Is It True That Banking Fee On An Account Is 40AED/Month?

Topic locked
Is it true that banking fee on an account is 40AED/Month? Nov 16, 2005
I've heard that all banks in UAE charge 40AED/month on any kind of bank account we have with them.Is it true?I think it's very strange.What If we just open an account and dont' deposit any money,or withdraw the money from ATM right away?how will they charge us?

s_kates81
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 16, 2005
No, not all charge the same account keeping fees. The amount of the fee and whether you have to actually pay it depends on which account you choose and whether your company has corporate banking arangements.

Some banks have a grace period after opening the account where by if you do not deposit/transact then the account becomes inactive and you have to go through the hassles (and fees) of re-establishing/activating the account.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 16, 2005
yes, it depends on the type of account you have....if its your payroll account then there is no minimum balance and no fee....but if you go for a normal savings account then they generally give you two options...either go for a minimum balance account in which there is no fee...minimum balance is 5k Dhs....and if you go for no minimumbalance then they charge you 40 DHs per month.....
Diffrent banks might have diff schemes...but these i know abt NBD and mashreq by personal experience
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2005
Thanks.But how will they charge us 40 AED if there's no money in our account?Or will they charge it as soon as any transaction occurs?Do we get any interest of what we deposit?
minimum balance 5k means just for the time we open the account?or we always have to keep 5k in our account?we can't withdraw them?
s_kates81
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 17, 2005
i m not sure abt the action if money is not there in your account...and yep that 5k shud always be there in your account its not one time...you have to maintain this minimum amount in your account...and if the amount goes below that....they charge you on this....this has'nt happened with me so cant say for sure...but this is wht generally banks do
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2005
If you opened your account without a deposit and do not deposit within a certain period after opening the account becomes inactive - basically closed. If you deposit and use up the $$$ in your account and it comes time to debit the fee then the fee will still be debited and your account will be in a debit balance as oppose to credit balance - this practice does not differ with anywhere else in the world so unless you've never had a bank account this should not be new information.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 17, 2005
in Thailand it's not practiced.There's no minimum amount with no montly fee.Tht's why I am surprised to know about the banking system in UAE
s_kates81
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 17, 2005
Jing jing ror?

Actually with local Thai banks this is true but if you try other banks such as Citibank and HK bank you will find such account structures exists - just not popular nor competitive.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 18, 2005
XRW-147 wrote:Jing jing ror?

Actually with local Thai banks this is true but if you try other banks such as Citibank and HK bank you will find such account structures exists - just not popular nor competitive.

ic.thanks.do u know thai language?
s_kates81
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 18, 2005
in ME bank, you should have a min. balance of 5000/- or if u dont choose that option and want a nil balance account, then u should pay 15AED as service charge per month.
if you have a credit card, then u dont have to comply with the above two - u can maintain a zero balance account.
Mayflower
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 18, 2005
s_kates81 wrote:ic.thanks.do u know thai language?

No probs, I'm Thai/Australian.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 20, 2005
Each bank has its own terms...
For example, with HSBC, if you opt for the STATUS account (im thinking of going for that option), your salary must be 7,500+ per month, and you pay a fixed 70dhs/month to maintain the account
Other options are available..For example if you maintain 5,000Dhs in your account, you wont pay any monthly fees..
Check these websites
www.hsbc.ae
www.citibank.ae
sleepless.in.dubai
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2005
is it true that if i have an hsbc account in uae, I can transfer (wire) my funds to or from other HSBC branch around the world?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 21, 2005
If you meant 'wire' as in T/T thats available with any other bank out there. If you're asking whether your HSBC accounts would be linked globally its not applicable to all countries.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat