Is It Legal????????

Topic locked
is it legal???????? Aug 16, 2008
Hi,

I am moving with my husband to the UAE beginning of September and we are not sure if the way we are doing it is legally the right way.

My husband will work for a British company. So far the visas are not processed yet, but we will enter DUBAI beginning of September while the visas are still being processed and my husband will start working in ABU DHABI right away. We plan to live in DUBAI though. While my residence visa will be in process I will look for a job in DUBAI and plan to start working immediately once I found something. Does that work with the laws of the UAE?
We have never been in touch with our PRO yet and don’t know who it is, do you think we could ask the company to talk to him? Or do you know anybody (law firm etc) we could ask for a consultation?

If you know whether the way we are doing it is the right way (it is the way the company suggested it) please let us know.

Thank you.

alexalexa
Dubai Forum User

Aug 17, 2008
The important question is.... on what type of visa are you enterting the UAE. Is this an employment visa or visit visa?

If you are entering on a visit visa, it may be risky to work anywhere. While the truth is that many people in fact do this, you (and the org)always stand the risk in case anyone complains or highlights this.

In the case of your husband, I guess he may be coming in on an employment visa. Legally he cannot work till his work permit is processed, but in realy life this should not be a problem

Please note that I am no legal expert!! :-)
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 17, 2008
The visa laws have all just changed. You canoot change a visit visa to a residence/working visa anymore, they will send you back to the UK to enter on the employment visa.

Now another issue, are you on Abu Dhabi or Dubai visas? BEcause when you come to change your drivers licence over that can be tricky if you want a Dubai licence and you have an Abi Dhabi visa, it is possible, but is a bit of a faff.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 18, 2008
thanks for your answers.

well, we are planning to enter with my husbands work visa and my residence visa in progress (that means at the airport in Dubai we would say we are having a residence and work visa for Abu Dhabi in progress).

in terms of drivers license, what would be the difference of having a dubai drivers license vs an abu dhabi one? could I just get an ad one and drive with it in dubai too?
alexalexa
Dubai Forum User

Aug 18, 2008
Yes you can no problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

but what about the other way around...? Aug 18, 2008
Heard that the laws have been changing and still not clear on what is true and what is not true...
what about if you are on a employment visa, left the job and want to stay after the cancellation period just the time to find another job...? Can the old crossing the border to oman and back thing can still be done or they have changed this one too??
European PPT holder... well Swiss but as close as...!
are there any sites that can clear this questions that u guys know off??
expatdxb
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 18, 2008
Easiest thing to do in that situation is to do a visa transfer from one company to another. No you cannot do the Oman thing anymore.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 18, 2008
good point... just need to find the new company before time runs over...
what happens if u go to Oman then... they dont allow u back in the country?
expatdxb
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum