Topic locked
300 Mar 19, 2007
Got a peak of this movie last night - OMG!!!!!

Directed by Zack Snyder, Starring Gerard Butler and Lena Headey.

Based on the novel by Frank Miller.

It's the story (loosely based on historical events) where 300 Spartans stood their ground against the invading Persian army in Thermopylae in 480 B.C.

Incredibly done, all shot on blue screen, the movie looks like a cut scene from a computer game like God of War.

Ok, the Persians are portrayed in a fantastical way and quite grotesque. But the action just keeps on coming.

Go the Greeks!!!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2007
Disappointing. First, one can't help but ignore the implied political propaganda through-out the film. The Spartans constantly proclaiming that they're fighting for "Freedom" and the Persians are naturally portrayed as an anti-freedom people who are thwarted by their belief in exotic "mysticism" :roll:

The dialogue is over-the-top and sometimes unintentionally funny. And some of the creatures are a rip-off from The Lord of the Ring trilogy! Sad!

This film is supposed to have elements of a video game and accuracy is not important BUT still, small details are more obvious than huge inaccuracies. Like the 300 men are shown leaving for battle only with what they're carrying, even though they're leaving under wraps, I kept thinking - aren't they going to need some water? What about food? What about an extra pair of speedos at least?

Another small distraction - it's surprisingly blood-less and messy-less. Hand to hand combats show spattering of blood but then, ooops where did all that blood go? Hundreds of bodies piled high, where are the pools of dried blood? Spartans are killing 10 men a minutes and they hardly get any blood on themselves! :)

I guess most game boys and action buffs might like the film and the film's homo eroticism will make others happy; I think it was plain silly though....
freza
Dubai chat master

Mar 20, 2007
Freza, I think the funny dialogue WAS INTENTIONAL. And there was blood all over the place - you're kidding me.

I thought it was a unique film, very cleverly done. I really liked it. Of course it was made more fantastical and is based on a novel and not a historical documentary.

The Spartans were fighting machines, they have no need for food or water or change of clothes :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2007
I had seen the movie trailer and definitely will watch it!!!
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 20, 2007
I must admit Gerard Butler was sexy as hell - even with the crazy beard.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2007
I've been waiting for this movie since last year. The trailer was released along time ago!

I can't wait for the weekend to go watch it. :wink:
Lexer
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 20, 2007
Do you need to see the other 299 first, or does it make sense straight away?
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2007
Stupid comment!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 21, 2007
Dr.D wrote:Do you need to see the other 299 first, or does it make sense straight away?

Haven't laughed this loud in a while!

It's funny chocs admit it!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2007
different sense of humor i guess :) maybe choco needs a different style to tickle her funny bone :lol:

but yea am gonna watch this one
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2007
That was kiddie humour to me.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 21, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:That was kiddie humour to me.

I don't think you have a sense of humour, at least not one we've seen yet.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2007
Well certainly your simplistic humour doesn't appeal to me. There are lots of things that make me laugh. What you wrote just made me go 'Duh!'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 21, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Well certainly your simplistic humour doesn't appeal to me. There are lots of things that make me laugh. What you wrote just made me go 'Duh!'.

I think it was Einstein who said beauty lies in simplicity. I think he also said, make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Sorry, but I don't do complicated, I'll leave that to those holier than thou.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2007
Anyway back ON TOPIC!

Go see 300! It's BRILLIANT!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk