Pay Cut

Topic locked
Pay Cut Dec 06, 2008
We have been hearing a lot of laying offs these days..

How much percentage of pay cut would you take?

:?

sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Re: Pay Cut Dec 06, 2008
sharfraz wrote:We have been hearing a lot of laying offs these days..

How much percentage of pay cut would you take?

:?

None. Living on minimum age is hard enough as it is. Do you think the landlords will reduce rents or the shops make items cheaper? When that happens, then maybe we can afford to be paid less.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 06, 2008
what you are talking abt? just got confirmed a 20% rise for 2009 (was 15% for 2008)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 06, 2008
If they offered me a pay cut rather than lose my job I'd probably take the 'severance' pay and bugger off back home, assuming it was at least a few months pay. If not I'd take the cut and start preparing to go home as soon as I was able.

While we are talking pay, would I get any severance pay if I was laid off? I'm on a two year contract so they would be breaking the contract.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 06, 2008
most countries I have worked in treat expat workers a lot differently than local workers, but then nothing about the UAE is done to the same standards as the rest of the world anyway.
Being completely selfish, I have been with the same US based global Oil company for 15 years. I'd just get moved to another exotic location, or I'd get at least 15 months salary if I was paid off so I'm really not bothered :D
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 06, 2008
thankfully I am not getting a pay-cut however I am not getting a pay-raise either :( plus my promotion is frozen until further notice.

the company I work for, froze all pay raises and promotions globally to everyone. (and yes I work for a US multinational company)

last time we got 30% raise... next year we get nothing!!!! :(
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 06, 2008
I hear that the staff costs at our company are planned to go down by 15%.

That leaves me wondering.... wil 15% jobs be lost?

Pay cut looks like a good option. I will probably prefer taking a pay cut... How much? Don't know..
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 07, 2008
quatroporte wrote:thankfully I am not getting a pay-cut however I am not getting a pay-raise either :( plus my promotion is frozen until further notice.

the company I work for, froze all pay raises and promotions globally to everyone. (and yes I work for a US multinational company)

I bet you wished you took that job in Australia now..
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 07, 2008
Galactico wrote:
quatroporte wrote:thankfully I am not getting a pay-cut however I am not getting a pay-raise either :( plus my promotion is frozen until further notice.

its a yes and no... the offer in Australia is still considered too low... and yeah right now I am looking for another job.

where are you mate? being missing for a while, I hope all is ok with you in UK?
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 07, 2008
quatroporte wrote:
Galactico wrote:

its a yes and no... the offer in Australia is still considered too low... and yeah right now I am looking for another job.

where are you mate? being missing for a while, I hope all is ok with you in UK?

All is good mate :)

Few months back got a new job so hardly have time to check the fourms has before :(

The job market should be good for you with your experience... :wink:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 08, 2008
There has been a freeze on hiring in the banking industry and huge layoffs in the investment banking..given a choice of Pay cut vs Job loss with severance pay most of the guys in the organisation I worked for took the pay cut option. The redundancy package was 15 months basic.
wp7200
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat