Traveling Around Europe

Topic locked
Traveling around Europe Nov 29, 2006
Hallo everybody
I am going to go to Italy, but I don't know which cities to visit
Could you give me some advice?
Has anybody been to that country? what are your impression?
Lots of thanks

gabrielj
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 29, 2006
first welcome on DF.

hmm there is a lot to visit: depends on what u prefer:milano is considered to be the most sophisticated city of italy (fashion, moders art and stuff) u might wanna consider visiting san marino aslo i heared it;s pretty nice...italy is amazing from all points of view
maybe this link will help u. have a nice trip
http://www.iexplore.com/dmap/Italy/Wher ... P2MN5XCGWQ
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 29, 2006
I went to Italy about 2 years ago....Rome, Venice, Naples, Isle of Capri, and Sorrento. Rome is really nice, cosmopolitan and historical at the same time. There is great shopping, trendy restaurants, cute cafes and a lot of gorgeous sites to see. I won't go through all the historical sites because if you google it you will find tons. I wasn't that much of a fan of Venice at all, it smelled like pee and I didn't see what all the hype was about. They have some awesome seafood restaurants, but I wasn't that into the city. Naples was dirty but awesome food and a really cute coastal town. My most favorite parts of Italy were the south, Capri and Sorrento were SOOOOO beautiful. You take a boat from Naples to get there..the Mediteranean is just soooo beautiful and these Islands are amazing. Capri is just soooo gorg...you have to to take a rickety car up to the top which goes around and around and around the mountain island (you may get sick) but the scenery is breathtaking. Lemon trees everywhere, amazing summer homes....and at the top there are so many restaurants and little shops. There is also a lagoon/cave type thing you can take a boat into, I didn't get a chance to that but I have heard it is really nice. Don't miss it! Sorrento has the same charm as Capri...there are such pretty colored houses right on the cliffs....and really nice shops and restaurants. To be honest the food in Italy did not meet my expectations (maybe because they were so high). I found a lot of the dishes to be way too simple for my liking, but I did have some good meals. Especially the seafood, pizza, and some great sandwiches that you can get from street vendors. Also try and wander into a bakery, with italian pastries, coffee and chocolates... MMMM
Okay this got much longer than I wanted....So to sum it up, Rome is a must -see, all the sites and so much to do....And in my opinion the south of Italy shouldn't be missed!

Ciao
noni
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2006
Italy :D
i lived there for a while but was working like there is no tomorow so i cant be alot of help but i can give afew good advices :D
1. as for food .... go to a city which is not so far from milano , it is called Reggio Nella Emilia ( in the middle between parma and bologna , it is a small city with lot of good stuff inside it ,it is the best place all over italy to eat italian food , my advice is to go after big meat stakes which they do amazingly good , pizza is so good also , sea food amazing , spaghetti , red wine ( they have some kind of wine which they call vino which comes like coke and stuff and have gasses inside :D ) basicly , everything concern food is amazing there .
2. as for good palces to visit and history thing u can go to a Perugia which has an amazing stuff and charming nature , or go to parma where you can find the lake where napolion used to take his mistress to the island in the middle of it .
3.as for sea sures i dont think i will be able to say alot since it needs more than aday of speaking :P but u will be amazed :D
i think this is alot more than u need maybe , so enjoy ;)
Protoss
Dubai Forum User

Nov 29, 2006
i have not been there but i know the italian consulate call center suckss..it kills ppl
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 12, 2009
Venice
Rome
Stelvio
denicka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 21, 2009
I've only been to Venice, but would definitely recommend it. I didn't do much in particular there, just wandered the streets, looking around - and it was a lovely way to spend a few days.

I understand that Venice is best avoided in high summer because of the smell, but I went in late May and it was fine. I managed to eat an al fresco breakfast each morning next to a canal without retching. :D
dawnage
Dubai Forum User

Mar 05, 2009
Good places in Italy. There are many. Try www.visit-rome.co.uk and www.visit-sorrento.co.uk . Also on www.visit-the-world.co.uk

Good places:-
[1] Sorrento ; Capri; Amalfi ; Positano ; Pompeii ; Vesuvius .....staying in Sorrento as a centre.
[2] Florence and Pisa , although I hope that some of the Florence graffiti is removed . Far TOO MUCH graffiti in Italy !
[3] Sienna is beautiful. Catch the Palio horse-race in the summer.
[4] Asissi is very nice, but an earthquake hit it a year after we were there.
[5] Rome is really worth seeing. Trastevere district south of the Vatican, for restaurants and narrow , ancient streets . You MUST see St Peter's in the Vatican. You will be astounded !!
[6] Go to Venice in FEBRUARY , for the Carnival. Fewer crowds and no drain smells , either.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Traveling around Europe Aug 08, 2009
gabrielj wrote:Hallo everybody
I am going to go to Italy, but I don't know which cities to visit
Could you give me some advice?
Has anybody been to that country? what are your impression?
Lots of thanks

I had been to Italy many years ago in a group tour. Florence (Firenze) I liked the most, the streets are like an art museum. We went to a small island (I think it is a group of islands) called Capri. There were members of our groups who had been noisy and rough throughout, but in Capri they fell quiet. It is such a fantastic place. Just go there and don't go anywhere else. You can eat the fresh air and the lovely sea there!!
vistasad
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009
Vistasad

Capri is a lovely island in the Bay of Naples....not near Florence.
I mention Capri in my last email re www.visit-sorrento.co.uk.

Go to Positano and Amalfi as well . Beautiful !

Sorrento is a great centre because Vesuvius and Pompeii are also nearby.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
I think yhat Barcelona is a very fine city . Venice is another one ...Fascinating!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around