Moving To Dubai

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai Feb 20, 2008
I am considering a job offer to work for Emirates. My grade would be an "EK9". Can anyone help me with what sort of accomodation that would attract with wife and two children under 10? I am led to believe that my office location would be Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai so where would be a residential area close by be?
Thanks[/list][/list]

thomochan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Moving to Dubai Feb 20, 2008
thomochan wrote:I am considering a job offer to work for Emirates. My grade would be an "EK9". Can anyone help me with what sort of accomodation that would attract with wife and two children under 10? I am led to believe that my office location would be Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai so where would be a residential area close by be?
Thanks[/list][/list]

What is EK 9?
SZR is a long road. Which end are you at.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Feb 20, 2008
EK9 is Emirates grade of employee rank, goes from low 1 to high 12.
Building is Emirates Holidays building if that helps?
thomochan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 20, 2008
If you are Emirates employee, accomodation would have been sorted out? no?

You can always try the villas in umm sequim or jumeirah road. if you want to be close to the airport, perhaps you can try mirdiff?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Feb 20, 2008
I think the emirates holidays building is between Business Bay and the Metropolitan Hotel.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 20, 2008
Emirates provide and pay for the accom, I just dont want to spend a few hours traveling to and fro. I have some bargaining power and want to make sure that I am close (within 30 mins) travel to work.
thomochan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 20, 2008
Emirates Holiday building is close to interchange one from memory. Usually Emirates sort out the accommodation for their staff and I believe they have heasp fo staff accommodation near that.

Good luck
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 20, 2008
I believe they provide shuttle bus as well.
Thought they also have employee quarters in Silicon Oasis?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Feb 20, 2008
Next Question,would 119,460 UAE get a decent villa / apartment pa with utilities?
thomochan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 20, 2008
No way Hozay. Will get a 1 bedder for that price, or a really old run down two bedder - within the distance you are looking for. search www.dubizzle.com for yourself
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 20, 2008
thomochan wrote:Building is Emirates Holidays building if that helps?

There's an EK apt building near there, Millenium tower?

SZ Road a car park outside EK hol building in evenings going sharjah direction.

Good areas for you would be Al Wasl, Jumeirah, Umm Suqueim

maybe Barsha, The Greens, Emirates Hills.

Here's a summary of areas in Dubai
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 20, 2008
For that allowance, you could chip in yourself and get a 2 bed villa in Arabian Ranches. Not a bad commute to that office (against traffic). Have to ask what your time is worth I guess. Don't believe what you read. The rents are VERY negotiable...I think people are relying on ignorance to pay their mortgage. I got my place over 2 cheques, 30,000 below "market value", and a month free to boot. It got to the point where I had to tell agents to stop calling and even call-blocked a couple. I took a drive around and saw that there were hundreds of places to rent and made my offer. After all was said and done, I STILL had people calling dropping the rent by 5,000-15,000 more. I have to say, I am pleased with my arrangement and have a good landlord. If I have to piss away my money on outrageous rent, I am glad it is to a guy as nice as him.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks very much for your advice/help. I have no doubt I will be back with a few more questions prior to accepting offers.

Cheers
thomochan
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum