Why Is The PS3 So Damn Expensive?

Topic locked
Why is the PS3 so damn expensive? Dec 22, 2006
I just can't get it! We're supposed to b in a tax free country so why is the PS3 dat expensive +5,000 dhs? 4 example, when released in Europe (March/April '07) it will b 4 sell @ 2,500 dhs (500 eur - 20 GB model) or 3,000 dhs (600 eur - 60 GB) which is already costy...

Frodo

Dec 22, 2006
My best guess is that the PS3 is in very limited supply at the moment so the price is made artificially high.

The PS3 is also pretty expensive because of the Blu-ray drive, which is new technology and expensive to manufacture. I have read somewhere that Sony are currently loosing about $200 per PS3 that they sell!

Just wait 6 months and i think the price will come down. It's not worth getting the PS3 for gaming at the moment anyway as there are no decent games yet.
rAMrAID
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2006
It is always like that for any new Hi tech gadget comes out in the market. It is strategically price like that. We call it pyramid price scheme just like mobile phones.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 02, 2007
dont forget Dubai is a city for EXPENSIVE tax free shopping

i know it sounds lame but its the truth
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 03, 2007
I am getting sick of this tax-free tag BS... There are no taxes, true, fair enough but there are other costs that make up for it, the rent increases, the cost of living, fuel prices, parking meters and the stupid fines and starting from next year we'd have the tolls on the roads *bangs head against wall*

I also read that VAT will be introduced in the country, how true is that?!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 03, 2007
as i always say

No Money, No Honey ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 06, 2007
I guess I'll have 2 set my tent @ work very soon with ALL thez XXtra costs :D
Cheers 4 the comments 4 the PS3, the pyramid scheme should b the main reason 4 this ENORMOUS pricing...let's wait a few months n c

TC
Frodo

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk