Holiday Worry!

Topic locked
Jun 16, 2007

States;

Living Together

The word "partner" can be a problem for you. You can't live together here, it is married or nothing. We'll in reality the system sponsors spouses, but not "partners" as it is illegal. Your partner can come here on a visit visa, but he/she must get a job to get a residence visa. To be on your sponsorship he/she can't be unless you are married. You would be amazed at how many people have got married just before coming here after living together for years.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 17, 2007
Rant removed
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 18, 2007
khalas already!
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 18, 2007
MAC wrote:khalas already!

Yes. Good point.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 18, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sweetpea06 wrote:we did call our hotel to ask the 'theoretical' question of whether it would be a problem or not and they insisted it wouldnt so just taking their word for it....

Brilliant idea. Normally I'd warn against this... but much more reliable advice than old farts living out their life on a forum.

that's not only the best, but the most accurate post i've seen on this forum
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 18, 2007
jcraiggibson wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sweetpea06 wrote:we did call our hotel to ask the 'theoretical' question of whether it would be a problem or not and they insisted it wouldnt so just taking their word for it....

Brilliant idea. Normally I'd warn against this... but much more reliable advice than old farts living out their life on a forum.

And you have been in Dubai how long?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 19, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
jcraiggibson wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

And you have been in Dubai how long?

well, obviously not as long as you my friend :wink:
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 20, 2007
As someone previously posted, we're not talking about couples 'living together', we're talking about a couple being on holiday.

They won't do anything, as the tourist industry is too valuable - end of.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 20, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:As someone previously posted, we're not talking about couples 'living together', we're talking about a couple being on holiday.

Yup, and only a complete R-Tard would think otherwise.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 21, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:As someone previously posted, we're not talking about couples 'living together', we're talking about a couple being on holiday.

You make such statements because you only believe what you want to believe, people do come to this country and get into trouble with the Authorities, get put in Prison and deported for all and more of what you think you know. Lets hope you never fall on the wrong side of the law whilst doing what you advise others to do in this forum.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 22, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

You make such statements because you only believe what you want to believe, people do come to this country and get into trouble with the Authorities, get put in Prison and deported for all and more of what you think you know. Lets hope you never fall on the wrong side of the law whilst doing what you advise others to do in this forum.

Listen man... I would be royally pissed if some know-it-all wannabe messed up my holiday plans by saying 'don't come to dubai as a tourist couple unmarried' when the REALITY is there is no problem with it.

NONE, ZIP, ZERO.

So don't go screwing up other peoples holidays because you're a miserable sod who is always quoting the 'law'.
^ian^

Jun 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Listen man... I would be royally pissed if some know-it-all wannabe messed up my holiday plans by saying 'don't come to dubai as a tourist couple unmarried' when the REALITY is there is no problem with it.

NONE, ZIP, ZERO.

So don't go screwing up other peoples holidays because you're a miserable sod who is always quoting the 'law'.

Nobody said don't come, I just advised the legal situation, the rest is up to them, and you nor anyone else can say that this is not the law here in the UAE because it is.

So Ian, on the other hand I don't suppose you would be
royally pissed
if you were advised to do something and then got into trouble when you did it.

Because you have an opinion, nobody else is allowed to have one and when they do, the insults have to rain, sad really.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 22, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Because you have an opinion, nobody else is allowed to have one and when they do, the insults have to rain, sad really.

Stop whining.

My issue is disinformation.

Can you categorically state it is illegal and APPLIED in Dubai with 100% confidence?
^ian^

Jun 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Because you have an opinion, nobody else is allowed to have one and when they do, the insults have to rain, sad really.

Stop whining.

My issue is disinformation.

Can you categorically state it is illegal and APPLIED in Dubai with 100% confidence?

Yes I can categorically state with 100% confidence that it is illegal and as said before so many times it can be applied in Dubai when their is a problem. The whole issue is that people should know that it is the law and then it is simply up to them whether they decide to break it or not.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 24, 2007
Just to add my 10 pence worth...

My first trip to Dubai in 2005 with my (now wife) was to the very same Jumeirah Rotana. No problems there, just make sure your 'wife' dresses conservatively if you fancy a walk outside at night, as the surrounding area of Satwa is mainly of staring male workers (nothing to worry about, but the staring may be a little disconcerting at first).

Passport control.
I have had many unamarried couple visitors through the past 2 years of living in Dubai - as previous posters have stated, holidaymakers are not targeted for being unmarried, and only if you committed another crime would the matter become an issue (and as non resident, non muslims, the matter would still be a very minor one).
My wife still retains her original passport with her maiden name. Every time we reenter Dubai, I have her come through E Gate with me, and not once have we been asked if we are married, nor any other personal questions, bearing in mind, we are both residents with resident visa stamps in our passport.

The key to Dubai is tolerance, which is why so many people of differing backgrounds and agendas can enjoy the place.
If you keep yourself to yourself, and not set out to insult or offend anyone, Dubai will generally be good to you (apart from your landlord who WILL get as much money out of you as possible).
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007
just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, have been and come back from holidays and had no problems at all and had a lovely time although its too hot for me! hope to visit again in the future
sweetpea06
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 14, 2007
admog wrote:Just to add my 10 pence worth...

My first trip to Dubai in 2005 with my (now wife) was to the very same Jumeirah Rotana. No problems there, just make sure your 'wife' dresses conservatively if you fancy a walk outside at night, as the surrounding area of Satwa is mainly of staring male workers (nothing to worry about, but the staring may be a little disconcerting at first).

Passport control.
I have had many unamarried couple visitors through the past 2 years of living in Dubai - as previous posters have stated, holidaymakers are not targeted for being unmarried, and only if you committed another crime would the matter become an issue (and as non resident, non muslims, the matter would still be a very minor one).
My wife still retains her original passport with her maiden name. Every time we reenter Dubai, I have her come through E Gate with me, and not once have we been asked if we are married, nor any other personal questions, bearing in mind, we are both residents with resident visa stamps in our passport.

The key to Dubai is tolerance, which is why so many people of differing backgrounds and agendas can enjoy the place.
If you keep yourself to yourself, and not set out to insult or offend anyone, Dubai will generally be good to you (apart from your landlord who WILL get as much money out of you as possible).

Good post.. admog..Props
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum