Driving License Question

Topic locked
Driving License Question Jan 02, 2008
Hi All,

My wife an I will be coming to Dubai in a couple of weeks for about a year and have a question we are hoping someone can answer about driving licenses.

I will have a British licence and she will have an American one - is there a period when we can legally drive on those until we get them converted into Dubai ones or on the first day we want to drive will we need to have a UAE license?

And secondly - how do we go about getting the UAE one if we have our British and American ones? Is it a fairly easy process?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Stevebo
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 02, 2008
Drive on your licence while you have a visit visa if you rent a car. Try and get an International Driving Permit before you get here but it probably isn't a big deal if you don't.

Driving someone else's car on visit visa - get a temporary licence from Police/RTA first and double check insurance.

Buying a car and driving it on visit visa probably not possible - need residence visa to register it.

Change licence after you get residence visa, should be straightforward if your passport from same country as licence.

More here... Dubai driving licences
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 12, 2008
Something to bear in mind when applying for a Dubai drivers licence.

If you have an entry stamp from anther Emerate they will not process and issue a drivers licence. This happened with me as I had an Abu
Dhabi entance stamp.
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2008
Does your wife have an American passport as well as American Driving Licence? If the passpport is not issued in the same country as the passport, they often make you take a test. If your passport and driving licence are issued from the same country either UK or USA, you can obtain a temporary UAE licence until your visa is issued.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 15, 2008
Dont fred. Use your exisiting licences. Once you have your residence visas, you can directly convert to UAE licences. US and UK are exempted from test/exams.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 25, 2008
The Major wrote:Does your wife have an American passport as well as American Driving Licence? If the passpport is not issued in the same country as the passport, they often make you take a test. If your passport and driving licence are issued from the same country either UK or USA, you can obtain a temporary UAE licence until your visa is issued.

I have a US driving license but my passport is from India. I'm pretty sure I cannot convert my driving license, but question is, do I need to take the classes, or can I just take the driving test to convert the license? Thanks!
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2008
you need to take classes, it was 20 classes last time i checked. they keep changing it, might be more now.
good luck
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 26, 2008
Thanks cheap_deal, I also heard that the need to take classes depend upon individual ability to convince the RTA for taking tests directly. Lets see how true that is when I land up in Dubai!
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum