Want Ur Help !

Topic locked
Want ur help ! Mar 27, 2007
Hey people,
Long time since I posted on DF. Well I have this problem and I hope that you can help me solve it. Dr. D. you opinions are really appreciated !!
OK, so I have these 2 job offers. Job Offer 1 is from a bing international company payin Amount X and everything seems to be ok. Job offer 2 is from a friend. I know him for over than 18 years, we went to university together, he is developing his dad's company, and bus. seems to be good but he wants somenoe with my qualifications to help him do that. He already knows about the other offer that I got so he said that he will match it. I always had the principle of trying not to work with friends because that might cause more problems specially if u know that he is ur boss. On the other hand, if ur boss is someone who really knows ur potentials and respects that then it is a good thing. I don't know but a lot of people warned me before from working under friends. I am lost and I feel that I need to hear some opinions. What do u think ? What would u do if u were in my shoes ?

Waiting for replies.

Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Re: Want ur help ! Mar 27, 2007
Palkid7 wrote:Hey people,
Long time since I posted on DF. Well I have this problem and I hope that you can help me solve it. Dr. D. you opinions are really appreciated !!
OK, so I have these 2 job offers. Job Offer 1 is from a bing international company payin Amount X and everything seems to be ok. Job offer 2 is from a friend. I know him for over than 18 years, we went to university together, he is developing his dad's company, and bus. seems to be good but he wants somenoe with my qualifications to help him do that. He already knows about the other offer that I got so he said that he will match it. I always had the principle of trying not to work with friends because that might cause more problems specially if u know that he is ur boss. On the other hand, if ur boss is someone who really knows ur potentials and respects that then it is a good thing. I don't know but a lot of people warned me before from working under friends. I am lost and I feel that I need to hear some opinions. What do u think ? What would u do if u were in my shoes ?

Waiting for replies.

Never work with or hire friends or family if it can be avoided.

Ask yourself this... if you don't take his offer, will he still be your friend? (of course he should be)

If you do take this offer, and becomes your manager/boss will it change the friendship? (of course it will)

I would respectfully decline on the grounds that you don't want to damage the friendship you have with him. A true friend would understand.

The other offer sounds really good - horse gift mouth.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 27, 2007
The way I would look at it is this -
1. Where do you see yourself after say 3 years in the friends org and in that other MNC.

2. If things dont work out in your friends company, and you have to close shop where do you stand then. What would be your market value.

3. If you feel and only you can decide that, the product and vision is there in your friends company and you are going to have the freedom to act accordingly then the sky would be the limit.

So it is a decision you should base on a these and more questions.

Cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 27, 2007
I'm with the D's (Dr. D and DD) on this one.

If the money was many times more than your offer or there were written incentives (such as part of the business) then it might be worth the trouble. But your friendship would definetely suffer.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2007
It would look better in the long run if you opted to go with the MNC.

Better experience as well. As the others have said, your friendship may be affected... Do the right thing for YOU and your Future. Dont please others...

Good Luck 8)
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum