Who Snowboards???

Topic locked
Who Snowboards??? Mar 14, 2008
Who goes to ski dubai on a regular basis, i've just taken up boarding (used to ski) and loving every second of it. Wanna get to know a few peeps who are experienced who can help me learn some freestyle moves and just hang out etc

DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 14, 2008
Yeah I've just taken up snowboarding at Ski Dubai and have been going for a few weeks now. Kind of taking it easy and don't want to rush it at the moment, but we tend to go boarding every wednesday night.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 15, 2008
How much does it cost?
motojet
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 15, 2008
motojet wrote:How much does it cost?

The lesson costs 200 + 10 (locker) + 10 (refundable deposit)
2 hr slope costs 180 + same as above
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 15, 2008
went again last night, wanted to practice the ollie and manual tricks but had an awful session, felt really unstable the whole time and was having problems even linking turns was not a happy camper. Oh well got a level 2 lesson booked for friday night so hopefully that'll help. Will probably go on Mon afternoon as well
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 15, 2008
i go for it with some friends of mine every tuesday night, so if you wanna join us let me know
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 15, 2008
DDastardly wrote:went again last night, wanted to practice the ollie and manual tricks but had an awful session, felt really unstable the whole time and was having problems even linking turns was not a happy camper. Oh well got a level 2 lesson booked for friday night so hopefully that'll help. Will probably go on Mon afternoon as well

practicing is all it about dude, the more you practice that more you will evenually know how to snowboard. Im a beginner just like you, i took the discovery, beginners and first level lessons only and then started at the top slope. Dont be afraid to fall, if your not falling it means you not enjoying it :D....just to be safe i wear a helmet, slide shorts and knee pads when im there, it helps.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 15, 2008
Yeah me and my mate have done the discovery and begginer level. We went for a level 1 lesson but we'd done one session on our own and the guy said we were past level one already. Happy goin down from the top etc and don't mind fallin that much just really frustrated me last night. Plus i used to ski so have my own stuff and when your in there and just about everyone else is in a jump suit you look like you should know what your doin :lol:
Just gonna stick at it will probably go again on Monday, booked in for a level 2 lesson friday nite. I'm thinking of going to NZ in the summer so just want to get as good as possible by then so if i go i'll enjoy it more, hopefully will complete level 4 by then.
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 15, 2008
sweet, yeah i heard that the slope at NZ is really good, one of my friends recommended it

how long is the snow gonna be there for? i wanna see if i can make it down there in time this year
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 15, 2008
think the season runs from June till the end of August out there something like that. I've looked into it a little and it'd be cheaper to get your own flight to say Perth and book the holiday through an Aus company and fly on from there. What sort of time were you thinking of going?
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 15, 2008
DDastardly wrote:think the season runs from June till the end of August out there something like that. I've looked into it a little and it'd be cheaper to get your own flight to say Perth and book the holiday through an Aus company and fly on from there. What sort of time were you thinking of going?

i just needed to know what are my options, i dont think i can do it this year but who knows

thanks for the info bro
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Here for break Mar 17, 2008
Hey fellas. I"m here on a ten day break. I just picked up snowboarding in Germany and Austria. Can you rent the equipment there (incl all the clothes?) or do you have to come with your own??
Elementdxb
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 17, 2008
You can rent the boards as well as the warm clothing in Ski Dubai..... :D
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 24, 2008
So how does dubai snow compare to real snow?

I would not really have thought about bringing my board over if I got a gig in Dubai...

I have done a fare bit of boarding in Aus, but it is pretty average snow conditions here.
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Re: Who Snowboards??? Mar 24, 2008
DDastardly wrote:help me learn some freestyle moves and just hang out etc

Wear a helmet :D
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 24, 2008
i went to ski dubai today (relatives form england wanted to go) and I tried snow boarding, much harder then i thought and i was very suprised when it was NOTHING like skateboarding like I was told.

I found it difficult and my legs hurt like hell, so I probably wont go again
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2008
see therein lies the problem with getting into snowsports, people have one go think its too hard and sack it. Trust me mate on my 4th time going i could go down from the top and just been for the 10th time and i cn pop an ollie of the lower rollers
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 28, 2008
The first time I went snowboarding, my mates said it was easy, and we took the chairlift straight to the top of the mountain :shock:

It went like this...Slide a bit...fall on bum, slide a bit, fall on bum...slide a bit, fall on bum...

This continued untill the base of the mountain. I had a very sore backside, hated it, and went straight to the pub.

The next day I had a lesson, and all was good :D

Once you learn the technique, you will never forget it. Sometimes I might have 2 years before I go boarding again. By the second run it is all good again :D
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 29, 2008
see alot of people doing that at ski dubai, anything that requires technique you need to have a lesson. As blue said once you got the basics progression is quick as long as you keep it up and once competent its something you don't forget like riding a bike.
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2008
gonna be there tomorrow afternoon i think, hopefully will be purchasing my own board in the am so will be all excited lol
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2008
DD..dId you find any shop for the snowboards, can you give us some info about the shop for future reference for our newbies in the forum....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 06, 2008
The shop i went to was Farkom sports located upstairs in the crown plaza (where zinc is). There were about 15 boards to choose from all burton and about 7 womens boards. The bindings selection was pretty limited although they did have some more in the back, boots were pretty limited as well. A good selection for clothing and accessories belts etc, i found the staff friendly and keen to help however not that knowledgable although i think the guy to speak to was just leaving for lunch as i walked in, he gave me a quick 5 mins before he left. I was lucky as there was a guy who works at ski dubai in there shoppping as well so i bent his ear for some advice on a board. They were happy to fit the bindings for me in the store and was told that if i had any problems at all with my purchases to come back and all would be sorted.

Prices of boards varied from about 2000-3000AED+ bindings from about 400-1300AED ish. I didn't buy boots as after the board/bindings and a bag i've decided to wait until next month for those.
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 07, 2008
Thanks for the info DD, now we're now sure of a sport store to get the snowboards... :D
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat