Lawrence Of Arabia

Topic locked
lawrence of arabia Dec 27, 2007
HI EVERYONE. Im new here and to be honest I joined cus I'm desperately seeking some info.
I am doing an essay on Lawrence of Arabia (second year uni) and I need articles or books I can use to get an arab perspective. everything I read says that altho he knew what he was doing he was genuinely pro Arab and seriously believed the British would allow self rule. My husband (Egyptian, journalist and author, longggg time gulf resident) says he did not and and describes him as treacherous. which actually sounds pretty plausible to me but my husbands opinion isnt going to cut it so does any one have anything from this prerspective translated into english. Hubby says he knows of nothing translated into English.
Hope someone out there can help me.
Jazakallahu Khairun.

aussie aisha
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: lawrence of arabia Dec 29, 2007
Well, I'm pretty sure Lawrence wanted independence for the ex-Ottoman arab world, as one big state. Lawrence was NOT a traitor! Lawrence didn't want to be a war hero because the Arabs hadn't been granted liberty. So he lived the rest of his life in silence and died in England.
LA
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

t e lawrence Oct 30, 2008
hi lawrence definately belived in self rule for the arab people.he was an amazing man.its all to easy to talk down now what he achieved,he was really betrayed by the british and arabs alike.thats why he lead a life of quiet retirment changing his name to shaw.herds always ultimately are betrayed history proves this ie joan of ark burnt at the stake.lawrence knew lenard wolley he excavated the historical sites in iraq at ur uruk babylon and kish.he also knew howard carter sharif faisel and abu auda.im very interested in the links between the arab world and britain.i practise the ancient art of falconry a passion shared by both people.you should read the book 7 pillars of wisdom.and theres a website dedicated to lawrence.
kirowan
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 03, 2008
The biographies of Lawrence describe him as "A showman', 'eccentric to the point of madness' and ultimately; 'A true believer in the independence of the Arab nation'.

He was let down severely by the British government as he made promises to King Fahad that the British then did not honour. As a result, the loss of face was enough to destroy his credibility and force him to leave the region.

He died in a motorcycle accident.

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: lawrence of arabia Dec 22, 2008
salam
Abdel-Wahid
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 12, 2009
You can read Edward Said's Articles and his book "Culture and Imperialism"
for the broader understanding of the subject