HELP!!

Topic locked
HELP!! May 13, 2009
Im of british national and soon i will be moving to dubai i was wondering if i can convert and international license to the Sharjah license.

nomi_q
Dubai Forum Guest

May 13, 2009
Seeking shortcuts? Nope lazy bum! You have to study hard and give a driving test like everyone else!
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 13, 2009
Yes you can. You need to swim across the red sea, ride the camel for 30 kms and then hitch hike your way back. This will ensure that you have the endurance and patience to drive in UAE.

Alternatively you could follow the old rules and convert it like you do in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

All the best. Just curious, which company are you joining, thus we know who is still recruiting in UAE.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 13, 2009
Wrong! If you have a UK drivers licence, you just convert it to a Sharjah one. Forget the international licence, unless you are using a hire car when you first get here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 13, 2009
^ Well Chocs, he would have to have his residence stamp first now wouldn't he? That in itself will take a few weeks........
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
the point raised by someone at some point of time remains valid -

why should one used to driving on the left hand side be allowed to rightaway swap licenses in a country with right handed traffic. - without going through an orientation programme?
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 13, 2009
Before you have a residence visa you can use an international drivers license, and I think (changed last year) you can probably use your English license.

[This was for Abu Dhabi so perhaps things are different in backwards Sharjah]

As for "Driving on the other side of the road OMG!!1". Don't be stupid. It takes 2 minutes for your skills to rearrange to driving on the opposite side. Certainly not an 'orientation programme'. Are you mental? Or have you just never left the UAE?

I've driven in Australia, France, USA, UAE and Thailand. If you have decent driving skills there is really nothing to worry about.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
orite thanks for that :P
nomi_q
Dubai Forum Guest

May 13, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:the point raised by someone at some point of time remains valid -

why should one used to driving on the left hand side be allowed to rightaway swap licenses in a country with right handed traffic. - without going through an orientation programme?

I'm guessing you have never driven somewhere that drives on the opposite side to here. If you're not a complete idiot, by the time you leave the carpark you are oriented enough. Plus, most driving is following the other traffic. The only time you sometimes get confused is if there is no one else around, but then it doesn't matter.

Honestly, it's not a problem. The only problem is bad drivers, no matter where they come from.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
I have t second that. Leftside/rightside doesn't really matter.

Also if that wasn't allowed what would be the point of an international licence? You \'d have to do an international test or something.

Finally, in the UK we have one of the toughest driving tests in the world. People really have to know their theory and practical to pass it. Not like other countries, where they get their licence free in a packet of Cheetos.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 13, 2009
It seems like here you get one free with the purchase of a Land Cruiser.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I have t second that. Leftside/rightside doesn't really matter.

Also if that wasn't allowed what would be the point of an international licence? You \'d have to do an international test or something.

Finally, in the UK we have one of the toughest driving tests in the world. People really have to know their theory and practical to pass it. Not like other countries, where they get their licence free in a packet of Cheetos.

Actually hon, we get ours off the box of the family size box of Cheerios cereal.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 13, 2009
Why Convert's in Sharjah one! why not Dubai drving licence or does it couldn't convert's to dubai driver's licence..
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

May 13, 2009
If I am not mistaken, your licence has to be in the same emirate as your residence visa.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
yeah sure - everyone thinks where they came from - they have the best systems in the world. That explains the "mess" here. A bit of local orientation never hurt anyone.......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 13, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:yeah sure - everyone thinks where they came from - they have the best systems in the world. That explains the "mess" here. A bit of local orientation never hurt anyone.......

God. People can never admit when they are wrong.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 13, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Finally, in the UK we have one of the toughest driving tests in the world. People really have to know their theory and practical to pass it. Not like other countries, where they get their licence free in a packet of Cheetos.

Funny girl. How does your arrogant rant correspond to the head post?

There are some people who are lucky to belong to the definite nations no more no less. They can convert their national license into the UAE one.

If you are all so smart arses why don't you voluntarily go and pass the simple UAE test as another expats do?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 13, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Finally, in the UK we have one of the toughest driving tests in the world. People really have to know their theory and practical to pass it. Not like other countries, where they get their licence free in a packet of Cheetos.

Funny girl. How does your arrogant rant correspond to the head post?

There are some people who are lucky to belong to the definite nations no more no less. They can convert their national license into the UAE one.

If you are all so smart arses why don't you voluntarily go and pass the simple UAE test as another expats do?

Now why would a smart arse do that when it's not necessary?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 13, 2009
Of course, they needn't. Simply I don't understand why Chocko needed to put it into such colourful wrapper...

Probably she can't hold her s@@t inside...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 13, 2009
Hey RC check this out...
I went to Google and I typed, Get a license for UK, Canada, USA, China respectively. For each search the first two- three results dispensed info regarding procedures to obtain a driving license.

I typed the same for Russia and the results I get are as follows:-

Russia lesbian couple denied marriage license

Start Betting Business in Russia NOW

Russians Lesbians Marriage License Rejected

Covert US Driving License to Russian

:D

Maybe you could spell out the virtues of a drivers test in Russia? :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 13, 2009
Continue searching. Google is for such half-educated students as you...

Why are you interested in it, scumbag? I passed the test in Sharjah 4 years ago as many other expats did.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:If I am not mistaken, your licence has to be in the same emirate as your residence visa.

Correct
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 14, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Continue searching. Google is for such half-educated students as you...

Why are you interested in it, scumbag? I passed the test in Sharjah 4 years ago as many other expats did.

Awww Old man's grouchy again.

Red Chief wrote:Continue searching. Google is for such half-educated students as you.

Let everyone look and laugh at that lame ass reply...

Besides if you really interested I could quote from databases like Proquest, but I doubt you'd have a subscription.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Besides if you really interested I could quote from databases like Proquest, but I doubt you'd have a subscription.

I'm not. I asked you why you had had your weird question about driving test in Russia.

If you insist go ahead - try to pass the exam for road rules :) :

http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/pdd/

You can also learn about the procedure there.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
michaeldubai wrote:yeah sure - everyone thinks where they came from - they have the best systems in the world. That explains the "mess" here. A bit of local orientation never hurt anyone.......

another lazy bum.I guess its becoz of pricks like you so many accidents take place on the roads.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 14, 2009
If you have an international driving permit or UK drivers licence and you are here on a visit visa, you could drive only 'rent a car' not a private car of your friend's or anyother's,

to drive a private car while on a visit visa, you just need to get a temporary license from dubai police or maybe RTA.,

and also, UK drivers licence could be converted to a UAE one if you are british.

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

May 14, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

another lazy bum.I guess its becoz of pricks like you so many accidents take place on the roads.

Ha! Moron.

This place has the worst drivers I've ever seen, but it's just because of the bad foreign drivers right? Not because of the unenforced speed limits, unenforced tinting laws, unenforced tailgating laws and generally blind cops who won't pull you over unless you actually run into them?

Nah, right. It's the drivers like me who cause all the accidents. Keep telling yourself that mate. I hope it protects you from the Landcruiser with the sunshade over his windshield doing 180 while talking on his mobile phone as he speeds past a cop car.

Moron.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 15, 2009
What the heck you blabbing about CA? You're way off. You sound drunk - which is okay if you're within the confines of your mutt-house. But make sure you're not driving! Enjoy the weekend.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 15, 2009
another redundant topic, which is discussed way too often.
Its nothing new that in the UAE, in the Gulf in general has the most dangerous, hence reckless, out of control drivers:
Now everyone can discuss this forever: it wont change the facts.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

May 15, 2009
Just to be Carefull when you Occuped the weel in Car!... keep the eye opne n Use to be with Mirror's .... you Can control if you're a Good driver!...
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat