Transporting Vinyl To Dubai

Topic locked
Transporting Vinyl To Dubai Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

My girlfriend (soon to be wife, I hasten to add) is weighing up offers from various companies in Dubai, and we hope to be there by December. We're both very excited at the prospect.

I have a largish collection of vinyl records, 600 or so, and growing all the time, as I'm a DJ (it's a hobby, but has paid for itself at times in the past) and music lover. There are also a few hundred CD's and DVD's. I can't bear the thought of leaving them all behind, and I want to know what the options are for having them shipped over. We're planning on dropping most of our worldly possessions before we come, and to buy new when we get out there, so in effect, we're looking at around 8-9 crates of music and film, and the clothes on our backs. I'm also thinking about bringing my decks with me, in case I can't get them easily in Dubai (Technics 1210 if you know about these things).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help.

WellRedd
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 12, 2007
I don't know much about those stuffs, though I don't think you can find them easily in Dubai.
However I saw a second hand shop for turntables and AV receivers in Al Attar Shopping Mall (Karama) and a shop selling vinyls just 30m next to my apartment (opposite Burjuman, behind Avenue store). Just in case you'd like to find out once you're in Dubai.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2007
What are you saying, there's loads of DJ's here in the UAE, who do you think supplies their equipment? All DJ equipment is easily available here, loads of music stores, although I don't know anyone that works off vinyl here, they're all cd and laptop dj's.

With cd's and dvd's and the like, customs might very well take it off you to check for any immoral material, leave any dodgy stuff behind.

When you actually get called to go pick it up when it arrives here, send your girlfriend to pick it all up. Customs officers are more unlikely to bother lookin at it all if a woman turns up - certainly that was the case with me. They opened and checked everyone elses stuff, but not mine an I brought a tonne of cd's, dvd's and videos over.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 12, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:although I don't know anyone that works off vinyl here,

Exactly that's what I mean.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2007
No-one works off vinyl? That sucks pretty badly. Having said that, I also use a laptop, but I much prefer my vinyl.
That's a good point about getting my girlfriend to pick them up though, to save the hassles.
Thanks!
WellRedd
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum