Tailgaters

Topic locked
Tailgaters Nov 11, 2008
I had 4 separate incidents yesterday, on a drive down to Abu Dhabi, of guys coming up behind you when you are doing the speed limit and a little more and sitting right on my back bumper! I mean RIGHT on it!

One car was so close that when I looked out of the rear view mirror, I could not see the bonnet (hood) of his car at all, just this Indian dude in shades gripping the steering wheel really hard! He must have been less than an inch from the back of my car and we were doing 160kmph!

If someone does this to you, its intimidating to the extreme. Needless to say...I turned my lights on. He thought they were brake lights and it was quite funny watching him try to slam the brakes on and get control again! He got a mouth full of verbal as well!

Twats!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 11, 2008
160 kmph.... you were also speeding... that was not the limit on that road...
even on the speed lanes.. 8)

I dont like tailgaters and tailgating....

if someone does this., i will move on to right lane and give him way...

worst drivers everywhere....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 11, 2008
tailing does not intimidate me even at high speeds. i use the light trick that you just mentioned or I actually brake to make them back off.

See alot of people here are misinformed, even at the driving tuition centres. For the bikes and cars they teach you a two car gap or two bike gap on road. However, the correct term is called a two-second gap and this is whats vital to keeping you alive.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 11, 2008
If I'm in the outside lane, nobody in front of me and see some half wit screaming down the road approaching fast then I will pull over to let them go, no point in being stupid about it, but what gets me are the real tossers that come hard up the back of you when there's traffic in front of you.
These people are "so important" that they feel everybody else should part like the red sea and let them get to their destination. Now those people do get the braking treatment.
What I want to do is rig up a separate reservoir to my rear windscreen washer, fill it with oil or something suitably viscous and point it directly behind me in a kind of Wacky races styleee
:lol:
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 11, 2008
^d1ck dastardlyyyyy lol
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 11, 2008
I'm more amazed by your ability to find the nationality of the dude @ 160kmph..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 11, 2008
Tailgating is not just a common occurrence here in Dubai but it's a widespread horrible sickness.

Those who tailgate so closely must be mentally retarded to take such a high risk with their lives and the lives of the others.

I've never seen it to this extent anywhere in the world, even the in the other gulf countries.

Astonishing indeed!!

:o :o

P.S. DK can spot an Indian a mile away at 160km/hr, not just an inch away!
He's been in Dubai too long :lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 11, 2008
with his rear mirror or with his binoculars.... :glasses7:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 12, 2008
The worst are the ones who tail you at 160k, with a child in the car who is not buckled in and a "baby on board" sticker on the back window
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2008
haha ya those people are nuts, I was going on a weekend out of town with my (now ex) girlfriend, and this guy was tailgating me badly. Since there was no one else on the road and the road is 2 lanes i changed lanes and he went right behind me again! I really got pissed at a point so i changed lanes and i braked abruptly, then I went behind him. I was fuming so badly that I didn't realize I had a cop on my tail for 10 minutes, and I was doing 155 an hour! The cop stopped the 2 of us, and considering his size I didn't want to argue too much :idea:
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2008
Tailgaters are bad people

Also DK can spot an Indian like dumb visually-challenged people think I look Asian.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 12, 2008
I could tell he was Indian...he was that bloody close!

(also had something to do with the Indian national flag sticker on his windshield!)

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 12, 2008
I HATE tailgaiters.

If you are going faster than me and I'm in the fast lane I will move over... IF I CAN. If I can't because there is a car next to me then you will just have to wait. Who are these people that think they are so important that they can't wait 10 seconds?

I'm in a hire car with full insurance too so the temptation to slam the brakes on is very high sometimes.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 12, 2008
slamming the brakes...too dangerous..while you're tailgated..

damn..what if the guy tailgates loses his control....will be slamming your car
then....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 12, 2008
What is it with those people who always seem to want to physically get close to you or bump you, i.e., violate your personal space? And the attitude of needing to be first in everything no matter where and how, like desperate.
I think that kind of mentality is just reflecting on how they drive.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Nov 12, 2008
He must have been using the air tunnel behind you to reduce the drag DK :lol: saving a bit on fuel i guess hehehe.
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2008
Maybe the tailgating car want's to kiss the other car. :P
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2008
puppypup wrote:Maybe the tailgating car want's to kiss the other car. :P

He could kiss my cars ass!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 14, 2008
Captain Australia wrote:If I can't because there is a car next to me then you will just have to wait.

I brake hard, then pull in behind the car next to me to let the tailgater go past. I never understand why they get so steamed up then - I've done what they wanted no?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 16, 2008
I so want to use the middle finger on these guys ...

Would i get a higher Fine if I give the finger to a tailgater ??

would he even get a fine ??
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2008
yeh..its just fine...if you pull up your car and give your finger to him
...he wont be bothered to take it and get away from that place...

:argue:

:wink: :wink:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 16, 2008
Its horrible and very dangerous I usually slow down and make them change lanes. There seems to be no rules on overtaking or undertaking so they dont stay long, as soon as there's a space they're gone.

I dont change lanes when they do this to me as I have usually been blinded by their flashing high beam!
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 16, 2008
seardarren wrote:Its horrible and very dangerous I usually slow down and make them change lanes. There seems to be no rules on overtaking or undertaking so they dont stay long, as soon as there's a space they're gone.

I dont change lanes when they do this to me as I have usually been blinded by their flashing high beam!

DIFC? Ithsmian League I assume??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 16, 2008
yeah right, I once slowed down because this maniac was right behind me tailgating and flashing headlights. Apart from the fact that the right lane was occupied upto the front and I had nowhere to go unless I knocked one of the right guys off or climb onto the median, I was losing my concentration with the horning and flashing. best i could do was slow down.

Here is the shock:
After 1 hour , i get a phone call and am called to the police station. the guy behind me complained against me!!! Worst of all - he was a CID.
Told the officers that I should be complaining against him, the reply I got was that the CID complained first so he got priority. In short, I just had to kiss my rear, apologize, suck up to him and leave.

Go figure - thats life here.......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 16, 2008
What was the charge? Too slow in the fast lane??

I don't think it's wise to annoy anybody even if you're right and they are wrong.

Always do your best to get out of their way at the first opportunity!

The reason: it's really not worth it to get yourself upset, or to get into a confrontation!

Right???

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 16, 2008
Tom Jones wrote:What was the charge? Too slow in the fast lane??

I don't think it's wise to annoy anybody even if you're right and they are wrong.

Always do your best to get out of their way at the first opportunity!

The reason: it's really not worth it to get yourself upset, or to get into a confrontation!

Right???

8) 8)

No sorry, can't agree with that one.

If you are in the 'second overtaking lane' (it isn't legally a 'fast lane') and there is no option for you to pull over due to traffic, then the car behind cannot ride your bumper and flash his lights...cop or no cop! If the driver of that vehicle had used sufficient anticipation and observation, then he would not have chosen the route behind you in that lane.

If you just give in, then they will continue to intimidate. I actually go out of my way to block these idiots and I give them a visual sign...its usually the right hand rocking.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Tailgaters Nov 17, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:I had 4 separate incidents yesterday, on a drive down to Abu Dhabi, of guys coming up behind you when you are doing the speed limit and a little more and sitting right on my back bumper! I mean RIGHT on it!

One car was so close that when I looked out of the rear view mirror, I could not see the bonnet (hood) of his car at all, just this Indian dude in shades gripping the steering wheel really hard! He must have been less than an inch from the back of my car and we were doing 160kmph!

If someone does this to you, its intimidating to the extreme. Needless to say...I turned my lights on. He thought they were brake lights and it was quite funny watching him try to slam the brakes on and get control again! He got a mouth full of verbal as well!

Twats!

Knight

Hey Knight Rider, don't drill to thrill, why are you thrilling with your 160% disaster, nobody in their right mind can do this stunt , not even if your are towing a car with a rope at 160.

Please, get real.
britisharab
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 17, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
seardarren wrote:Its horrible and very dangerous I usually slow down and make them change lanes. There seems to be no rules on overtaking or undertaking so they dont stay long, as soon as there's a space they're gone.

DIFC? Ithsmian League I assume??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Right there with with Eastbourne Town.
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Tailgaters Nov 17, 2008
britisharab wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:I had 4 separate incidents yesterday, on a drive down to Abu Dhabi, of guys coming up behind you when you are doing the speed limit and a little more and sitting right on my back bumper! I mean RIGHT on it!

Twats!

Knight

Hey Knight Rider, don't drill to thrill, why are you thrilling with your 160% disaster, nobody in their right mind can do this stunt , not even if your are towing a car with a rope at 160.

Please, get real.

So maybe it was you behind me?

If it was, I would have slammed my brakes on instead and watch you pile into my boot. The law is clear. If you hit someone from behind, its your fault. Period. My car is fully insured and it would be the other guy picking up the tab.

I will do 'this stunt' every time some knob-end sits 1" from my rear bumper. If he hits me, I would then probably pull what is left of him from the mangled remains of his car and give it a good kicking!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 17, 2008
I'm thinking about getting High Beam lights put in my back windows pointing backwards =)
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat