Paying Mortgage In Europe

Topic locked
Paying Mortgage in Europe Feb 18, 2008
Hallo everyone,

we are in the decision phase wether moving to Dubai or not.
Can anyone tell me how much a UAE Bank charges for a monthly transaction of around 10000 to 13000AED to my german Bank account.
We want to keep our House here and it needs to be paid.
Any advice is highly appreciated

thx in advance

Bitze
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 18, 2008
Allow 20-40 euros for Swift (?) transfer (maybe less depending on which bank)
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 19, 2008
+ variances in currency, which is a lot since we're linked to the stupid US dollar
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tax implications? Feb 19, 2008
Not that I am currently out in Dubai, but I gather that the double taxation treaty between the UAE and Germany is up for renewal soon (and that it probably won't be renewed).

You may wish to check with a tax expert - which I am not - that there are not any German Income tax implications with maintaining a residence (and paying the mortgage for it) in Germany whilst you are based in Dubai. You may find that you are hit with a tax bill for your global income and this could be significant in your decision to emigrate to Dubai perhaps?

Just my 2 Pfg worth.

Jim
wjms
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 19, 2008
Thanks a lot for your replys so far!
I will check the tax issue but I am rather sure as long as I stay out of germany for more than 183 nights which is assured I don' t have to pay taxes here.
Bitze
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Tax implications? Feb 20, 2008
wjms wrote:but I gather that the double taxation treaty between the UAE and Germany is up for renewal soon (and that it probably won't be renewed).

As there's no income tax in Dubai, double taxation treaties have little relevance to most expats anyway. It's the tax laws of the country you're from that are important to check, and what your status is for tax purposes. Here's more about UAE tax :).

You may wish to check with a tax expert

Always a good idea (I'm not either by the way)

Bitze wrote:but I am rather sure as long as I stay out of germany for more than 183 nights which is assured I don' t have to pay taxes here.

I don't know Germany specifically but be careful with that one. Usually the rule is something like "If you are in the country more than 183 days in a year, you will be tax resident". There's a subtle difference between that and the common interpretation of "If you are out of the country for more than 183 days, you don't have to pay any tax". Much of the time the interpretation works, but occasionally people get caught out.
bonk

Sending Funds back to the UK Feb 22, 2008
Can I send funds back to the UK when working in Dubai or would I be hit for tax then?
suncoast
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Sending Funds back to the UK Feb 24, 2008
suncoast wrote:Can I send funds back to the UK when working in Dubai or would I be hit for tax then?

Generally yes, and no.
bonk

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum