Coming To Dubai

Topic locked
Coming To Dubai Dec 11, 2006
Hi All,

My company have just won a project in Dubai, they want me to come over and manage this for 9 months, starting April/May next year.

So - what do I need to know? What should I be thinking about ? Anyone got any tips/hints?

Ive never worked abroad before, so this is all new to me........

The project is on the Palm, we will be looking for soewhere to rent (2 bed) close to there, how much should I budget (this of course will be paid for!)

any info would be welcome..........

darrens_here
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 11, 2006
relax...no need to get excited, you can come here and stay in a hotel for few days till that time search for accomodation (where? New papers or this site :) ) still wondering y ur company is not providing u that.

as u will be new to this place it will take some time for u to adjust with the new enviroment
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 11, 2006
hmmm...if you are only going to be out here for 9 months the company should really provide your housing for you. Most rents in Dubai require you to pay a year up front, which is not very helpful if you are not here for a full 12 months.
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 11, 2006
Hi guys,

Yes the company will pay, but I will have to find it. Paying for 12 months, for the 9month occupancy shouldnt be a problem it thats all there is, I'll proabbly need a 3month holiday after to recover !!

So, what about other things, enviroment, temp (im assumin hot) but is it humid, what about the nights?

Never been to Dubai, or anywhere like it, should be fun !!!!

Is there anywhere NOT to look for accomadation, ie any bad areas?

Is there anyone in the onstruction industry fancy giving me a few pointers, Im likely to need the help of some H&S guys, suppliers etc etc (cemenet and sand! and other flooring stuff)
darrens_here
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 11, 2006
you will probably want to live relatively close to where you will be working - to avoid traffic hassles.

Like me you will be arriving just in time for Summer - coming from Australia I didn't find the heat too bad it was the humidity that killed me! and with no rain in the summer to cool things down the nights are just as bad.

Having said that you can get about most of the summer from one air-conditioned area to another, though being in construction I don't know whether you will have to get about site much.

This is my first winter in Dubai and it is really nice - I actually didn't think it would get so cold here - when I left I thought I had seen the last of my jumpers and trackies!

Good Luck - if your companies looking after you, you should have fun!
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 12, 2006
I think I will be looked after in that respect. Off course on site, who knows A/c ?!?!

One thing thats just cropped up that i DIDNT even know is the living whilst unmarried thing !!

The plan was that my g/f comes and works for me in the "office" which in all aspects will probably be a spare room........... but Ive just read its illegal to live together if you are not married or related !?!?!

Ive read the massive thread on this website, and now i am pooing myself !!!

Dont want to come without her !!!
darrens_here
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 12, 2006
Your site office should be air-conditioned so no probs there - just getting about around site that will be fun in the summer.

Living together when you are not married....hmmm...hot topic out here and everyone has their own opinions about.

If she is working for you will your company be sponsoring her i.e. for residence visa etc? cuz if they aren’t, you can’t (cuz you aren’t married) and she will have to do a couple of visa runs while here - easy to do if you have the right passport, where is she from?

my partner and I got married before coming out, but we probably would have done so anyway, so wasn’t a huge decision. Cuz we are here indefinitely figured it would make things easier.

I think since you are only here 9 months, you could probably lay low and as long as you don’t pi*s off any neighbors you should be right!!?!
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 12, 2006
I also got married but had been engaged for 4 years so about time some would say!

I think as long as you put everything (rent, bills etc.) in your name it will largely go unnoticed for such a short space of time. The only issue would be that your girlfriend would have to come on her own work visa which, depending on what she does, could be a hassle to get. What does she do? Unless it's a management position, she may also have to take a reasonable drop in salary and still work long hours, my wife had a bit of a hassle finding something that suited.

You'll want to live anywhere in either Dubai internet city, The Greens or Al Barsha really for where you're working (assuming it's the Jumeirah Palm - there are 2 others at Deira and Jebel Ali).
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum