ALL THIS TALK

Topic locked
ALL THIS TALK Oct 11, 2006
all this talk about cars and modifications an stuff like that ..

is there anyone here that can actually get down an strip a engine .. or modifiy there own car ... ???

cause in the uae ive noticed the guys jst got the cash an just know the products by name an alittle knowledge from here an there an car magazines ... but they really dont know wats goin on with there care .. all they about is accelerating an braking .. an alittle bullshit talk in between that theyve heard from places ...

just intrested in knowin who really got the knowledge.

Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 12, 2006
an which those might be?
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 12, 2006
I can strip an engine. Change oil, pads, filters and all the regular maintainance. Put tires on wheels (though i don't know how to balance them).

I'm pretty good at diagnosing problems and fitting after market and custom parts.

But i will admit i am useless when it comes to tuning and tweeking air/fuel balance or anything else that can be tweeked.
bear
Dubai chat master

Oct 12, 2006
I can and have worked on it all - but the work im the most proud of, is altering and machining the ports and valves in the cylinder head.

Anybody can buy and mount accesories, but optimizing the cylinderhead lighten crank shaft, balancing pistons and conrods, and making it work, is a big thrill - it's been a while thou.. Haven't got the timefor it anymore.
MilleDane
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 12, 2006
I can put air in the tires and throw empty beer cans in the back seat
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 12, 2006
I can take my entire car apart if I had the complete WORK manual. I have parts of it, and I've taken my dash apart partially to do stuff underneath. I've also fixed a coolant leak myself once by cutting and modifying the piping, after some dumbass told me my water pump is gone and I was ready to get a tow truck. Also fixed loose connections in the tail-lights. New cars just shut down nowadays if they have problems.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: ALL THIS TALK Oct 12, 2006
Jamal wrote:all this talk about cars and modifications an stuff like that ..

is there anyone here that can actually get down an strip a engine .. or modifiy there own car ... ???

cause in the uae ive noticed the guys jst got the cash an just know the products by name an alittle knowledge from here an there an car magazines ... but they really dont know wats goin on with there care .. all they about is accelerating an braking .. an alittle bullshit talk in between that theyve heard from places ...

What the master plan homie?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 12, 2006
mraph33 wrote:I can put air in the tires and throw empty beer cans in the back seat

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know the ff:

- need to put gas every now and then,
- need to mantain the car clean and shiny, inside and out,
- errrmmmm bumping another car is not funny anymore :?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Stripin engine? no problem! Oct 12, 2006
Well if you ask me? i'd say if i have that amount of free time i can do almost anything for my car, i had bought this VW tool box from the UK, so the other day i had some time and nothing to do so i decided to open up the front bumper and i removed all the parts the fog lamps, grills etc...cleaned the beam and i could've removed the radiator too but the engine was hot so i didn't. And i do al the fliud changing in my car, than just 2 months back i had opened up the whole engine cover, cleaned my valves, air filer, removed the battery clean it too, than refixed them all. Than recently my rear brake light and a number plate bulb failed. So i bought the new bulbs and since i was gonna replace i thought why not open up a whole rear light frames and clean it from the inside!
Now if you guys are wondering why i'm using this 'clean' word so many times, its because i believe that if a car is real clean than it should be from inside-out! What's more i even fixed a side-skirt which i ordered from Germany, this part is only one of its kind here, so I fixed it, i got it painted from Nabooda and than i fixed it using all the tools i needed and placing them in order, and than joining them on the jacks i fitted. So even as far as mechanical work is concerned, trust me! I can do it 8)
Coming to modifications, well not for the time being! Because my car is still under agency warranty, i don't wanna mess up with engine internals....but after that is over, i will do almost every mods related to engine myself :wink: apart from that i can change engine oil which i'm sure many of us can, fix extra speakers in my car which i've decided to do it sooner or later as i know a bit of electrical work too, what's more i even have my own personal underground parking in my building :lol: so there's peace of mind!

When we all talk about some thing, it really means mostly that we're into it 8) but that should not mean we rip our engines apart every now and then!
true guys?
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: ALL THIS TALK Oct 13, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:

the master plan is too get a beat up old ride ... an rebuild the whole thing from scratch ...

still deciding on wat the car should be ... its gotta be something common though .. somethin that can be found in the uae ..
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Re: ALL THIS TALK Oct 13, 2006
Jamal wrote:
XRW-147 wrote:

the master plan is too get a beat up old ride ... an rebuild the whole thing from scratch ...

still deciding on wat the car should be ... its gotta be something common though .. somethin that can be found in the uae ..

If you have a garage at your villa or whatever, then go for it. I had to do what I needed to do in the municipality's paid parking lot in the sun.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 13, 2006
Im teaching myself - very slowly.

It does pay to be cautious when your car is expensive - I have no desire to blow a rod through my block by in teaching myself how to tune.

Best to know your limitations me thinks.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Hey Jamal Oct 13, 2006
Hi jamal, well if you have a free and safe place than go for it, now for the car?? well as you said some thing common....i guess the best and easiest car is 98-2000 Honda Civic LXi. Trust me mate, it'll be a child's play for a guy like you, the car is easy to open from any where! you can remove the tyres, seats, dashboard, gear panel, even the engine if you have a lift jack (you know the ones you see in pvt. garages a jack with chains on it to lift the engine....once you've de-mounted it and disengaged the transmission, the engine is your toy, now if you have the right tools, you can safely open your engine head (i'd like to add here that prior to all this make sure you have the right parts you wanna change with), change cams, valves, etc tune it the way you want it :wink: but safely remember the steps for doing all that. Once engine is done, fix other stuff like HKS airfilter, turbos, etc. put sports seats, sports design front-rear bumpers with side skirts, lower your ride, sports suspensions! install performance barkes, etc...put new lights...convert to HID Xenons.....some vinyles....and neon lights under front-rear bumpers and finally get it checked from garage for its perfection....and there you go mate.......Jamal's Civic from 2fast 2furious :D

other cars you could consider for moding frm scratch apart from Civic are:
Lancer LX (2003-2004)
Accord EX(1996-1997)
Mazda 323 LXi (2000-2003)
Camry GL (1996 -1998)
Maxima 30J (1997-1999)

that's all what i could think of...guys can help you with more ideas....but honestly civic's gonna prove appealing in the end of the day :wink:
tell us about it, c ya.
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 14, 2006
im already workin on a car right now ...

i was suggesting the master plan ... so all of us here on the forums who are intrested in doin this kindda stuff .. can get togather an get a car .. an just build it up togather u know wat i mean ....
as far as the place goes i got this wearhouse turn'd garage that me an a couple of ma homies have rented ...
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 14, 2006
Jamal wrote:im already workin on a car right now ...

i was suggesting the master plan ... so all of us here on the forums who are intrested in doin this kindda stuff .. can get togather an get a car .. an just build it up togather u know wat i mean ....
as far as the place goes i got this wearhouse turn'd garage that me an a couple of ma homies have rented ...

Homies? Uh oh...
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sounds ok Oct 15, 2006
i didn't quit get that? you mean we all buy a normal car and share on the parts? so who's car will it be anyway? or did you mean that who ever is interested amongst us can buy an old car and get it tuned?
update on that,
cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 15, 2006
good..then if thats the case.. then count me in
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Oct 15, 2006
shelling out cash is the most hesitatiting part .. not for me.. though..

lets get an ol civic or accord ( yes exactly.. the grey / black coupe one )
or a lancer ??
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Oct 15, 2006
Jamal,
I have been working on my 1986 944 Turbo for the past 7 years, all HANDS DOWN experience myself.

I strip it, rebuilt half the engine, went into modifications and followed all the specifications/tolerances using the factory workshop manual(s).

I also have a number of contacts in the USA, who taught me from the ground up on tuning the cars (this model specifically), from engien timing, to dialing in solid AFR, into watching EGT's, injector duty cycles, fuel pressure (rising and static) and so forth.

I used to take my car to shops, HOC and Quater Mile to be exact, and never got satisfied with the work, and paied $$$. So i got the manuals, 7 years ago, and saw that they actually screwed up a few things here and there.....and decided to become a serious DIY into the car world.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 16, 2006
Homie I'm down.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
Your quite right Hosrom - if you want something done properly you have to teach yourself to do it.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2006
Trust me when i say this....

Knowing how cars (or a certain car) works, is completely different than working on a car....

The smallest of things, could be a 3mm allen bolt, could completely mess up you're work.......

Everything is easy on paper.....get you're hand dirty and it's a different story.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto