How Hard Is It To Get A Job?

Topic locked
How hard is it to get a job? Apr 24, 2009
I have been looking in every direction for a job.
I mean earlier you could at lest get something but nowadays jobs are already reserved and then advertised
I keep applying on bayt and monstergulf but have not received a single call for the last 3 years
I mean how hard is it to find a decent job ?

deadlife
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 24, 2009
What ur profession?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 25, 2009
Maybe it's coz youre looking for a job that doesn't exist...
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 25, 2009
Would help to know what your profession/qualifications are, how you are presenting yourself and your cv.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 25, 2009
whats the format of a cv here in dubai anyway? does it need to have arabic typed also?
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 26, 2009
I wonder the same thing. Been looking for more than a month since I got laid off, but I got nothing despite of tens of applications. Being in Dubai myself still, doesn't help much (good luck if you're not residing in UAE, that would be tougher). Got few calls from agents but no follow up. Even one of them (Core Elements) was trying to scam me off.

Not sad but rather confusing since normally for many past years people sought and offered me jobs. I almost never sought for a job myself, even mostly the interview were done by phone.

I still feel confident with my experience and skills, though I wonder if either the job market is not up for my specific field (IT in Retail/Supply Chain) or maybe I'm just overqualified (hey I have discounted my expected salary from my previous one) ;)

I'm still staying here for another couple of months for some reasons. I hope I nail one by then.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 26, 2009
To put it simply : Very

Wife, although a qualified professional with good solid experience has been doing this since January and still no luck.

Ironcially she has had the same experience mentioned here. Has been applying through Bayt/bait ? and monstergulf, no response from that side yet and also Core elements also setup a interview aswell LOL, dunno about.

She has had around 3 interviews in 3 months. She did change jobs a few times before and didn't take more than a week to start getting calls for interiviews and 15 days to a months before landing a good offer.

Quite possibly the job market is over saturated at the moment, which makes it good news for the employers and bad news for the jobs seekers as more and more will become desperate and settle for shitty offers :(

Good luck to everyone. Don't lose hope. If its meant to happen it will :)
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 26, 2009
portland wrote:whats the format of a cv here in dubai anyway? does it need to have arabic typed also?

You don't need your CV in arabic.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 26, 2009
I am SO GLAD to hear everyone's misery posts so far...

Reason being, I landed here the week of the Global meltdown and had a HORRIFIC time trying to get interviews going...
I thought it was just me, even though I had ample experience and education...

1000 applications and 0 'real' phone calls later, I got a job through someone I met. The recruitment agents are hardly worth it and read off a sheet of paper...

My advice: Get out there and network yourself. BAYT and MG are a hunk of shite in this market...
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 26, 2009
I think you need to have several CVs in hand where you can show that your experience, knowledge and skills are transferrable to other areas and then submit accordingly.

Grammar and accuracy is very important on a CV. If you have someone who is a professional have them take a look at it or invest in a book on writing CVs or do online homework. See if you have find CVs on line that you can use as a model for you own.

There are certain key words that need to be used when describing "Responsibilities" or "Job Description".

If you can hang on until June or July I think that jobs will open as there may be an exodus and alot of those people were not made redundant, just leaving Dubai and waiting for the kiddies to finish school.

Good luck to all you job hunters. I wish you the best.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 26, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I think you need to have several CVs in hand where you can show that your experience, knowledge and skills are transferrable to other areas and then submit accordingly.

Grammar and accuracy is very important on a CV. If you have someone who is a professional have them take a look at it or invest in a book on writing CVs or do online homework. See if you have find CVs on line that you can use as a model for you own.

There are certain key words that need to be used when describing "Responsibilities" or "Job Description".

If you can hang on until June or July I think that jobs will open as there may be an exodus and alot of those people were not made redundant, just leaving Dubai and waiting for the kiddies to finish school.

Good luck to all you job hunters. I wish you the best.

Helpful post.

I disagree on the timing though... July is getting close to Ramadan when things go on shutdown. If you cannot find something by the end of June, I suggest the jobseekers hop on a flight back home and leave themselves some time to find a job there.

I think now is the right time: May, June. After Ramadan, depending on the economic climate, many companies will stay put (in terms of hiring) until the new year.

Just my $0.02
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 26, 2009
If you guys are hell bent on staying in Dubai ( like me) then this is a fine oppurtunity to pursue ur educational goals! Dubai offers a lot, so give it a shot. I'm in the job hunt too.....No jobs? No problem, I'll charge more when I do land a job. I'm confident of my skills and by year end, education wise, I'll be in a very elite bracket!
My point basically is if ur hanging on in Dubai, use ur time productively!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 26, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:If you guys are hell bent on staying in Dubai ( like me) then this is a fine oppurtunity to pursue ur educational goals! Dubai offers a lot, so give it a shot. I'm in the job hunt too.....No jobs? No problem, I'll charge more when I do land a job. I'm confident of my skills and by year end, education wise, I'll be in a very elite bracket!

Good positive thinking MCL. Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 26, 2009
Good luck to you MCL, but there is only so much you can learn in the classroom...

Having said that, there is nothing like higher education!
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 26, 2009
It's an employers market at the moment, they can pick and choose and basically offer whatever salaries they want.

Recruitment agencies are having a tough time too you know. My housemate works in recruitment, and she is bombarded by applications every single day, and no she can't get back to everyone, because guess what, for every job, there are literally thousands of applicants.

I hear about her nightmare at work,e very day. People are unrealistic in their expectations, and apply for jobs they haven't got a hope in hell of getting.

So it works both ways unfortunately.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 26, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:more will become desperate and settle for shitty offers :(

naahhh... i'm not going to have more shitty life in this shitty place. when there's no way, i'd rather going back to home country with "not so much" salary but "better" life.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 26, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:If you guys are hell bent on staying in Dubai ( like me) then this is a fine oppurtunity to pursue ur educational goals! Dubai offers a lot, so give it a shot. I'm in the job hunt too.....No jobs? No problem, I'll charge more when I do land a job. I'm confident of my skills and by year end, education wise, I'll be in a very elite bracket!

exactly. i'm also currently going for training and certification, though i was a bit hesitate in the first place to spend my own money (thousands of dirhams) in this difficult situation.

this place is rather strange! people look for theories & papers (degrees, certification) rather than best experience & skills, even in technical fields. and yet they're still paying below "standards"!
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 26, 2009
This will be job-specific but many (maybe most?) employers will ask for a CV but would actually prefer to have a résumé. The difference is mainly in the length of the document.

I think most people here do not know of this difference and since the term "CV" is more popular in this part of the world than "résumé", they ask for CVs indiscriminately. MDs, nurses, researchers, and architects may benefit from a CV but I would certainly prefer a brief résumé for most jobs, even highly technical ones like in IT.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 26, 2009
CV - Resume, surely they are the same?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 26, 2009
They're not. A CV is comprehensive whereas a résumé only has the highlights. I personally don't care to know about most candidates' high school extracurricular activities nor their race, religion, or marital status.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 27, 2009
The boody employers here ( more so in the pvt sector) know not what they seek. Bloody illetrates if you ask me, who landed the job either through influence or spreading their legs. It may sound harsh, but is very prevalent.
The problem is that Dubai needs to have Dubai standards. You have people from all over the world coming here, in one company the recruiting manager is Indian, in another Lebanese...everyone has different expectations.
In many companies the HR manager butts in and tries and recruits, especially Indians on an ego drive.
The market here is still in a nascent stage, with time will grow up.
I normally submit a CV, cuz thats what's asked.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 27, 2009
What kind of courses are people looking for to prepare for their next jobs these days in Dubai ?

Any ideas on how to network for those who are looking for jobs in Dubai.
khawar
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 27, 2009
kinda hard here without connections or unless u have a lot of experience
JBR_Resident
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 27, 2009
What about the headhunters?
lifegauge
Dubai Forum User

Apr 27, 2009
khawar wrote:What kind of courses are people looking for to prepare for their next jobs these days in Dubai ?

Any ideas on how to network for those who are looking for jobs in Dubai.

As far as courses go...I'm a finance guy. So I'm kinda loading up on the certifications. Ther's lots to learn in the finance space!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: How hard is it to get a job? Apr 27, 2009
deadlife wrote:I have been looking in every direction for a job.
I mean earlier you could at lest get something but nowadays jobs are already reserved and then advertised
I keep applying on bayt and monstergulf but have not received a single call for the last 3 years
I mean how hard is it to find a decent job ?

Case of 8 out of 10 people here. Don't lose heart.... something somewhere is kept for you... Even if you don't go there... it will come to you.

Don't give up! Good luck.
vera.chandler
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat