Fasting? Who's Doing It.

Topic locked
Sep 09, 2007
Tropic23 wrote:I don`t fast....I thought about it one sec, but then I realized that I would die without food and water the whole day.

By the way.....you will become fat at this time.

The whole day no food......and at night food party....Hello big bu**

:roll:

gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 10, 2007
well you dont have to "Give it" at night
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
It's actually a well-known fact [amongst the dieticians and occupational health peeps] that in general people partaking of the ramadan fasting tend to put ON weight. It's all about metabolism [I think Choco explained it better than me].

Again. I love the idea that a religious festival can be used as a reminder to pureify and cleanse. Such a good strengthener for character.

However, just go a sit near Maccy D's or any of the other cr@p fast food joints and watch the orders fly in [and get scoffed just around teh corner "out-of-sight" :roll: :D ]

If yer gonna do it - DO IT !

[and yup, b4 I get flammed, I will be fasting in ramadan and I also give up booze during Jan too !]
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 10, 2007
yeah i do the fasting thing year round not just during ramadan.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2007
There is ofcourse a lot of research done on the benefits of fasting, and with the internet, this information is easily available for all.

Fasting not only has tremendous physical, mental benefits but ofcourse spiritual as well :)

I just thought that i would post a few things that i found, whilst surfing. I apologize about the length of this post, however, even these various articles don't completely do justice about all the benefits of fasting.

From religious ground, fasting is not only islamic practice. Its also a essential tradition of Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish and Christian belief.

A beautiful quote on fasting by a Saint, "Let us love fasting exceedingly, for fasting cures diseases, casts out demons, drives away evil thoughts, renders the mind brighter, the heart pure, the body sanctified, and presents man to the throne of God."
-- St. Athanasios the Great

Fasting is prescribed in almost all religions. The Jews and Christians also fast. Jewish law order a yearly fast on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. Many Orthodox Jews require the bride and groom to fast on the day before their wedding. Many Christians fast during Lent, the period of 40 days that Jesus (as) spent fasting in the wilderness.

The Buddhists and Hindus also fast. Some religious thinkers, such as Zoroastrian religious leaders are against fasting from food, claiming that abstaining from food has no moral value, when compared with "fasting from evil" with eyes, hands, tongue, or feet. In some religions, people fast during times of mourning. Sometimes, personal or political goals are sought through fasting. M.K. Gandhi of India used fasting both as a penance and as a means of political protest

"Fasting is, without any doubt, the most effective biological method of treatment... it is the 'operation without surgery'... it is a cure involving exudation, reattunement, redirection, loosening up and purified relaxation. While fasting, the patient improves her or his physical health and gains much. But he or she will have neglected the most important thing if the hunger for spiritual nourishment that manifests itself during fasting is not satisfied." said Otto Buchinger, Sr., M.D., Germany's great, self-described "fasting therapist," who founded the most famous of several renowned, European Buchinger Kliniks in 1952.

Prolonged, scientific fasting has proven itself, over several thousand years, as humanity's oldest, fastest and most effective weight-loss, detoxification, healing and longevity-enhancing modality known to mankind - both curative, as well as preventive.

Likewise, despite all 3 Fathers of Western Medicine having fasted and having prescribed fasting (Hippocrates, Galen and Paracelsus, who declared fasting "the greatest remedy, the physician within"), the fact remains that symptoms-oriented trained U.S. physicians are also equally in the dark.

http://www.healingdaily.com/juicing-for ... asting.htm

Dr. Elson M. Haas, M.D., offers some very beneficial information about fasting, addressing preventive and integrated medicines, natural nutrition therapies and detoxification (fasting).

http://members.tripod.com/worldupdates/ ... /id131.htm

Fasting and your Biological Rythms is a beautiful article by Doctor E. Kazim where he describes how fasting release special types of tranquilizing natural chemicals that not only tranquil our mind but also elate the mind. Also how fasting positively affects our sleep is discussed from scientific research

http://members.tripod.com/worldupdates/ ... /id136.htm

Miracle of Fasting is a very religion independent investigation on the benefits of Fasting. It talsk about how fasting is necessary for the internal purification, how fasting conserves vital force and how it cleanses toxins out.

http://www.bragg.com/books/mof_excerpt.html

Healthier Living through Fasting is an article by Ibrahim B. Syed, Ph.D. who is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at University of Louisville School of Medicine. The article focuses on how Science Favors Fasting interms of longevity, effect on weight, lipid metabolism etc

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_1 ... asting.htm

Fasting enhances mental acuity
Not only internal digestive organs and others, fasting also enhances the mental faculty.

Perhaps the most instructive testimony as to the acuteness of mental powers during fasting comes from Dr. Herbert Shelton who supervised the fasting of more than 40,000 people over a period of fifty years. His message is that the freer the body is of toxic materials flowing through the blood and lymphatic system, the clearer is the ability to think. continue reading

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

Yoga magazine has an article by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that talks about not only spiritual but also physical development relating to fasting. Along with other issues it talks about fasting and its relation with Somo-psychic or psychosomatic, balancing of the hormones and concentration of mind.

http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1981/5m ... thea.shtml

A Healthy Fast Is as Good as a Fresh Start
The article published in Buddhist Channel gives an outline how fasting can be seen as a healing treatment that purifies our bodies. Fasting restores the body’s innate self-healing ability that we have forgotten- mentions the article. “Hunger is perhaps the most intense discomfort people can feel. Our bodies recognize fasting as an emergency state. Autonomic nerves that were hibernating become alive, and react very sensitively and violently. They begin to throw away all the unnecessary things, leaving only the minimum needed for survival. In this process, all the waste and toxins are being eliminated,” say Prof. Shin Hyun-dae at Kyung Hee Medical Center

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 24,0,0,1,0

[/url]
the.eternal.truth
Dubai Forum User

Sep 10, 2007
whatever he said above is subject to interpretation and you make up own mind to see true

http://www.makeupyouronstuffandthenpost.com
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2007
g00se wrote:It's actually a well-known fact [amongst the dieticians and occupational health peeps] that in general people partaking of the ramadan fasting tend to put ON weight. It's all about metabolism [I think Choco explained it better than me].

Again. I love the idea that a religious festival can be used as a reminder to pureify and cleanse. Such a good strengthener for character.

However, just go a sit near Maccy D's or any of the other cr@p fast food joints and watch the orders fly in [and get scoffed just around teh corner "out-of-sight" :roll: :D ]

If yer gonna do it - DO IT !

[and yup, b4 I get flammed, I will be fasting in ramadan and I also give up booze during Jan too !]

I assume you're not Muslim? Because boozing is not allowed whatever the month. But why fast anyway though? You can eat a big breakfast, "hide" and drink water, and eat lunch as soon as you get home, if you're worried about offending colleagues.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Fasting? Who's doing it. Sep 10, 2007
Concord wrote:Ok who's fasting for Ramadan?

In solidarity I did it last Ramadan but only for 2 weeks as I went to the land of the infidels for the last 2 weeks. I plan on doing it again - but will only be in Dubai for the last 2 weeks.

It should not matter where you are, its not an excuse for not fasting, isit?

p.s. I know many muslims who do not fast (and they are still ok). Sorry, what do you mean they are still ok? Sorry for sounding rude, but just interested in what you mean.
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 10, 2007
MAC wrote:I eat fast.

:D :lol: :D :lol:
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 13, 2007
lol muslims dont fast and its ok lol WHO said its OK. if u r a muslim U should FAST.

i dont wanna sound like an extremist or something but if u r not a muslim you can still fast. Fast and see how it feels like to have no or little amount of food in your tummy. Think about those kids in africa who dont eat that much. So i m gonna be fasting because am a musi and i ll be fasting for one of those lil kids who dont get that much to eat ALL year long. And ill be grateful to god for giving me the money to feed myself in the morning, afternoon and in the evening. so thats y i m fasting. so if u r not a muslim and see how it feels to be in the shoes of one of those lil kids i suggest u fast. try fasting for 3 hours, then 4 hours and so on.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 13, 2007
fasting is good if done in a proper and smart way. meaning religion or not, the way you fast should be adjusted to what ur body needs. some ppl "fast" every day of their life, simply because they are used to eating once per day. others cannot do that. i dont understand in depth the reasons because i was not raised to experience them, but being without water all day and doing hard work for ex, cant imagine how would that purify anybody or make them think of the spiritual aspect of their life.

another thing, this is a muslim country with muslim government. but half of the ppl living here, or maybe even more are not muslims. so while fully respecting local laws, religion, traditions, etc., shouldnt there be some sign of good will and consideration towards those who have a different kind of life? i mean, rule or not rule, i would not eat and feel good about doing it in front of smbody who is fasting purely out of respect. but when everything is closed, plus from most places u cant even order then its like forcing everybody to not only respect but obey.

anyways, ramadan kareem to those who celebrate the month :)
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 13, 2007
I don't think half the people here are non-Muslims. Maybe in the social circles you hang in.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 15, 2007
I'm fasting between meals
Al Jon
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 16, 2007
And no s-e-x during Ramadan, I was told .
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Sep 16, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:And no s-e-x during Ramadan, I was told .

Only when your fasting. After sunset you can..... :wink:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 16, 2007
rudeboy wrote:lol muslims dont fast and its ok lol WHO said its OK. if u r a muslim U should FAST.

i dont wanna sound like an extremist or something but if u r not a muslim you can still fast. Fast and see how it feels like to have no or little amount of food in your tummy. Think about those kids in africa who dont eat that much. So i m gonna be fasting because am a musi and i ll be fasting for one of those lil kids who dont get that much to eat ALL year long. And ill be grateful to god for giving me the money to feed myself in the morning, afternoon and in the evening. so thats y i m fasting. so if u r not a muslim and see how it feels to be in the shoes of one of those lil kids i suggest u fast. try fasting for 3 hours, then 4 hours and so on.

Yeah, so you stop eating for a few hours, you gorge yourself like a pig (no pun intended) at sundown and in the morning, then you pat yourself on the back by claiming you're doing it for the "lil african kids" (because we all know that hungry children can only be found in Africa).

So unless you're going for a month eating nothing but a half cup of rice a day, don't come in here with your pious holier-than-thou attitude and tell people who don't share your beliefs how inconsiderate they are for not postponing their lunch till 6:30 PM.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2007
As with anything to do with this subject, your connection with God is yours and yours alone.

Do not criticise other people's connection and how they address it.

Peace out.

Mellow D.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 16, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
rudeboy wrote:lol muslims dont fast and its ok lol WHO said its OK. if u r a muslim U should FAST.

Yeah, so you stop eating for a few hours, you gorge yourself like a pig (no pun intended) at sundown and in the morning, then you pat yourself on the back by claiming you're doing it for the "lil african kids" (because we all know that hungry children can only be found in Africa).

So unless you're going for a month eating nothing but a half cup of rice a day, don't come in here with your pious holier-than-thou attitude and tell people who don't share your beliefs how inconsiderate they are for not postponing their lunch till 6:30 PM.

It's 1 of the 5 pillars of Islam, that's why we do it.

It brings us closer to God, it helps condition your mind to avoid temptation and remember where you stand in the bigger picture of life.

Before anybody says you should always do this not just for 1 month you are right ......Like they say the first step is the hardest and ramadan is a good way for most people to start and continue.
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 16, 2007
Exactly, since it is your own connection with god, it helps to avoid bragging about how righteous you are to strangers on the internet. You want to fast? that's great, but don't go around putting down people who don't.

The post I replied to earlier was suggesting that non-muslims should also fast in order to attain the same level of piousness as people who do. If you read between the lines, you notice that he is subtly implying that non-muslims have no consideration for the "little african kids" because they don't know what it's like not to have access to food.
My bull shit detector went off, so I chipped in to slam him in the face with the sledge hammer of fallacy.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2007
I haven't read all your posts in this thread yet.

But I think it would be nice if they 'fast' with their bad mannerisms especially driving, and not just fast by abstaining from eating and drinking for hours in a day. I haven't come online for so long due to bad road accident. Thank God, I am still alive.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2007
I am a muslim but CANNOT Fast anymore :-(
I do miss fasting tho... i did enjoy the inner satisfaction I got when I could fast.

Ramdan Kareem everyone
netgeek2k2

Sep 19, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Goo for the soul, bad for the body I'm afraid.

gives your stomach a break sometime which is good

Fasting technically commences within the first twelve to twenty-four hours of the fast.

A fast does not chemically begin until the carbohydrate stores in the body begin to be used as an energy source.

Due to the lack of incoming energy, the body is breaking down the fat stores in the body in order to produce energy.

A second benefit of fasting is the healing process that begins in the body due to the diversion of the body energy.

In addition, there is a reduction in core body temperature, following a drop in blood sugar.

Finally, the most scientifically proven advantage to fasting is the feeling of transformation and extended life expectancy.

In conclusion, it seems that there are many reasons to consider fasting as a benefit to one's health.
Modi777
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 19, 2007
SCY wrote:I haven't read all your posts in this thread yet.

But I think it would be nice if they 'fast' with their bad mannerisms especially driving, and not just fast by abstaining from eating and drinking for hours in a day. I haven't come online for so long due to bad road accident. Thank God, I am still alive.

oh god yeah, in ramadan, driving has been dangerous and stuff.....no offence and i fast too, I hate customers who fast...they get anger quickly :evil:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 20, 2007
Modi777 wrote:Fasting technically commences within the first twelve to twenty-four hours of the fast.

A fast does not chemically begin until the carbohydrate stores in the body begin to be used as an energy source.

What are you talking about? Carbs are the primary source of energy for the body, by your logic I've been fasting all my life.

Modi777 wrote:Due to the lack of incoming energy, the body is breaking down the fat stores in the body in order to produce energy.

Wrong, the body breaks down protein before fat and uses that as energy. Additionally your body goes into starvation mode and starts storing lipids for survival. You lose weight because muscle density is greater than fat.

Modi777 wrote:A second benefit of fasting is the healing process that begins in the body due to the diversion of the body energy.

"Diversion of the body energy"? How about I divert my foot to your face?

Modi777 wrote:In addition, there is a reduction in core body temperature, following a drop in blood sugar.

Yep, hypoglycemia sure is healthy.

Modi777 wrote:Finally, the most scientifically proven advantage to fasting is the feeling of transformation and extended life expectancy.

If by transforming you mean turning people into incessant whining cats who can't seem to stfu about their diet, I agree 100%.

Modi777 wrote:In conclusion, it seems that there are many reasons to consider fasting as a benefit to one's health.

In conclusion, what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent writing were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 24, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Exactly, since it is your own connection with god, it helps to avoid bragging about how righteous you are to strangers on the internet. You want to fast? that's great, but don't go around putting down people who don't.

The post I replied to earlier was suggesting that non-muslims should also fast in order to attain the same level of piousness as people who do. If you read between the lines, you notice that he is subtly implying that non-muslims have no consideration for the "little african kids" because they don't know what it's like not to have access to food.
My bull tasty detector went off, so I chipped in to slam him in the face with the sledge hammer of fallacy.

LOL mate i m scared dont hit me with ur purse alrite.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 24, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Exactly, since it is your own connection with god, it helps to avoid bragging about how righteous you are to strangers on the internet. You want to fast? that's great, but don't go around putting down people who don't.

My bull tasty detector went off, so I chipped in to slam him in the face with the sledge hammer of fallacy.

LOL mate i m scared dont hit me with ur purse alrite.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 24, 2007
rudeboy wrote:LOL mate i m scared dont hit me with ur purse alrite.

OMG u rite 2 much like Prince 4 me!
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 24, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
rudeboy wrote:LOL mate i m scared dont hit me with ur purse alrite.

OMG u rite 2 much like Prince 4 me!

errr alrite keep your pants on i aint ur prince go find someone off the road to be ur prince :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2007
rudeboy wrote:errr alrite keep your pants on i aint ur prince go find someone off the road to be ur prince :D

Don't you hate people who write or say "errr" or "uuuh" before they speak?
You don't need to mimic a sound while your five good neurons crank out the next malformed sentence from your cretaceous skull, numb nuts.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 28, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
rudeboy wrote:errr alrite keep your pants on i aint ur prince go find someone off the road to be ur prince :D

Don't you hate people who write or say "errr" or "uuuh" before they speak?
You don't need to mimic a sound while your five good neurons crank out the next malformed sentence from your cretaceous skull, numb nuts.

hmmm anything else you want to add on to that, EINSteIN????
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai