Greetings From Down Under!

Topic locked
Greetings from Down Under! Jan 23, 2007
G'day all, Mike is the name and I'm from Sunny-sometimes-Sydney, Aus. My old man currently lives in UAE and has been there for a few years now. Having finished school and a couple of years in the work force, I am considering of moving over there with him (Hope he doesn't frequent this site... I haven't discussed it with him :P yet)... I'm 19 and I was recently working with Fitness First, Australia. I am aware that there are a couple of clubs throughout Dubai and would be interested in checking out the jobs offered. I used to live in Singapore and I know that a major majority of the population speaks English. Is it the same in Dubai with such a high population of expatriates? For example, taking a sales/personal training job at FF, would it be a requirement to speak Arabic-tongue or the national language? I have tried to educate mself on this, but stumbled upon this forum and thought the experience/knowledge of you guys might be best.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to possibly seeing you in Dubai!!!!! :D

PTMike
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 23, 2007
you'll be fine. most people speak english here...not so much arabic anymore :(
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2007
Moved to Expat Help
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 24, 2007
I too am from Sydney and have been a member of FF for 5 years.

That's beside the point.....

.....I know of a Fitness First in Ibn Batuta Mall and know for a fact they are looking to expand throughout UAE.

The PT's in the club seem to be predominately from Eastern Europe. You should prob ask FF Aust to send a letter of recommendation if you choose to come out. I'm not sure of the contract arrangement of PT's in Dubai. In Aust as you would know the PT's pay the host club monthly? fee, then the PT gets clients and keeps waht they earn above the set fee / month?

Not sure whether they would do it that way here. The club here may only pay a wage and keep the profits. Not sure. Speculating
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 24, 2007
Oops, posted in the wrong section!!! My bad!
Yeah, in Aus you'd pay a franchise fee of (roughly) $1200 +$300 p/wk for rent. Besides rent (and tax), everything you earn you keep. I'd assume all FF throughout the world would be run the same way, or close to. However, I could be wrong!!!
PTMike
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2007
A little of subject, this time in regards to pubs and clubs. I have heard that the entry age is 21 :shock: Are they strict on this rule??
PTMike
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2007
21 is adult over here... but there are always ways around it, just like at home for 17 y.o's.

Another Sydney-sider and FF club member.

Small world!
PMS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum