Feedback On Door Polices

Topic locked
Feedback on door polices Nov 22, 2005
Hey All,

Haven't been around for ages I know, but I'd like your input please.

I'm doing some research into door policies for clubs and bars in Dubai and would like to know what you think of them at various venues and your personal experiences at the door.

Please be as constructive as you can.

Thanks for your help :D

Akasha
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2005
Couples rule makes sense some what, but doesn't stop (drunk) idiots picking fights.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 22, 2005
my experiance when i was in dubai was its a very "attitude gets you in" policy...i agree couples makes sense...but the real spenders are the guys who are trying to get in , to party/have a grt time/hook up...agreed its such a broad spectrum to judge anything by...but from my exsperience in clubbing (extensive)...the door bi@ch or bouncer should use a bit more friendier appraoch, rather than "oh ferrari/grt gf/keeps a bottle running at the bar" = entry...look at zouk (singapore)...its where people go for the "music" alone...then there's velvet (snob nose sista of zouk)...where the real "in ppl go...don't discriminate/charge an entry fee/ if there is a special night ...sure make judgements...but there are some of us who love the DJs/spin docs...just my two cents worth...you can always make
out a trouble maker from a high spender...imagine not being able to get in for sasha /digweed/seb fontaine/fat boy slim...just coz some bouncer thinks you aint with a girl...i'd me maaad :twisted: ...never happened to me though :D
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

bouncers beat up girl in kuala lumpur Nov 23, 2005
on the flip side never hire "thick" bouncers...this blogspot was real disturbing...happened to a girl in kuala lumpur- malaysia...

Recently I read something bad that happend.
a girl was beat up in kl by bouncers in kl

girlofmay.blogspot.com
constantine

Nov 23, 2005
I think blokes get a really raw deal on the door here. And many of the bouncers are way too picky, if they don't like the look of you, then you've had it and it doesn't matter how loaded you are.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 23, 2005
I was told the main aims of it were to keep out the wrong crowd (labourers etc) but under the cloud of reducing the potential for violence - drunks.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 23, 2005
introduce memberships...charge entry fees..create loyalty...of course girls night , doesnt make sense to have too many salivating single guys getting the run of things...as that runs the danger of only "too eager guys" and not a girl in sight...and get a DOOR manager to screen the entries...bouncers sometimes are all brawn...and can forgo the possibilites of a good ratio of guys vs girls...
constantine

Nov 23, 2005
Never had a problem so far. Always go to pubs and bars with my partner, I guess. But going to a bar as a couple is not necessarily an assurance that you can get in. Unfortunately, I think if you are an Asian, it is more likely that you will get problems or difficulty getting in. Just to share some of the stories....

A Thai lady married to a Brit was denied entry to a hotel bar in Jumeira. It was only when the husband intervened that they were allowed to go in.

A group of Asian girls out for a ladies night (one of the hotels in Sheikh Zayed). Was told that the bar is full and asked to step aside. But when European ladies arrived later, they were allowed to go in.

Mixed group (ladies and gents; europeans & asians) on a night out in one of the bars. Was stopped at the reception and told them that their Indian companion is not allowed to go in. One of them explained that the Indian person he is referring to earns more money that they (europeans) do.. but still denied entry. The group decided to move to another bar.

Is it image they (establishments) are protecting or discrimination? .... you decide.
PePPerCLIP
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 23, 2005
pepperclip...i agree with you on that 110%....its more discrimination than anything else!!
constantine

Nov 23, 2005
Maite, I'm south east asian and never been denied access to a bar yet.

Only one that I noticed was iffy on entry was Zinc but I go there with my Emirates air crew pals and we are welcomed with :)s
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 23, 2005
i would say its a game of luck and chance...i am indian...dont look indian at all(last time i was in dubai...everyone spoke to me in arabic..or thought i was spanish)...so yes...sadly speaking...no problems for me...but my mate from india came down to hong kong recently...works in MTV...is very well traveled...coolness personified...was told couldnt get into a club because they have a limit to the number of indians allowed...frigging preposterous... :evil:...and hey you were with airline crew :wink:
constantine

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat