sage? What happened?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 12, 2009
Best of luck mate, hope it isnt cancer
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 12, 2009
Hear Hear, keep checking guys & gals, the sooner you spot something not right, the more likely of sorting it out.

I've had an absolute gutfull of the dreaded C in my life over the last 5 years, so far, not personally. But the aftermath and realisation that life is not eternal has been enlightening in a kind of a way.

There's good treatment out there but I pray to god that none of us have to be in that place. Not a nice place, trust me.

Stay lucky
Richardson
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat