ASHES - Aus V England

Topic locked
Nov 25, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Day 3 7:30am and we are in deep trouble we still need more than 250 to avoid the follow on and only 4 wickets remaining. :cry: :cry: :cry:

7:50am 8/153, anyone know where the Australian Embassy is I wanna change my Nationality :lol:

Sorry Sage, the days are gone when all you needed to do was steal a rabbit to get a free ticket over there...

We are playing like pants! Its official!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Knight

Ain't that truth :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
Australia 1 - Engerland 0

Bring on Adelaide.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Australia 1 - Engerland 0

Bring on Adelaide.

I was hoping the hadn't noticed :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

Bring on Adelaide.

You were hoping I wouldn't notice??????????

I wouldn't notice??!?!??!?!

WTF?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Bring on Adelaide.

Well I knew you would make the most of it, hahahahaha

But hey, question, why the hell didn't Ponting enforce the follow-on??
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Bring on Adelaide.

The story is he wanted to give his bowlers a rest.

Perhaps he wanted to get to 9000 runs.
Perhaps he wanted to give the openers some more time to get some form.
Perhaps he wanted to help out the TV stations with advertising revenue.
Perhaps he wanted to assert the domination outright.
Perhaps he wanted to humiliate Engerland with a massice defeat.

It could be any or all of the above, it doesn't matter, we won and there is no need to dissect the events leading to the win.

On the other hand, the English press will be having a field day tearing your team down.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Bring on Adelaide.

The story is he wanted to give his bowlers a rest.

Perhaps he wanted to get to 9000 runs.
Perhaps he wanted to give the openers some more time to get some form.
Perhaps he wanted to help out the TV stations with advertising revenue.
Perhaps he wanted to assert the domination outright.
Perhaps he wanted to humiliate Engerland with a massice defeat.

It could be any or all of the above, it doesn't matter, we won and there is no need to dissect the events leading to the win.

On the other hand, the English press will be having a field day tearing your team down.

Press will be press, and indeed first innings they were awful.
Don't you think however that the final score would have looked better as;
An Innings + 75 runs defeat.
As for me, I went to bed dreaming that England could bat out the day :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
[quote="sage & onion]

But hey, question, why the hell didn't Ponting enforce the follow-on??[/quote]

The Aussies were being paid a % of the total gate receipts, so they wanted it to last longer = more cash for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

The Aussies were being paid a % of the total gate receipts, so they wanted it to last longer = more cash for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone has a conspiracy.

The simple thing is it was a crushing defeat. Analyse it how you want... you lost, and you lost badly.

The other reason of course is nobody wants to bat on a 5th day wicket.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
TBH, the result could have the opposite effect. England were toatlly demorilised after the first innings, however, they showed some grit in the second and that could be a positive sign and a bit of a confidence booster for them going into the second test.

However, i believe the above is complete cr@p and expect England to get thrashed again. :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
yorky500 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

The simple thing is it was a crushing defeat. Analyse it how you want... you lost, and you lost badly.

I agree it was a defeat, but I don't believe it was as "crushing" as everyone thinks it is. An Innings defeat would have been worse.

every time I see or hear cricket scores, and if it says "lost by an innings and xxx runs" I think, wow, one sided game, however, to see/hear "lost by 200 odds runs", its not that bad.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
yorky500 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I agree it was a defeat, but I don't believe it was as "crushing" as everyone thinks it is. An Innings defeat would have been worse.

every time I see or hear cricket scores, and if it says "lost by an innings and xxx runs" I think, wow, one sided game, however, to see/hear "lost by 200 odds runs", its not that bad.

Now this is of course the correct analysis, not that bad a result, bring on the second test all is not lost yet 8)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Now this is of course the correct analysis, not that bad a result, bring on the second test all is not lost yet 8)

???? Not that bad a result?!?!?

You guys were thrashed and beaten totally in every facet of the game.

The good thing about it going for 5 days is defeat for you guys was slow and merciless.

Not a bad result? Pfft. I would have near necked myself if this Aussie team lost to Australia by that margin.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Now this is of course the correct analysis, not that bad a result, bring on the second test all is not lost yet 8)

The good thing about it going for 5 days is defeat for you guys was slow and merciless.

Not a bad result? Pfft. I would have near necked myself if this Aussie team lost to Australia by that margin.

Your turn is coming :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

No you see, it's not. Normal order has been restored to the universe, and you guys are on a hiding to nothing.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

No you see, it's not. Normal order has been restored to the universe, and you guys are on a hiding to nothing.

No further comment, we will see :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

No further comment, we will see :wink:

We *have* seen.

If i was in Australia and had a ticket, I would be requesting a refund because the ticket says "Competition" on it. This is clearly against Australian advertising conduct regulations.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
I don't think a 200-odd win constitutes a walk-over. To be fair, it must be one of the few times that England can come out of a defeat with some positives, and Australia come out with a win and many negatives - once again, Ricky Ponting's captaincy has been found to be lacking when it is most needed.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
the_zooter wrote:I don't think a 200-odd win constitutes a walk-over. To be fair, it must be one of the few times that England can come out of a defeat with some positives, and Australia come out with a win and many negatives - once again, Ricky Ponting's captaincy has been found to be lacking when it is most needed.

Is it free drugs for poms today?

A 277 run win is a pretty big defeat, at least, if you're Australian.

You only question a captain when he loses, not when he scores 196, 60, and his main strike bowler take 6/90 with the majority of dismissals being through a well placed field.

Australia was never troubled.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
To be fair - you should have won that game at a canter, two days ago. Ricky Ponting just hasn't got what it takes to be a captain - he's not ruthless enough (like a Taylor or Waugh). Case in point, I can't think that Steve Waugh would have ever batted on so that one of his players cold get a hundred, so that he could prove the doubters wrong. Australia could have easily won that match by an innings and 277 runs - instead, Ponting has allowed the England batsman to regroup and have another crack at batting, which to be fair, they made a pretty good fist of on a final day pitch with some crack on it like the grand canyon! 370 is a good total for a fourth innings, and has given England some hope now for the next 4 tests.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
the_zooter wrote:To be fair - you should have won that game at a canter, two days ago. Ricky Ponting just hasn't got what it takes to be a captain - he's not ruthless enough (like a Taylor or Waugh). Case in point, I can't think that Steve Waugh would have ever batted on so that one of his players cold get a hundred, so that he could prove the doubters wrong. Australia could have easily won that match by an innings and 277 runs - instead, Ponting has allowed the England batsman to regroup and have another crack at batting, which to be fair, they made a pretty good fist of on a final day pitch with some crack on it like the grand canyon! 370 is a good total for a fourth innings, and has given England some hope now for the next 4 tests.

RESPECT FOR THE_ZOOTER
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
i agree collingwood and pietersons confidence will grow knowing that they can knock out good second innings totals. not too worried about the batting, more the bowling.......we need 20 wickets to win the match but currently that doesnt look likely. going to have to play Panesar ?
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 27, 2006
Its a 5 match series, so England fall at the first fence. The battle may be lost but the war is still to be decided...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 27, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Its a 5 match series, so England fall at the first fence. The battle may be lost but the war is still to be decided...

8) 8) 8)

Knight

I needed you this morning when Ian was attacking without mercy :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Its a 5 match series, so England fall at the first fence. The battle may be lost but the war is still to be decided...

8) 8) 8)

Knight

I needed you this morning when Ian was attacking without mercy :lol:

I did my best to help S&O

I do note that Ian has gone very quiet. I do hope the victory hasn't gone to his head. Just to clarify, at the moment the Aussies need another 2 wins to regain the Ashes. England also only need 2 wins to retain them. All that win has done is even things up a little more.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
the_zooter wrote:I do note that Ian has gone very quiet.

Sorry, the good Dr. had to do a house call.

I do hope the victory hasn't gone to his head. Just to clarify, at the moment the Aussies need another 2 wins to regain the Ashes. England also only need 2 wins to retain them. All that win has done is even things up a little more.

England need to win 1 and draw the remainder.

Australia need only draw the remainder.

Ashes are coming home.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:England need to win 1 and draw the remainder.

Ashes are coming home.

Wow - that doesn't sound like a man who is full of confidence for his team who have just thrashed England in the opening match.

So you'll be playing for the draw now then?? I sincerely hope they don't. I'd love to see both sides play two spinners in the next match - will make for an intriguing contest.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
^ian^ wrote:England need to win 1 and draw the remainder.

Ashes are coming home.

Wow - that doesn't sound like a man who is full of confidence for his team who have just thrashed England in the opening match.

On the contrary, I was affirming the mathematical position.

So you'll be playing for the draw now then?? I sincerely hope they don't. I'd love to see both sides play two spinners in the next match - will make for an intriguing contest.

I'm going to go with the old hasbeen McGrath who only took 6/50 in the first innings, and say it's going to be 5-0.
^ian^

Nov 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I'm going to go with the old hasbeen McGrath who only took 6/50 in the first innings, and say it's going to be 5-0.

If you win the test series 5-0, I promise I will come to Dubai and publically eat my hat! (Please England, just hold out for one draw!!)
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 27, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
^ian^ wrote:I'm going to go with the old hasbeen McGrath who only took 6/50 in the first innings, and say it's going to be 5-0.

If you win the test series 5-0, I promise I will come to Dubai and publically eat my hat! (Please England, just hold out for one draw!!)

Don't worry Zoots, if you have to do it, I will supply the beverage to wash it down :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat