What Is With All The Self Help Books?

Topic locked
what is with all the self help books? Apr 14, 2007
was in Ibn Battuta mall today and was looking around for something to read.

What suprised me was the amount of junk self help books on the shelves that are marked as best sellers. 1 million,2, million, 10 million sold each.

hey if they all "helped" that many "selves" then most everyone who reads english is fixed in the head, healthy and happy.

maybe I was spurred in this track from a story in gulfnews this weekend, maybe it helped this self realize a lot of the books on the shelf are only their to make money and not help people.

have a look at the article "Helping yourself with a book" http://www.gulfnews.com/business/money/10118072.html

getanapple
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 14, 2007
Being one of the few people that these books actually help I know what you mean.

Although I can fathom what is being said and meant in them. I can see how easily most people could not, but regardless everyone has to make money somehow and if that is by writing a book which helps people, then it's a lot better than most of the nasty business out there.

Take a look around other places and see what I mean.
Purple Complex
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: what is with all the self help books? Apr 14, 2007
getanapple wrote:was in Ibn Battuta mall today and was looking around for something to read.

What suprised me was the amount of junk self help books on the shelves that are marked as best sellers. 1 million,2, million, 10 million sold each.

hey if they all "helped" that many "selves" then most everyone who reads english is fixed in the head, healthy and happy.

maybe I was spurred in this track from a story in gulfnews this weekend, maybe it helped this self realize a lot of the books on the shelf are only their to make money and not help people.

have a look at the article "Helping yourself with a book" http://www.gulfnews.com/business/money/10118072.html

What planet are you on dude? Of course they're to make money. That's why they're sold and not given out free lol.

Well... in all seriousness though... you are right in a sense. the books promoted would be the ones with the most money behind them. Prestige over actual quality. If you really want to find a goods book, you'll probably have to search around on the net for reviews, personal recommendation and the like.

Either way... we're all going to have different tastes anyway.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
I have many selfhelp books.

But it is my secret. Nobody knows that.....

Oh, well..... :oops: oops.....damn....

No secret anymore...
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 15, 2007
I have one too! by Anthony Robbins just haven't had a chance to read it
RaideN
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 15, 2007
Tropic23 wrote:I have many selfhelp books.

But it is my secret. Nobody knows that.....

Oh, well..... :oops: oops.....damn....

No secret anymore...

>_<

... lol.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
It's not that funny Kage, oh wait...

I don't have any self help books either!

I have no secrets.
Purple Complex
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat