What's Up With The New Speed Cameras On SZR

Topic locked
Nov 06, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
funkygibbon wrote:
if we were in person i'd raise my right index finger to your nose and say "smell yer maw"

the one that stands on its own on SZR near safa (which is the same as the new ones on the stretch near ghantoot) has been there for a month or so, and it flashes

With right middle finger firmly held vertical I would respond in equal verbosity that you were still caught by the old type radar cameras. The new ones are very distinctive in that they are a tall, thin round pole in silver and blue stripes. These are not yet installed on SZR. Official.

I know the one you mean and it is in an oval casing on a thin stand pole. Its the old type, just in a new case.

Knight

I think they are now installed and working on the Emirates road. And like DK quite rightly points out they DO NOT FLASH.

------------------------------------

aaah, i see what's going on here... you guys are lovers?

funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 06, 2008
edited

there is no need to get personal

:P
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 06, 2008
edited again

dont get personal

:P

MOD
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 06, 2008
Oooooooo... what did you say? haha

Cheers, I think my question has been answered. Ta everyone.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 07, 2008
i have heard that if the speed limit is 120 kph and you are speeding lets say 130 kph and slow down to 120 kph before the camera. but speed off again once the camera has passed, and you are speeding at lets say 140kph and the distance from the camera is 0.5km, the camera or radar will be able to detect you and fine you. Is this correct?

does anyone know about this?
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 07, 2008
motion wrote:i have heard that if the speed limit is 120 kph and you are speeding lets say 130 kph and slow down to 120 kph before the camera. but speed off again once the camera has passed, and you are speeding at lets say 140kph and the distance from the camera is 0.5km, the camera or radar will be able to detect you and fine you. Is this correct?

I heard it too..., i cant confirm., the penalty for that is heavy...

and also i heard that from one point to another point it calculates the
maximum time taken with maximum speed of that road., so., if it finds that
you have been speeding to reach the destination..you're caught .,and you've
to pay for it....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 07, 2008
sharfraz wrote:
motion wrote:i have heard that if the speed limit is 120 kph and you are speeding lets say 130 kph and slow down to 120 kph before the camera. but speed off again once the camera has passed, and you are speeding at lets say 140kph and the distance from the camera is 0.5km, the camera or radar will be able to detect you and fine you. Is this correct?

I heard it too..., i cant confirm., the penalty for that is heavy...

and also i heard that from one point to another point it calculates the
maximum time taken with maximum speed of that road., so., if it finds that
you have been speeding to reach the destination..you're caught .,and you've
to pay for it....

lol they gone nuts. good thing i work from home feel sorry for you guys seriously :P
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 07, 2008
well id like to see how they catch u when you're on a motorbike :)
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 08, 2008
Speeding around on a motorbike in Dubai. Hmm... I don't think they will need to catch you, nature will take care of itself.

... just kidding. But take care out there. The amount of random, fast, no-looking lane changes is crazy.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Re: What's up with the new speed cameras on SZR Nov 08, 2008
hey guys . be very careful of the new cameras in sSZ and emirates road . the blue cameras are not only made to catch the speed. it contains a video camera which can monitor all the traffic movement and how drivers behave ..i mean if you overtake a lane without using the signal light you might get a fine.....if you throw any thing from your car you might as well get a fine...which am pretty sure you don;t dom guys but in case....
maximun speed in emirates road now is 140 km/hr
Absou
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 10, 2008
Captain Australia wrote:Speeding around on a motorbike in Dubai. Hmm... I don't think they will need to catch you, nature will take care of itself.

... just kidding. But take care out there. The amount of random, fast, no-looking lane changes is crazy.

I know what you mean, i only speed when roads are empty... Drive slower than normal when there is traffic though because alot of people move in and out of lanes suddenly like they are playing snakes and ladders or something.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 13, 2008
take a close look at the new cams and you will see that every other is fake and the real ones are still empty... At least those on the highway to AD...
cRyotanK
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 17, 2008
They're all over Emirates road too! Didn't see any of them flash when I went down - oh crap!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 17, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:They're all over Emirates road too! Didn't see any of them flash when I went down - oh crap!

According to informed sources the ones on Emirates road do not flash
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 18, 2008
sensys.se/Templates/ProductOverview1.aspx?PageID=3605d4c1-6b33-4c2b-8f79-0f5076ad685

these are the new cameras. and i believe they do flash. the come with tailgating and lane change options but lane change can only be enforced where there is a continuous white lane, whereas tailgating can only be enforced if the camera is taking a picture from the back(otherwise the car will be too close to the next to take a front picture in case of very close tailgating) please post here if there any more info =)

(add h t t p : / / and w w w behind the above link as this is my first post)
clegg
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 18, 2008
cameras dont flash in the daylight.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 18, 2008
This is INSANE!!!

Check out this paragraph:

"The infra-red camera uses an invisible
flash so that it will not be seen when IR INFRA-RED
a photo is taken. This may be convenient for example
in residential areas where one does not wish to
disturb residents with a white visible flash."

This btw applies only to the Mobile Speed Safety System (the mobile cameras) and not the SSS ("Speed Safety System" - the poles you see on SZR) according to:
(.pdf files below)
sensys.se/BinaryLoader.aspx?OwnerID=248137be-f88c-4901-b8fd-d418c0dce447&OwnerType=2&ModuleID=a8429cd5-a9d9-4e2b-a1d8-4a7cf26cd7a3&PropertyCollectionName=Content&PropertyName=Files&ValueIndex=0
and
sensys.se/BinaryLoader.aspx?OwnerID=60f74ff8-c4a6-4de3-8732-55d02bc65805&OwnerType=2&ModuleID=a8429cd5-a9d9-4e2b-a1d8-4a7cf26cd7a3&PropertyCollectionName=Content&PropertyName=Files&ValueIndex=0

and for more details:
sensys.se/Templates/ProductInformation1.aspx?PageID=248137be-f88c-4901-b8fd-d418c0dce447
sensys.se/Templates/ProductOverview1.aspx?PageID=60f74ff8-c4a6-4de3-8732-55d02bc65805

I do hope they're not active yet, otherwise .......
rupesh
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah, that's the one. The blue one from the catalog.

Interesting reading. It says that it can track multiple targets up to 150 metres away, then it gets them when they get close enough to take the photo.

So you'd better make sure you're not speeding 150 metres away, rather than slow down right on them like you can do with the current cameras.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 19, 2008
Now what was I saying in my earlier posts?

Hmmm...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 19, 2008
I got flashed at 128km, in a 100km section on SZR. 600AED fine. Used to be able to do 140km all the way from World Trade Centre to Marina.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 19, 2008
Not that the Doc advocates speeding (just getting from A to B in a velocitous manner), but I checked my fines this week and I haven't been hit with anything in November (and for the last two weeks I've been thinking the tall grey posts were for traffic monitoring), so I haven't been slowing down for them. This either means:

1) They aren't active yet.

2) I've got a truckload of new fines headed my way.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2008
Dr Strangeglove wrote:Not that the Doc advocates speeding (just getting from A to B in a velocitous manner), but I checked my fines this week and I haven't been hit with anything in November (and for the last two weeks I've been thinking the tall grey posts were for traffic monitoring), so I haven't been slowing down for them. This either means:

may be no 2

:lol:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

speed cams Nov 20, 2008
For those who drive to the office, you have probably notice the NEW RADAR. You will find below details that have been communicated to me:

These are not just nicer looking radar cameras -so be careful.

First thing is that these cameras do NOT flash. They can take photos in complete darkness through ultra-light sensors, so even if it does not flash, it could have caught you. They also automatically read your number plate from the picture taken.

Now, comes the thing that catches most people. These cameras are continuous photo-taking cameras and they will take your photo regardless if you have been speeding or not. Then the next camera in 3-5 kms again does the same. Now, instead of checking your speed through advanced radars, these cameras are very simple and all they do is calculate how fast you traveled between the 2 cameras. If you arrived at the next camera faster than 120 km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) then you get fined.

What does this mean?
It means that you can stop speeding up between cameras and slowing down as it does not matter anymore. If you are speeding in between 2 cameras you will get fined.
Furthermore, don't be fooled by no flash flashing that the camera is not working.

Anyone not knowing this, should check out their fines and see if they got anything lately.
You can check it here: Ooops cant do it yet
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Re: speed cams Nov 20, 2008
busa wrote:
Now, comes the thing that catches most people. These cameras are continuous photo-taking cameras and they will take your photo regardless if you have been speeding or not. Then the next camera in 3-5 kms again does the same. Now, instead of checking your speed through advanced radars, these cameras are very simple and all they do is calculate how fast you traveled between the 2 cameras. If you arrived at the next camera faster than 120 km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) then you get fined.

What does this mean?
It means that you can stop speeding up between cameras and slowing down as it does not matter anymore. If you are speeding in between 2 cameras you will get fined.
Furthermore, don't be fooled by no flash flashing that the camera is not working.

I did include that in my previous post...

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 20, 2008
I highly doubt they are average speed cameras i.e two cameras working together
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: speed cams Nov 20, 2008
busa wrote: If you arrived at the next camera faster than 120 km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) then you get fined.

So now there is no 20 km/hr "grace" ?
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: speed cams Nov 21, 2008
redtilldead wrote:
busa wrote: If you arrived at the next camera faster than 120 km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) then you get fined.

So now there is no 20 km/hr "grace" ?

There is supposed to be a + or - 10% factor to allow for innacuracies in your speedometer...so your upper limit would be 132 kmph. But if you sit at this speed and you speedometer is slightly out, you may be doing more than that...in which case, you get a ticket!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 21, 2008
Dr Strangeglove wrote:... This either means:

read here:
elfurl . com/poaxg

maybe we're lucky and they're not "considered/reliable/authorized/implemented" yet thus still being under testing...
rupesh
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 24, 2008
New Traffic Cameras in Dubai are not just nice looking - they are intelligent technology.

First thing is that these cameras do NOT flash. They can take photos in complete darkness through ultra-light sensors, so even if it does not flash, it could have caught you. They also automatically read your number plate from the picture taken.

Now, here comes the catch. These cameras are continuous photo-taking cameras and they will take your photo regardless if you have been speeding or not. Then the next camera in 1-5 kms again does the same. Now, instead of checking your speed through advanced radars, these cameras are very simple and all they do is calculate how fast you traveled between the 2 cameras. If you arrived at the next camera faster than 120 km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) then you get fined.

What does this mean?

» High-resolution digital images
» Continuous speed verification by applying two independent methods
» Number plate and/or driver identification
» Secure remote communication and setup
» Local storage capacity of up to 400,000 images (optional)
» Provides information about time, date, location, vehicle speed, speed limit
» Supports front or rear photography, or both simultaneously
» Non-intrusive technology, no devices buried in the road surface
» Uses Sensys' unique multi-tracking radar RS240
» Tracks and measures each vehicle more than 20 times per second
» Triggers at an adjustable speed limit and report line
» Scheduled functionality (only enforced during specified hours and days)
» Possible to take one or two images of the offence

The SSS operates from the side of the road, tracking traffic for speed and
distance.
Tracking starts at 150 meters and vehicles exceeding the speed limit trigger
the system at a set report line. A picture is taken of the violating vehicle and
stored with time, date, speed and location embedded in the file and are
follows;

» Speed Tracking
» Vehicle Identification
» Driver Identification
» Lane Discipline
» Line Detection
» Vehicle Classification / Track Classification
» Average speed tracking

Avoid driving fast & braking
near radar points, It will track
you approx. 150 m to 200m
away
 Avoid boosting speed after
the radar points, it will track the
average distance between two
control points ( two nearest
radars)
 [color=red]Please follow the rules while line
changing, Can be tracked
 Don’t use mobile phones while
driving, Can be tracked
 Use seat belts always, Can be
tracked
 Follow the lane discipline for
heavy vehicles, Can be tracked
 Always keep the safe distance,
Can be tracked
 Avoid jumping lanes, crossing

yellows, Can be tracked[/color]

I have heard the new cameras will come into use on the 1st january but have not seen anything official so it's only rumour. The first one installed near interchange 1 was for traffic monitoring accordint the the Gulf News a few months ago but now it's obvious it was on trial. If I could attach a document I would showing how the cameras work.

For other replies stating the old cameras don't flash in the day....They do! These are the radar based cameras with xenon flash and are not so sofisticated that they can tell night from day.

Brett
Runs With Scissors
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 24, 2008
Surely if you was to do a excessive speed of 140km/h for example for half the distance between camera 1 and 2, and then a slow 80km/h for the other half its not theoretically possible for it to catch you
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat