Marketing Dubai With .ae Domain Endings

Topic locked
Marketing Dubai with .ae domain endings Jun 23, 2009
I sometimes get communications from Dubai companies by email . They invariably have .ae domain endings.
When will these people realise that if they want to rank highly on Google UK , that .co.uk are their best chance? .com are excellent internationally, but .co.uk are even better on Google UK. .ae domains will GET NOWHERE!!..
We sell a lot of excellent Dubai-based domains with .co.uk and .com endings on visit-dubai.co.uk. With the problems Dubai has got, Dubai businessmen ..............and/or the Dubai government ......should be looking at these and talking business with me. My site visit-dubai.co.uk is TOP if you enter "visit dubai" into Google UK and 2nd on Google globally.........so I can PROVE that this sort of marketing is effective.

Dubai has NO CHANCE of improving its holiday and property sales if it does not MARKET with more intelligence on the internet.

The best domains for the BRITISH MARKET HAVE .CO.UK ENDINGS !
.AE have NO CHANCE AT ALL !!

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 23, 2009
I guess I'll go ahead and ask the obvious - what if the company in question wants to market to the UAE market? That would seem like a reasonable goal seeing as they're based in the UAE.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Marketing Dubai with .ae domain endings Jun 24, 2009
RedKite wrote:I sometimes get communications from Dubai companies by email . They invariably have .ae domain endings.
When will these people realise that if they want to rank highly on Google UK , that .co.uk are their best chance? .com are excellent internationally, but .co.uk are even better on Google UK. .ae domains will GET NOWHERE!!..
We sell a lot of excellent Dubai-based domains with .co.uk and .com endings on visit-dubai.co.uk. With the problems Dubai has got, Dubai businessmen ..............and/or the Dubai government ......should be looking at these and talking business with me. My site visit-dubai.co.uk is TOP if you enter "visit dubai" into Google UK and 2nd on Google globally.........so I can PROVE that this sort of marketing is effective.

Dubai has NO CHANCE of improving its holiday and property sales if it does not MARKET with more intelligence on the internet.

The best domains for the BRITISH MARKET HAVE .CO.UK ENDINGS !
.AE have NO CHANCE AT ALL !!

WTF ! you know there are other markets other than the British markets and there is a google.com and us poor folk even have a google.ae

This post would be relavant if it was posted in Britishforums . com, or was this some kind of a weird plug for your dubai . co . uk site :roll:
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 24, 2009
Sorry RK

The village idiot show is currently on at the Dubai World Trade Center and Dubaiforums has a stand so the attendees are all using the opportunity to post a comment.

You are absolutely correct BUT hopefully by the responses above you see the difficultly that others have had in getting the self same message across

Your post is valid and in the correct forum as (DF) it is located in the area where the problem stems from

You can lead a horse to water but not an omelette WTF?
:withstupid:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 25, 2009
Gamercowboy and Desert Dudesh,

Why the hell are you so PAROCHIAL ?? I will repeat......If you want to market to the UK ...then USE .CO.UK and .COM domains !!

.AE WILL GET NOWHERE.........THERE ARE 60 MILLION POTENTAIL CUSTOMERS IN THE UK!!

IF YOU WANT TO MARKET TO FRANCE....use .FR and .COM DOMAIN ENDINGS.

IF YOU WANT TO MARKET TO GERMANY , use .DE and .COM DOMAINS !!

Now .....BUY a domain with a .AE ending if you wish to be patriotic or sell to other Gulf Arabs.......BUT DON'T EXPECT TO CLIMB GOOGLE UK !!

NO WONDER DUBAI IS SUFFERING ECONOMICALLY IF YOUR ATTITUDE IS SO PAROCHIAL !!

Ideally...you should buy a domain WITH .com; net; .co.uk ; .ae ; .fr and ,de endings....plus others. ALL OF THEM , AND POST IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
Sorry Typo ....POTENTIAL !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
I had an intermittent problem with ae domains about two months ago. I kept getting redirected to Russian language sites. Anyone with the same experience.

I agree it is best to go in for the domain names of countries in which you wish to do you marketing. However com is in general one of the safest domains to work with in this regard. (I have a SEO sitting next to me whom I keep poking with stupid questions.)
Best
vistasad
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2009
It's not about being patriotic. It's about knowing whom you are marketing to. There are many reasons to want to target the UAE market either in whole or in part. For example, why would Du get a UK domain name?

Developing the .ae namespace would actually be a net benefit to the UAE so it should be promoted rather than discouraged. Unfortunately, the country's broadband pricing is keeping it back.

Besides, there are a lot more important things for SEO than the domain name.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2009
Can i keep .AE domain, if am leaving UAE ? If i am not in UAE, can i get the doman .AE ?
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 25, 2009
Gamercowboy,
You ask "why would Du get a UK domain name" !!!?? I don't know what you mean. Who is DU ?

Dubai is trying it MARKET TO THE WORLD . If it does not....IT DIES!!
By all means get your domain with an ".ae" ending.....but get the other endings too !!

How many domains with .ae endings are listed on Google UK or Google in the USA?
Sure, ".com" is the best INTERNATIONALLY if you are only going to have one!!

Then, can you please explain why the California Travel and Tourism Association WHO ALREADY MARKETED using visitcalifornia.com......BOUGHT VISITCALIFORNIA.CO.UK FROM ME ????

They are ASTUTE businessmen. They bought that domain to MARKET CALIFORNIA TO 60 MILLION BRITS!!

Visitcalifornia.co.uk is now used on UK TV ADVERTS FEATURING ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER .....GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA .
They bought the domain from me to CLIMB HIGHER on Google UK.

Similarly, I sold visitbavaria.co.uk to the Germans.

I have many domains for sale with .co.uk endings featuring Dubai. They are on visit-dubai.co.uk . THEY WILL PAY FOR THEMSELVES MANY TIMES OVER IN INCREASED BUSINESS FOR DUBAI !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
Anosh:
You can look at this link and the accompanying PDF to see the requirements: http://www.aeda.ae/eng/faqs.php#10

It seems that you do not have to be a resident.

RedKite:
I guess in your case, a UK domain name is beneficial because you are targeting the UK market. As I already stated above, it's about knowing whom you are marketing to. Du is one of the two telcos in the UAE and their main website is du.ae.

I guess I understand your position better now, actually. You're talking about marketing Dubai itself to the world rather than simply being in Dubai and marketing. In that case, you could make a case for these safe domain names. But I still maintain that we should be fostering the development of the .ae namespace rather than letting in languish.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:Anosh:
You can look at this link and the accompanying PDF to see the requirements: http://www.aeda.ae/eng/faqs.php#10

It seems that you do not have to be a resident.

RedKite:
I guess in your case, a UK domain name is beneficial because you are targeting the UK market. As I already stated above, it's about knowing whom you are marketing to. Du is one of the two telcos in the UAE and their main website is du.ae.

I guess I understand your position better now, actually. You're talking about marketing Dubai itself to the world rather than simply being in Dubai and marketing. In that case, you could make a case for these safe domain names. But I still maintain that we should be fostering the development of the .ae namespace rather than letting in languish.

For you information.
You cannot get the .AE domain without resident visa or may you have to able to show your business. There are lot of restrictions from www.aeda.ae . And the worst part is, if you are leaving the UAE, packing and shifting to your home country. You will loose your domain name .AE . Did you know all ?

Requirement needed.

"
Required documents
• Visa and Passport copy of owner or sponsor
• Copy of valid Trade Licence & Power of Attorney "

Source: http://nic.ae/english/pdf/registration/ ... rm_eng.pdf
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 25, 2009
I'm fairly sure that's only for the Restricted Zones such as .co.ae, .net.ae, etc. For Unrestricted .ae domains, those documents are not required.

Check here:
http://www.du.ae/en/business/products-a ... apply.html

Even on nic.ae's site, you can go here: http://nic.ae/english/registration/procedures.jsp

You'll notice that there's a section for international applicants.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2009
Gamercowboy,
Look, you are being too defensive about .ae domains. WHY? No-one is KNOCKING them!! They have their place, but that is mainly marketing around the Gulf region.

Dubai is TRYING TO BE AN INTERNATIONAL TRADING, HOLIDAY AND FINANCIAL CENTRE!!
YOU ARE SUPPOSEDLY MARKETING TO THE WORLD!!

So why the parochialism over .ae domains?
.com is the BEST one, without a doubt......but .co.uk ....WHICH ANYONE CAN BUY.... IS BRILLIANT FOR THE UK...as well as international market.

Don't tell me that 60 MILLION UK RESIDENTS ARE UNIMPORTANT TO DUBAI............YOU NEED THEM DESPERATELY!!

If you are building DUBAILAND , where are your customers going to come from ?

EUROPE would be MAJOR!! Well you should use .de ; .fr and .co.uk as well as others.......and a MULTITUDE OF LANGUAGES!!

How the hell are you going to attract international customers with only .ae domains???

Put DUBAI into Google UK .
You will find ONLY .COM ; .NET. .CO.UK and .ORG ENTRIES !!

I invite you to look at www.visit-dubai.co.uk and discuss the Dubai domains......WITH.co.uk ; .com and .net endings you see there.

NO-ONE IS SUGGESTING YOU SCRAP a .AE DOMAIN......BUT YOU LINK IT TO A .co.uk VERSION AND A .fr and .de VERSION TOO , possibly !!

THINK GLOBALLY !!

By the way, my visit-dubai.co.uk is SECOND on Google.COM on a "visit dubai " search. So .co.uk does not hold it back !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
No responses then ?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 28, 2009
mods - whatever happened to the selling rule?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
Scarlet,

This is an important discussion point. Dubai is going down the tubes partly because it is not MARKETING itself more effectively and GLOBALLY on the internet. I have pointed out here that even though .ae domains may be great in selling Dubai around the Gulf...and to other Arabs......businesses need to apply .co.uk ; .fr and .de domain endings to get onto web-sites in Europe.

We are talking of the FUTURE OF DUBAI HERE ....with a major fundamental marketing point . So why nit-pick?
If things don't improve in Dubai , you will soon witness the greatest mass exodus since Moses crossed the Red Sea !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
scarlet wrote:mods - whatever happened to the selling rule?

Hey Scarlet, long time no see, how are you doing?

What selling rule BTW?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 30, 2009
Scarlet ,

Not from Llanelli by any chance, are you Scarlet ? Or were you once in "Gone with the wind?" [ We don't want that to be Dubai's epitaph !!]

If you have not participated for quite a while, the last time you wrote, Dubai may well have been booming!!

Well, the bubble has well and truly burst ........and Dubai needs to MARKET GLOBALLY ....not gaze at an Arabic navel and restrict itself on the internet with ".ae" domain names !!!
This is why I keep pushing the IDEAS and domains that are on visit-dubai.co.uk .

I have proved that a .co.uk site can climb to the top of the ".com" global version of Google as well as the British version [ highly important for the Dubai economy in itself] , so I make no apologies for pushing the site.

If you guys in Dubai want to keep your hitherto lucrative jobs ; push up the values of your properties and pull in inward investment, then you can all play your part by marketing Dubai more globally.
You will not silence the British Press , or that of other countries.
More investors , SHOPPERS and HOLIDAYMAKERS are needed to improve the situation ...... but it's a hell of a job to repair a bubble !!

Start with GLOBAL marketing of Dubai !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 01, 2009
I am surprised that expats living in Dubai are not discussing this important issue of .ae domain names.
I get the impression , from living in the UK that expats living in Dubai are afraid to discuss this, because it will be taken as a criticism of their Arab UAE employers and/or rulers.
All I can say is that whilst .ae domains may be fine for web-sites in the Gulf area, they are not going to do the job internationally.
.com domains are by far the best globally, but national domains of countries with large populations ...like .co.uk ; .de [Germany] and .fr [France] are also very important in getting a high placement for a Dubai web-site in a particular country.
So this is not a criticism of the .ae domain ending. But your Dubai web-site should be set up with other international endings , as well as .ae if you want to market Dubai properties, financial products ,holidays and shopping to the rest of the world.
If you want Dubai to be an international city, it must be marketed INTERNATIONALLY , not parochially.
THAT IS WHAT THE INTERNET IS ALL ABOUT.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 03, 2009
Expats are certainly shy of this one!! What's the problem ? It should be a MAJOR talking point.......marketing UAE goods globally!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 07, 2009
Still no responses ??
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 08, 2009
Hi S&O yeah been away for a while.

Redkite the topic is boring and you get no responses because you are trying to promoteyour domain selling business.

Get on to a teccie forum, or practice what you preach and set up some google ads to promote your .co.uk .de .whocares

You say you know about marketing, well you have got your target audience wrong in this forum.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 08, 2009
scarlet wrote:Hi S&O yeah been away for a while.

Redkite the topic is boring and you get no responses because you are trying to promoteyour domain selling business.

Get on to a teccie forum, or practice what you preach and set up some google ads to promote your .co.uk .de .whocares

You say you know about marketing, well you have got your target audience wrong in this forum.

With over 21000 registered users on DF, marketing here could prove effective. Granted this thread has not received very many views. But nothing wrong with persistence and it costs RK nothing!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 10, 2009
Hear !Hear ! Mis,
Scarlet, If you find the subject BORING, no wonder Dubai is FAILING . There must be many people like YOU out there ,who are only there to benefit THEMSELVES ....and to hell as to whether Dubai succeeds!!

If more expats in Dubai CARED about seeing Dubai businesses SUCCEED , then their OWN FUTURES would aalso be helped , because Dubai would have more success FINANCIALLY !

Maybe you're getting your tax-free money TOO easily , Scarlet ?

IF EVERY EXPAT DID THEIR BIT IN MARKETING AND PROMOTING DUBAI GLOBALLY ....then its economy would improve somewhat !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat