Sammy The Shark Is Innocent

Topic locked
Sammy the Shark is innocent Jan 18, 2009
lets have it then.....

Should Sammy the Shark be held hostage by Sol Kerzner at Atlantis
or should Sammy be set free to swim the oceans as God intended

Sorry guys, was trying to do this as a poll but it didn't work!!

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Sammy the Shark is innocent Jan 18, 2009
smoggie wrote:lets have it then.....

Should Sammy the Shark be held hostage by Sol Kerzner at Atlantis
or should Sammy be set free to swim the oceans as God intended

Sorry guys, was trying to do this as a poll but it didn't work!!

no one of us will like to live in a cage after to be free moving here in there
Miss_lolly
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 18, 2009
Should be ok with a couple of tons of batter and chips
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 19, 2009
im from new zealand we hate people touching whales when whaling ships come over to kill the whales we get right in there way trying to help them out, ram there boats chuck stuff at them :) i was taking to some locals they said that they used to swim with him they even had videos of it its pretty bad even if its the biggest fish tank but thats what it is a fish tank if he was brought up in there diffent story but to take him out of the ocean? they said he was stressd and stuff haha and didn't have enuff food ? dont know if im right or worng but if so he could of just got out of here wouldn't it be cool if they had a whale watching boat where you could pay money and go see him? would be much better

ever seen free willy what do you think haha
detox
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 19, 2009
how is that innocent?

:roll:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
they should keep him inside
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
Is it true that the whale has converted to Judaism?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
naruto wrote:they should keep him inside

No they shouldn't! For what? financial gain? which is the only reason they have it there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:

No they shouldn't! For what? financial gain? which is the only reason they have it there.

do you only want the sammy to be set free?

there are more captured in other countries too!!!!

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Yes I would like to see them all go free obviously. But seeing as Sammy is the one where I live, at least I can actively do something about that!

Oh look I now have all the mobile numbers to the management of Atlantis, so i am going to bombard them with text messages and phone calls, demanding the release of Sammy.

What are you doing?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
ok lets say they set free sammy...

but what about other sammy's !!! in other countries?

sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Is there any evidence of Sammy being unhappy in that tank?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
The point is to get one free, then you can work on the rest.

Don't you get the fact that Atlantis 'lied' to everyone from the start! It was never in distress, never floundering, never starving, they paid fishermen to catch it!

They have never had any intention of letting her go. It will die in captivity, 2 died in the states last year alone. These animals do not survive captive. They are protected and very little is known about them. Better to tag her and set her free.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
why they have it here is for attraction and attention....

the other day recently gulfnews mentioned that RAK fishermen caught one and let that free...dont know for what reason....

sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Choco

What happened to the campaign to set the fish free????
It had some momentum prior to xmas and then everybody gave up!

Smogger
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009

What, like, in his bedroom?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
The tactic now on the FB group is to bombard the management with text messages. They have gotten hold of all their mobile numbers. It's a case of finding was to put the pressure on, as direct action cannot be done here.

7 Days has supported the cause from day 1.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:The tactic now on the FB group is to bombard the management with text messages. They have gotten hold of all their mobile numbers. It's a case of finding was to put the pressure on, as direct action cannot be done here.

okay!!!! are there any campaigns for other sammy's or only for this Dubai Sammy?

why is it only for this fish!!!!?

sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
cool. That tactic needs to be publiscised!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
sharfraz wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The tactic now on the FB group is to bombard the management with text messages. They have gotten hold of all their mobile numbers. It's a case of finding was to put the pressure on, as direct action cannot be done here.

okay!!!! are there any campaigns for other sammy's or only for this Dubai Sammy?

I don't know! Stop with the bloody WHY'S already! Geez it's like a child, why this why that. Use google and find out!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
sharfraz wrote:

I don't know! Stop with the bloody WHY'S already! Geez it's like a child, why this why that. Use google and find out!

I DONT NEED TO!!!!!!

Its the same as you said in other post!!!!!

If you support the cause, then don't bother and let those of us who doNT get on with it.

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
I'm sure there are, but the point is, we want this one freed! End of! It shouldn't be in there.

By the way FYI, because you can't be bothered:

A whale shark is featured as the main attraction of Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan and as of 2005, three whale sharks are being studied in captivity at the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium in Japan. Four whale sharks, two males, Taroko, and Yushan,[16] and two females, Alice and Trixie, are held in the Georgia Aquarium, in Atlanta. Two male whale sharks, Ralph and Norton, died in captivity at the Georgia Aquarium on January 11, 2007 and June 13, 2007 respectively.[17] The two males were added on June 3, 2006 in hopes that reproduction in whale sharks could be studied in captivity. All six whale sharks were imported from Taiwan, where whale sharks are dubbed tofu sharks because of the taste and texture of the flesh. One whale shark is held in captivity in the Atlantis Hotel in Dubai. As of October 2008, there is growing pressure to release the animal back to its natural environment [18]
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Whale sharks shouldn't be kept captivated.
They already tag them in the wild and if you want to contribute to the species, please learn to dive and spot one in shallow waters by using an underwater camera and take a picture of the white spots just behind its gills, above the left pectoral fins.
Report here: http://whaleshark.org/photographing.jsp?langCode=en

Don't harm the creature. Its the largest massive shark we got out there and its a beauty!

:cyclopsani:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I'm sure there are, but the point is, we want this one freed! End of! It shouldn't be in there.

A whale shark is featured as the main attraction of Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan and as of 2005, three whale sharks are being studied in captivity at the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium in Japan. Four whale sharks, two males, Taroko, and Yushan,[16] and two females, Alice and Trixie, are held in the Georgia Aquarium, in Atlanta. Two male whale sharks, Ralph and Norton, died in captivity at the Georgia Aquarium on January 11, 2007 and June 13, 2007 respectively.[17] The two males were added on June 3, 2006 in hopes that reproduction in whale sharks could be studied in captivity. All six whale sharks were imported from Taiwan, where whale sharks are dubbed tofu sharks because of the taste and texture of the flesh. One whale shark is held in captivity in the Atlantis Hotel in Dubai. As of October 2008, there is growing pressure to release the animal back to its natural environment [18]

dear why dont u tell us what have u done to those whale shark ..they have been in captivity before atlantis whale shark ..why we didnt hear ur voice since u speake for them or its just to blame dubai..
i dont care if they release it or not ..for me its just a fish ..but for u its just to show that dubai is evil ..try again ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
naruto wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'm sure there are, but the point is, we want this one freed! End of! It shouldn't be in there.

dear why dont u tell us what have u done to those whale shark ..they have been in captivity before atlantis whale shark ..why we didnt hear ur voice since u speake for them or its just to blame dubai..
i dont care if they release it or not ..for me its just a fish ..but for u its just to show that dubai is evil ..try again ..

Whats this for single-minded talk?
Your either with me...or against me...on the fish. Either way...you should leave Dubai.
Thats basically what your saying. Is this another MB, UAE kid coming to the table? Damn, these folks are getting lamer by the minute.

I definately hope these guys aren't emirati locals, cause if it is, these guys aren't reasonable.
RobbyG

Jan 19, 2009
It's funny how every thread, no matter what it is about ends up being "The west is evil, Islam is great, evil westerners have ruined good old dubai and they should leave".

FFS!!!!

What is wrong with these mugs?

We were taling about a feckin shark captured by a feckin hotel, owned by a 4x2!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
naruto wrote:dear why dont u tell us what have u done to those whale shark ..they have been in captivity before atlantis whale shark ..why we didnt hear ur voice since u speake for them or its just to blame dubai..

Baloney. There's nothing hypocritical about taking more decisive action to address wrongdoings perpetrated in your own back yard than in response to those happening halfway around the world. Everyone here has a connection to Dubai, and has an interest in its welfare; Dubai is home to many (most?) of the posters here, including the one to whom you responded. It's entirely natural that, of all the whale sharks in all the aquariums in all the cities on earth, Sammy weighs most heavily on the minds of folks here at DF. That's not "Dubai is evil". That's "Dubai is home".

In other words, you threw a red herring into a thread devoted to a shark. Almost poetic, enit?
kullervo
Dubai Forum User

Jan 19, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
naruto wrote:

Your either with me...or against me...on the fish. Either way...you should leave Dubai.
Thats basically what your saying. Is this another MB, UAE kid coming to the table? Damn, these folks are getting lamer by the minute.

I definately hope these guys aren't emirati locals, cause if it is, these guys aren't reasonable.

please read what i have said before u start trolling ..if the same whale is held in so many different countries why start with dubai ..why u dont buy a ticket and go there to protest ..ppl here are trying to pick on the negative things ..i never seen anyone thanks the gov.for the good things they done for u ..all i see is complains and more complains ..locals dont know how to drive ..a whale is being captured ..a local guy beat his wife ..get a life and be real..this is happing everywhere ..now who is the single minded ?? things are worse in ur homeland.. but u want to make the changes here ..i feel sorry for u ..may god help u ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
ok naruto!!!!

everyone is a human!!!!

a local or not!!!!doesnt make any sense!!!! right!!!!!

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
naruto wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
naruto wrote:

please read what i have said before u start trolling ..if the same whale is held in so many different countries why start with dubai ..why u dont buy a ticket and go there to protest ..ppl here are trying to pick on the negative things ..i never seen anyone thanks the gov.for the good things they done for u ..all i see is complains and more complains ..locals dont know how to drive ..a whale is being captured ..a local guy beat his wife ..get a life and be real..this is happing everywhere ..now who is the single minded ?? things are worse in ur homeland.. but u want to make the changes here ..i feel sorry for u ..may god help u ..

Please read what I have sad.....blablabla.
I think most of us consider ourselves worldcitizen. Not just a country or a region. We love the World. When are you going to understand that!!? Is is so hard, to reckonize people actually CARE about our world and people around us!
When I'm in Japan, I put money into the economy when buying stuff. I see places and cultures and have fun being a tourist. But I also care about animal life. So some of us go to zoo's and harbours to see how things are going. Some protest, some don't. Some eat sharkfin soap, some don't. Don't you understand!!! There are differences in every country and every person.

Dubai's got a attraction too. Shark Sammy. Wiiii..enjoy...NOT. This creature doesn't like 50 degrees Celcius in the summer. Its wants to find plankton and other types of food in its natural habitat. It doesn't need us. So lets leave these creatures alone. There is enough hunting going on for its fins and liver in Japan, Norway etc.
If Dubai starts exploiting these things too, the end is gone. We just ruin every population left thats out there, and there is not much of its species remaining in the oceans across the world.

Its doesn't matter where you start. But end it before it cannot be stopped anymore. I'm glad some people still care. You can't import everything you want Arabs. There are ethical and moral limits to your oil dimes...this is one of them.
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat