ABS--must?

Topic locked
ABS--must? Nov 06, 2007
Hi,
Is ABS a must for cars driving in Dubai?

Thanks

trafficlinq
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 06, 2007
No its not, you can get cars without abs and still register and drive in the UAE.
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 06, 2007
sorry, i think my question isnt clear. i actualy want to know whether ABS is that useful on dubai roads.

thanks
trafficlinq
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 06, 2007
I would choose to get ABS in a car in any country.

Do you need ABS more in Dubai than other places? because of no rain and snow, maybe not. But I would always like to stop a few meters earlier in an emergency while not locking the wheels and sliding around.
getanapple
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 06, 2007
very useful when you want to brake hard and dodge the moron who cut you off or just decided to stop for no reason on emirates road or SZR.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 07, 2007
I used to drive a jeep with no ABS for 3 years, the ABS can save you from rolling over when you brake really hard.

I think because we have lots of sudden stops on the main roads, the ABS would be very beneficial. But its not a must, you can live and survive without it. Maybe wish you had an ABS once or twice a year..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 27, 2007
trafficlinq wrote:i actualy want to know whether ABS is that useful on dubai roads.

Strange question. When is ABS not useful on normal roads?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 28, 2007
bonk wrote:
trafficlinq wrote:i actualy want to know whether ABS is that useful on dubai roads.

Strange question. When is ABS not useful on normal roads?

hehe
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 20, 2008
getanapple wrote:I would choose to get ABS in a car in any country.

Do you need ABS more in Dubai than other places? because of no rain and snow, maybe not. But I would always like to stop a few meters earlier in an emergency while not locking the wheels and sliding around.

Contrary to popular belief, ABS stops your car in a LONGER distance, not shorter. However, the advantage it has over non-ABS-equipped cars is that it allows you to steer the car (somewhat) while braking hard.

That said, most people would instinctively hit the brakes hard and hold the steering wheel without steering when faced in a panic situation, so ABS means nothing if one doesn't know how to use it correctly.
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 20, 2008
ghoonk wrote:That said, most people would instinctively hit the brakes hard

Which would lock up the wheels if no ABS. Coefficient of static friction is greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is why for the average driver, ABS means you stop in a shorter distance.
bonk

Jan 20, 2008
which is wrong Yanni!
this is may be the truth for old Ladies but not for an experienced drivers.

The only thing is if you can not handle regular brakes properly (w/o ABS) you are not able to steer (due to locking up the wheels), BUT even with ABS and the ability of steering while hitting the brakes hard, 99% are unable to steer in a dangerous situation because they only face into whats happen next. *BANG*

I used to race cars and will never get comfy with this ABS thing....
Race ABS must be totally different but got never the chance to test it in the wet.

Regular Cars with ABS (i guess there are no more cars in production w/o ABS) can even be dangerous at low speeds..... 50 km/h or less just because you can even lock up the wheels easyly and noone is expecting it..... especially on rough roads, dirty and wet (happens from time to time in some parts of the world) conditions.

try it and you will be suprised how easy it is....
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 20, 2008
M! wrote:this is may be the truth for old Ladies but not for an experienced drivers.

And Dubai is full of experienced drivers, right? :)
bonk

Jan 20, 2008
OK this point is for you :!:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 21, 2008
I would say yes because if I had abs, I wouldn't have gotten ina car accident a week ago
:x
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 21, 2008
99.99% of the accidents happen because of the malfunction behind the steering wheel and inappropriate speed... think abt it and dont blame the technology :!:

the missing 0.01% just dont happen :lol:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto