Inshallah!!!! It That YES Or NO Or Something Else???

Topic locked
Inshallah!!!! It that YES or NO or something else??? Dec 17, 2007
I come across this word quite often "Inshallah - means God Willing" whenever I try to get some reply :roll: although its nice reply but dont know till date if that means YES or NO or something else :D

ekbechara
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Inshallah!!!! It that YES or NO or something else??? Dec 17, 2007
ekbechara wrote:I come across this word quite often "Inshallah - means God Willing" whenever I try to get some reply :roll: although its nice reply but dont know till date if that means YES or NO or something else :D

Hrmmm... we there could be a massive amount of analysis into the meaning of the word and depending on who utters it.

A lot of the time I think it means 'yeah it'll happen when I feel like getting around to doing it'.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 17, 2007
it actually means "i will do it, unless God feels otherwise"

when we say that, we should be ready to do whatever it is, but due to unforeseeable circumstances, if we are not able to do it, then we wont do it.....

but nowadays it is used when we talk abt doing anything in the future tense. even if we really mean to do it or not.... so like ian said, it depends on who utters it....
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2007
SparHawk wrote:it actually means "i will do it, unless God feels otherwise"

when we say that, we should be ready to do whatever it is, but due to unforeseeable circumstances, if we are not able to do it, then we wont do it.....

but nowadays it is used when we talk abt doing anything in the future tense. even if we really mean to do it or not.... so like ian said, it depends on who utters it....

But in all cases if it is not done then it must have been God's "will" that it not be done!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
Concord wrote:
SparHawk wrote:it actually means "i will do it, unless God feels otherwise"

But in all cases if it is not done then it must have been God's "will" that it not be done!

And of course... don't freak out about it not being done, because it was God's will that it wasn't done... so don't get upset man, otherwise your lack of respect for God's will might offend me.
^ian^

Dec 17, 2007
to be honest, alot of people misuse this word to tell people that it may or may not happen. I had an argument once with a customer ( it wasnt my day that day) coz i said "Inshallah" in my conversation. She didnt like the word and told me " Dont use this f***ing word again!!!", im sorry but customer or no customer, there is no need to be offensive towards that word.

its true that there are bastards who misuse that word to their advantage but its not what the word means, it means "by the permission of allah, it shall be done". In Islam, we believe that everything is done by the permission of god so thats why it is used.

im not starting a religious topic here, just explaining what the word means....
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
Nowadays they use it for different meaning...that is
Inshallah = maybe or getting rid of someones asked favor....

*No offense as I'm a Muslim too.
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 17, 2007
so it means maybe?
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 17, 2007
gezza wrote:so it means maybe?

It can mean "you have no chance" it just depends on the person delivering it.

It's like someone saying 'sure' and not really meaning it. How sure their sure is, is dependent on them.
^ian^

Dec 17, 2007
When someone says "Inshallah" to me I respond: "Inshallah you'll be healthy to do it"...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
Inshallah is used and abused here, it's terrible and the worst one is 'Buccora (?) Inshallah' - tomorrow god willing. I always say the word is not in my vocabulary give me either a 'Nam' or 'La' - Yes or no, but no Inshallah.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 17, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:I always say the word is not in my vocabulary give me either a 'Nam' or 'La' - Yes or no, but no Inshallah.

Is that because you're tough?
^ian^

Dec 17, 2007
Yes! I wanna hear a yes or no, not a maybe if I'n feeling like it. Don't giv me any damn excuses matey - blah!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 17, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Yes! I wanna hear a yes or no, not a maybe if I'n feeling like it. Don't giv me any damn excuses matey - blah!

.. and then... if they don't... you princess slap them right?
^ian^

Dec 17, 2007
You know, I agree with Choco, give a straight up answer yes or no, not maybe, or if God is willing.

No offence meant as I respect different religions, but this word has been abused too many times by people who use the word because the task is too hard.
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 17, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:You know, I agree with Choco, give a straight up answer yes or no, not maybe, or if God is willing.

No offence meant as I respect different religions, but this word has been abused too many times by people who use the word because the task is too hard.

Amen brother.

I swear to God you're right.
^ian^

Dec 17, 2007
It's the equivalent of the French Gallic shrug:

(with shoulders raised and palms held upwards) "Monsieur, ah agree zat ze situation eez sheet, 'oweveur...eet ees your sheet, not mine!"

If you hear the expression "Inshallah Bukra Malish!" Just walk away!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 17, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Yes! I wanna hear a yes or no, not a maybe if I'n feeling like it. Don't giv me any damn excuses matey - blah!

.. and then... if they don't... you princess slap them right?

YEESSS YEEEESS i was waiting for that....haha

you have been just granted 20 points from me dude

no offence choco but the way he pulled into that one was awesome
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
Cause and effect...

The cause of this "sheet" is also possibly the person in front of you. Without the cause, there is no "sheet".
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 17, 2007
Where I hail from we are not that religious so we say "it'll get done when it gets done" followed by "gotta problem with that?"... and if they don't like it then we say "fck you" followed by "gotta problem with that?"...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
Concord wrote:Where I hail from we are not that religious so we say "it'll get done when it gets done" followed by "gotta problem with that?"... and if they don't like it then we say "fck you" followed by "gotta problem with that?"...

The stage after that involves Messrs. Smith and Wesson?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 17, 2007
Oh mate, I'd love to know where you hail from and move there, sounds like my kind of place :lol:

Alas, I work in customer service and do not have the luxury of such language. :roll:
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 17, 2007
Dubai Knight wrote:
Concord wrote:Where I hail from we are not that religious so we say "it'll get done when it gets done" followed by "gotta problem with that?"... and if they don't like it then we say "fck you" followed by "gotta problem with that?"...

The stage after that involves Messrs. Smith and Wesson?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

Not necessary since usually they "aint got a problem with it"! But if they do it was the big dude's will.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:Oh mate, I'd love to know where you hail from and move there, sounds like my kind of place :lol:

Alas, I work in customer service and do not have the luxury of such language. :roll:

Move to Bronx (as i've heard n seen in the movies) or just try Kidannalkudungum kundu village back near my home town in India !
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 17, 2007
When I was living in Malaysia, I thought zee word means "Thank God" .... :shock:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Inshallah!!!! It that YES or NO or something else??? Dec 17, 2007
ekbechara wrote:I come across this word quite often "Inshallah - means God Willing" whenever I try to get some reply :roll: although its nice reply but dont know till date if that means YES or NO or something else :D

It means If God is willing, and It is used to support or confirm Yes OR NO

Yes Insallah I will get an A in Calculus

No Insallah I will not Fail the test
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Inshallah!!!! It that YES or NO or something else??? Dec 21, 2007
uaebadoo wrote:

You mean its nice to say that in good spirit and intensions :D but seldom people misuse it for their own sake or for ambiguity :)
ekbechara
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 21, 2007
It's just used and abused here to the point of being ridiculous. God has nothing to do with it, you either do something because you can or are able, an if youcan't then it's your own damn fault.

And never mind a princess slap, and almighty b*tch slap would follow which 'Inshallah' would knock some sense into you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Inshallah!!!! It that YES or NO or something else??? Dec 30, 2007
ekbechara wrote:
uaebadoo wrote:

You mean its nice to say that in good spirit and intensions :D but seldom people misuse it for their own sake or for ambiguity :)

You are absolutely right :D
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat