China Hopes To Reopen Business In Tiger Parts.

Topic locked
China hopes to reopen business in Tiger parts. Sep 27, 2005
To me this is totally ridiculous! When are these people going to realise that once these beautiful and amazing creatures are gone, that's it! Why does man insist on destroying the wonders of nature for his own pathetic reasons.

7 Days today.

A re-opening of Chinese business in tiger parts could doom the species to extinction and undermine efforts to curb other illegal wildlife trade, the Worldwide Fund for Nature warned yesterday.

Tiger organs, teeth, bones and penises fetch high prices on the black market, where they are used in traditional Chinese medicines to treat ailments like rheumatism. In other parts of Asia, the bones are considered an aphrodisiac.

China banned domestic trade in all tigers and tiger parts in 1993, but is considering re-opening the business based on farm-bred, captive animals.

But that would send a signal that it is acceptable to buy tiger parts which would threaten wild tiger populations, experts in the wildlife trade said.

"We're afraid that poachers living near the world's last populations of tigers may kill them to supply illegal markets that are likely to develop alongside any new legal ones," Susan Lieberman, head of WWF's Global Species Programme, said.

"This could be the final act that drives the tiger towards extinction." International trade in all tigers and tiger products is banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

But the global illegal wildlife trade is worth about $8 billion a year, according to the US-based Wildlife Conservation Society, and illegal sales of pelts of tigers and other rare big cats have been surging in Tibetan regions of western China.

"In the past few years there has been a revitalisation of wearing traditional clothing, partly due to officials wearing such things are events and being broadcast in the media," Samuel Lee, a Hong Kong-based official with wildlife trade monitoring group TRAFFIC, told Reuters.

Tiger skins sold for anything between $2,500 and $25,000, Lee said.

The WWF said it was not clear how soon a re-opening of the tiger trade in China might happen, but speculated officials were being pressure by business interests.

"One would guess there is a lobby from tiger farms for profits," said Joanna Benn, of the WWF's Species Programme. The world's tigers are at a record low, numbering at an estimated 5,000-7,000, down from more than 100,000 in the 19th century.

Chinese state media said last year that native South China tigers, among the rarest of the world's five remaining tiger subspecies, were on the verge of extinction in the wild with less than 30 alive.

The Siberian tiger, native to northern China, southern Russia and parts of North Korea, is also on the brink, with only a few hundred believed to be living outside captivity.

Earlier this month, state media reported a restaurant in northeast China had been shut by police after claiming to serve dishes made with tiger meat taken from animals in the nearby Hengdaohezi Siberian tiger park, China's largest centre for breeding the animals.

After he was arrested by police, the restaurant owner confessed the alleged tiger flesh was actually donkey meat spiked with tiger urine.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 27, 2005
i guess after tigers are finished off they will be after fellow humans...human DCiks will be in great demand as like tigers D's.

Wish humans were to be tigers for one day and the tigers would have poached for humans... only way to dig this into their small brains...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
samindubai
Dubai Forum User

Sep 28, 2005
Over history, the little yellow chaps have got an awful lot to answer for. In general the human race is pretty shite at looking after the planet we have been given, but the scary thing is that the biggest population on the planet cares the least. And despite the "one kid only or you're shot on sight" policy, they're still fcuking growing. As a personal protest I'm boycotting rice. If I only save a couple of dozen tigers on my own, it will be worth it. I can eat noodles though, right?

Seriously though - barbaric fcukwits. shoot every single one of them if I had 1.4 billion bullets and time on my hands. Don't even get me started on bear bile. WTF?
Mr. Logic
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 28, 2005
Yeah that industry is horrific too and thre Japanese with whaling, for heavens sake leave the animals alone. I also detest the fur industry. Anyone who thinks it's cool to wear dead animals on their back is just sick!

Fur has a face!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 28, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah that industry is horrific too and thre Japanese with whaling, for heavens sake leave the animals alone. I also detest the fur industry. Anyone who thinks it's cool to wear dead animals on their back is just sick!

Fur has a face!!!

Hmm yeah they should pass legislation that all fur coats must come with the faces still attached....lets see who'd be willing to wear them then!

BTW Any vegetarians out there? :) I'm vegetarian, purely by choice, couldn't bear the thought of eating somethin that once was so full of life
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 02, 2005
Nik wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah that industry is horrific too and thre Japanese with whaling, for heavens sake leave the animals alone. I also detest the fur industry. Anyone who thinks it's cool to wear dead animals on their back is just sick!

Fur has a face!!!

Hmm yeah they should pass legislation that all fur coats must come with the faces still attached....lets see who'd be willing to wear them then!

BTW Any vegetarians out there? :) I'm vegetarian, purely by choice, couldn't bear the thought of eating somethin that once was so full of life

So "full of life" is the criteria for your food. Ok, here's your menu

Chicken - not full of life. Eat them.
Fish - very dull. Eat them all.
Sheep - seriously tedious. Eat them.
Labradors. Very full of life. Avoid.
Ducks. Full of life but also very tasty. Flip a coin.
Rabbits. Not full of life , not very meaty. Why bother.
Pigs. Fairly lively but a bit porky and therefore expensive. Eat only if rich.
Cows. Very very dull and oh, so tasty, especially the filet at JW Marriott.
Prawns and stuff. Dull. Eat hundreds of them.
Irish Setters, Chihuahuas and Yorkshire terriers. Very full of life but in an irritating way. Smother in sauce so you think it's fish and eat anyway.
Vegetables and fruit. Mostly very lively, bright colours and juicy, full of life. Avoid at all costs.
Mr. Logic
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 03, 2005
How wonderfully literal of you! Your carefully thought out list of criteria has opened my eyes to the truth, and made me pick up that last buffalo wing...NOT! :) So grateful for your interpretation of my phrasing and your life-o-meter, how did I get by without it before, everyone should have a Mr. Logic looking out for them! Who needs Yoda!

[quote="Mr. Logic]
So "full of life" is the criteria for your food. Ok, here's your menu

[b]Chicken[/b] - not full of life. Eat them.
[b]Fish[/b] - very dull. Eat them all.
[b]Sheep[/b] - seriously tedious. Eat them.
[b]Labradors[/b]. Very full of life. Avoid.
[b]Ducks[/b]. Full of life but also [b]very[/b] tasty. Flip a coin.
[b]Rabbits[/b]. Not full of life , not very meaty. Why bother.
[b]Pigs[/b]. Fairly lively but a bit porky and therefore expensive. Eat only if rich.
[b]Cows[/b]. Very very dull and oh, so tasty, especially the filet at JW Marriott.
[b]Prawns and stuff[/b]. Dull. Eat hundreds of them.
[b]Irish Setters, Chihuahuas and Yorkshire terriers.[/b] Very full of life but in an irritating way. Smother in sauce so you think it's fish and eat anyway.
[b]Vegetables and fruit[/b]. Mostly very lively, bright colours and juicy, full of life. Avoid at all costs.[/quote]
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat