Plug Scokets

Topic locked
Plug Scokets Oct 29, 2008
Hi All,

As you may have read on some of my previous chats I am moving out to Dubai in Jan 2009. I am currently looking at what furnishings I will be bring with me. I have TV's, Surround Sound Systems, my wife has hair strightners, hairdryer etc...

Can you please advise what the voltage is and what type of plug sockets are mainly used in Dubai? In the UK our voltage is between 230v & 240v and our plugs are 3 pins....

Thanks to anyone who can advise....

Carrots :blob5:

Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 29, 2008
doesnt matter.... the same will work here

except..., we drive on the right....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 29, 2008
Most electrical fittings out here include UK plug. 3 Pins. Square/rectangular pins. 230V
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 29, 2008
Arr you drive on the wrong side of the road.. no worries I can get use to that hahaha lol...... :D

Sharfraz, regarding driving while you mentioned it. What would you suggest I do with regards travelling to the office and general getting around? Would you suggest, buying/renting a car or using taxis?

Back to the plug sockets, are yours 3 pins like the UK?

The one and only Carrot

:wave:
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 29, 2008
Thanks DPS... :D
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 29, 2008
as said right side ., We dont drive on the wrong side of the road.. 8)
and i'm not being cold... :lol: ....

if you're planning for a long term work, then buy a car., get others' advice too..
taxis, i dont think you get one that easily.,
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 29, 2008
Ok thanks for the advice. I will now start looking into buying a car. (something else to add to my long list of "To Do's"..)

I don't suppose you know of a good place I can start e.g. rough costs of buying, if be cash or finace etc?

Thanks Carrots... :happy3:
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 29, 2008
whats that regarding?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 29, 2008
Regarding - Buying a car :D
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 29, 2008
you have to check with the dealers, how to finance it and which is the best way...accordingly the dealer will make a good sales with you...
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 29, 2008
Cars are relatively much cheaper here as compared to the UK. Havig said that in case you have any brand/model in mind, someone could confirm the approximate price.

Most bank will finance you easily. They are between 4.5% to 5% flat interest rate.
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 30, 2008
Carrots wrote:Ok thanks for the advice. I will now start looking into buying a car. (something else to add to my long list of "To Do's"..)

I don't suppose you know of a good place I can start e.g. rough costs of buying, if be cash or finace etc?

You can't buy anything or get a bank account until you get your visa. That will probably take a few weeks, so be prepared to use taxis or rent a car first.

:) :) :)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 30, 2008
Thanks Knight :wave:
Carrots
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 30, 2008
there are plug sockets in cars too.....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 30, 2008
Welcome Carrot, we just moved here and my first day... i found even with a converter, i couldn't use my Chi ( flat iron for hair) so we bought a new one at the Carrefour but we came from the US. SO far I have managed to burn 1 cake ( getting used to the whole Celsius conversions and using this type of stove aka cooker) learn that 16% is added to your tip at nice clubs and restaurants and despite never having a maid and didn't think I would want one, i discovered i definitely need one ! Will you be living in Dubai or out of Dubai. We live in Al Ain and its very nice here. We rent a car until hubby's R Visa comes in and then it's off to the car dealership for us. Going from driving my SUV to this little piece of crap Peugeot is for the birds! Tell your wife to feel free to email me and I can fill her in on somethings she can buy here vs bringing to save you shipping cost wether it be from extra bags when you fly to sending freight. If your company is paying for your moving cost bring it all LOL. PS everyone.. we're looking for furniture, household accessories, and everything in between if you have stuff for sale let me know.
Melanie
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
Carrots wrote:Ok thanks for the advice. I will now start looking into buying a car. (something else to add to my long list of "To Do's"..)

You can't buy anything

Knight

that's weird....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 31, 2008
Melanie wrote:Welcome Carrot, we just moved here and my first day... i found even with a converter, i couldn't use my Chi ( flat iron for hair) so we bought a new one at the Carrefour but we came from the US. SO far I have managed to burn 1 cake ( getting used to the whole Celsius conversions and using this type of stove aka cooker) learn that 16% is added to your tip at nice clubs and restaurants and despite never having a maid and didn't think I would want one, i discovered i definitely need one ! Will you be living in Dubai or out of Dubai. We live in Al Ain and its very nice here. We rent a car until hubby's R Visa comes in and then it's off to the car dealership for us. Going from driving my SUV to this little piece of crap Peugeot is for the birds! Tell your wife to feel free to email me and I can fill her in on somethings she can buy here vs bringing to save you shipping cost wether it be from extra bags when you fly to sending freight. If your company is paying for your moving cost bring it all LOL. PS everyone.. we're looking for furniture, household accessories, and everything in between if you have stuff for sale let me know.

Mel,
All US electrical goods operate on 110V 60Hz...we have 220/240V 50Hz here! If you plug something in, you may burn it out. Check if there is a selector switch on the bottom of anything that allows it to be used with different voltage inputs.
There are small step down transformers available in supermarkets and department stores. They are only 13 Dhs which will save you a heap on new electrical goods!

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 31, 2008
I think thats what hubby was looking for at the carrefour and they were all out.. he knows about the conversion and all but we tried my chi with some other thing he had and didnt work.. i guess the other one he needed was the one carrefour didnt have.. i didnt want to wait so i got the new braun one anyway. So it's Halloween.. time to go out !
Melanie
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 01, 2008
yes,same voltage
enlaine
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat