Medical Care Costs

Topic locked
Medical care costs Nov 29, 2005
Hi;

I m 26, moving early 2006 to dubai (satwa), rather easy going.. look forward to meet interesting people from everywhere and have fun, discuss around a shisha, enjoy dubai lifestyle, go out... anybody interested???

* On the other hand, i would need some of your advice about health care costs. What does cost a visit to dentist, to doctor, medicine prices? The system is quite different from belgium and all these costs would be on for me i suppose! so, i would like to have an idea!
Well i am fit for now but as we say in french: "better prevent than heal"!

* Does anybody know or is affiliated to the OSSOM. Need some advice about it too?

* Last one... Is there swiming pool of reasonnable size for swimmer in Dubai and in Satwa neighbourhood?

Thanks for advice to a dubai rookie! Look forward to hear from you
Have nice day

Nicola

dimatteo.n
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 30, 2005
The piece of advice is would give you is make darn sure you have private health insurance, you get charged for everything!

You're supposed to get a health card here but I've never seen mine.

Doctors apps are normally around 200Dhs, dentish consultations about the same.

You pay for everything! So best have insurance and just claim it back. And get a package which includes global and repatriation if every needed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 30, 2005
hey choc...
so the private medical insurance the employer gets you , i guess covers general consultation...can you elaborate a bit about the private/individual insurance...any companies you can recommend...and how about the premiums...any ideas on the sums and figures?
cheers
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 01, 2005
Chocoholic is right- our general practioner charges DH 230 and dentists are around about the same of course any treatments enhance your bill further. Medication on the other hand is easy to get with or without prescription and is less expensive than home for us. Company or coorporate private health generally includes the medication too if you have a script. Try Goodhealth and Bupa for more details on premiums.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 01, 2005
By the way you are a short drive from Dubai Country Club-I think membership isn't too bad there but they have a website so you could inquire. If you live in Satwa you are 5minutes from Jumeira Beach by car and about 30min from Jebel Ali. If you are looking more at exercise, gym equipment is really reasonably priced here.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 01, 2005
GAB wrote:If you live in Satwa you are 5minutes from Jumeira Beach by car and about 30min from Jebel Ali.

Of course those times quoted are without traffic.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 01, 2005
Depends how/what/when you drive?
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 01, 2005
Precisely.

Weekends during the morning/afternoon if I drive from Satwa back home (Marina) it takes around 30 mins with BS traffic here and there. Only takes me 10 mins when I drive back home every night around 11pm.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Medical care costs Dec 01, 2005
dimatteo.n wrote:Hi;

I m 26, moving early 2006 to dubai (satwa), rather easy going.. look forward to meet interesting people from everywhere and have fun, discuss around a shisha, enjoy dubai lifestyle, go out... anybody interested???

* On the other hand, i would need some of your advice about health care costs. What does cost a visit to dentist, to doctor, medicine prices? The system is quite different from belgium and all these costs would be on for me i suppose! so, i would like to have an idea!
Well i am fit for now but as we say in french: "better prevent than heal"!

* Does anybody know or is affiliated to the OSSOM. Need some advice about it too?

* Last one... Is there swiming pool of reasonnable size for swimmer in Dubai and in Satwa neighbourhood?

Thanks for advice to a dubai rookie! Look forward to hear from you
Have nice day

Nicola

I dont understand why do they dump all the expats in Satwa.. Is it a scheme by the gov to improve the image of satwa ? or is it the employers way of saving monnie
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 01, 2005
Sniper, there's really very few 'real' expats in Satwa.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 01, 2005
What is a "real" expat??
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

thanks Dec 01, 2005
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all infos you r giving... it dissipate a bit the cloud...!

Well i was wondering about the sentence of Sniper: "I dont understand why do they dump all the expats in Satwa.. Is it a scheme by the gov to improve the image of satwa ?".... is it that poor and miserable area there? Can anybody comment pls...

Well i stayd in bur dubai (all rolla road) for two month early 2005 it was ok. I enjoyed the fact that i did not need the car to get somewhere after work. i rarely used it. was few step from shops, creek, restaurants, bars (not very good one!!! but...). What about satwa? Unfortunately i have not yet any idea of where exactly the flat is located.

Great to be on this forum.
Maybe i ll see you in dubai....if anybody interested let me know. I want to see everything this city can offer.

Nicola
dimatteo.n
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 01, 2005
GAB wrote:What is a "real" expat??

Technically everyone other than nationals are 'expats' here, as company needs to sponsor candidate, and housing and transport allowance must be provided.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Medical care costs Dec 01, 2005
sniper420 wrote:
I dont understand why do they dump all the expats in Satwa.. Is it a scheme by the gov to improve the image of satwa ? or is it the employers way of saving monnie

Satwa has more locals than anything else...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 01, 2005
:lol: I know what a an expat is I just thought a real one was something else..... I am just surprised, tho' that in this place where UAE nationals are out numbered by expats that there is a place that there are more locals than anywhere else.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 03, 2005
Hey Constantine,

My answer to your question is: What medical insurance provided by my company? There isn't any so I have to do it myself! Crap I know but what to do!!! That's what happens when you work for the government!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 05, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:Hey Constantine,

My answer to your question is: What medical insurance provided by my company? There isn't any so I have to do it myself! Crap I know but what to do!!! That's what happens when you work for the government!

thanks choc...was wondering how much the monthly/yearly premiums cost?...i am sure working for the govt has some advantages/perks...heard from a friend, when she was working for gov.(media)...getting in and out of airports was a breeze!!...
constantine

Dec 05, 2005
I have medical insurance with Goodhealth and I pay in installments, it's costs about 430Dhs amonth for the plan I have. They're very good and settle claims quickly, plus the cover is worldwide, so I don't have to worry about separate health insurance when I travel.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 05, 2005
hey thanks...will check that out...getting closer to D-Day...man i am like a washing machine inside!!!!!!
constantine

Oct 08, 2009
teeth care should not be a way to saving our money. Dental clinic offer high prices and what’s the worst is that people cannot afford them at all. Many people chose a cheaper way and they travel to foreign countires like Poland or hungary when taking a holiday break. One of these clinics is dental poland which offers a really affordable care.Anmd they charge much less and you can go on holidays and at the same time get your teeth done for less than the UK.
ClinicGirl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai