The Dubai Stone

Topic locked
The Dubai Stone Aug 27, 2007
Hi,

I'm a writer for Good Living magazine, I'm currently working on a feature about the so called Dubai stone, where it's common for expats to put on weight on arrival in Dubai because of the eating out culture and lazyness because of the heat.

Anyone that has experienced this and has had trouble fighting off the weight Dubai seems to pile onto people, please let me know. I'd be interested in having a public opinion for the article.

Thanks,
Rachel

rachel28484
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 27, 2007
Hi Rachel.

Dubai Stone? I think you mean the Dubai Ton!

It's kind of strange. Everyone is familiar with the phonemena you're writing about, and you can definitely see a lot of expat fatties in Dubai.

But on the other hand, there seems to be a very large segment of people who seriously 'take care of themselves' - men and women, of all nationalities, who go to fitness first, or the local gym...

I mean, as a general rule, we think of Dubai as being the place of the beautiful people right? And one look at your average shopping mall would seem to confirm this.

So, is there actually a weight gain problem after all? I don't know...

great lot of help I've been...

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Aug 27, 2007
i dont think so, ive read in the papers today that its mostly uae nationals suffering from obesity especially the kids coz they live a sedentary lifestyle.

for us expats, i highly doubt that. like burton said most join their local gyms or watch their weight by proper diet. for me i exercise at home since i cant look at myself if im fat :shock:
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2007
xero_ wrote:i dont think so, ive read in the papers today that its mostly uae nationals suffering from obesity especially the kids coz they live a sedentary lifestyle.

for us expats, i highly doubt that. like burton said most join their local gyms or watch their weight by proper diet. for me i exercise at home since i cant look at myself if im fat :shock:

Yep, the obesity syndrome amongst locals is a big issue. The thing is, you can see it starting so early - I mean, in the children. Kids as young as five or six who are absolutely enormous!

Having said that, and this is going to be another example of backtracking, there are loads of young UAE national guys who are extremely health conscious, playing their football and again, the no.1 favorite - going to the gym.

Dubai just seems to be a city of extremes...
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Aug 27, 2007
eating out is certainly far, far too easy here. i am staring at a once trim stomach that now has a noticable paunch.

of course, if your older, like 30+ its alot easier to put on weight and alot harder to lose it.

im 24 and luckily i can still win this battle...
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 27, 2007
Well its not easy to not eat out on a daily basis as we have long working hours, cant find any solutions for that, im lucky though as i dont gain weight for some reason !!
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat