Teacher Moving To Dubai In August

Topic locked
Teacher Moving to Dubai In August Feb 25, 2008
HOUSING OPTIONS?
We just accepted a teahing position in Dubai. The school will pay for our housing (plus 1/2 utilities), or we can choose to receive 110,000 AED, but we will be responsible for all utilities. Is 110,000 AED a good amount to find something reasonable? Bear in mind, we are currently living in Sub- Saharan Africa and we were living in not so cheap Chicago before that :)

Also the School we will be teaching at is the Universal American School in Festival City. I actually do not know where exactly the teachers housing is located, so I guess it maybe difficult to compare the two options,... maybe not?

AUTO QUESTION
We also know someone who is leaving Dubai (over 10 years in Dubai).... she is prepared to sell us her 2000 Rav4 (3 door) for about 6,000 USD. Is this a good price? BTW, she is also interested in selling her household furniture, so if we choose the money over the housing provided by the school, we will probably buy her stuff rather cheaply. I am not sure if this will make a difference in any advice for the first question.

Thank you

Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 25, 2008
I thought someone else just asked about UAS?

110k gets you a good 1 bedroom apt. Might get you a poor 2 bedroom. Utilities not too much unless you live in villa or huge apartment. Where is school provided accommodation?

UAS in Festival City near Business Bay bridge. Live in Festival City if you want to avoid traffic jams to work, or Jumeirah/Barsha might avoid traffic jams but longer trip. Mirdiff closer but don't know if morning traffic from there a problem.

2000 Rav4 for 22k sounds ok. Toyotas usually reliable. Only 3 doors would irritate me though.

Here's more info...

Dubai living costs
Unversal American School
Buying cars in Dubai
Areas in Dubai
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 25, 2008
would 170k get you decent 3 bed apartment around Dubai Marina such as JBR?
keepitreal
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum