Earliest Christians: Jewish Christians

Topic locked
Earliest Christians: Jewish Christians Aug 18, 2012
(Warning, long post. ;) )

eh recently linked to the quotlibeta forum where there is a very interesting discussion on 'Christian Beginnings - from Nazareth to Nicea' a book by a respected and eminent scholar, Geza Vermes. It quotes from an article on the subject matter of the book which deals with the early church.

The distinction between Jewish Christians and Gentiles is explored in detail. Initially, Jesus was not considered a deity - and the many references Christians cite for their 'Nicean creed' or Trinitarian views are challenged as being later additions or later interpretations.

What is clear is that the earliest 'Jewish Christians' did not view Jesus as the later 'Gentile Christians' did. Vermes talks about the 'Pauline-Johannine' concepts of atonement and redemption being missing from the earliest Jewish Christian beliefs.

Below I extract some parts from Vermes article (and the link is given at the end), but it is interesting to read through the debate on Quodlibeta as well - there the objections/arguments from Trinitarian Christians are dealt with quite comprehensively by the poster 'sankari':
http://jameshannam.proboards.com/index. ... 135&page=1

(Thanks eh for linking to that forum - most enlightening thread there).

Here are the quotes from Vermes' article:
The combined expression "Jewish Christian", made up of two seemingly contradictory concepts, must strike readers not specially trained in theology or religious history as an oxymoron. For how can someone simultaneously be a follower of both Moses and Jesus? Yet at the beginning of the Christian movement, in the first hundred years of the post-Jesus era, encounters with Jewish Christians distinguishable from Gentile Christians were a daily occurrence both in the Holy Land and in the diaspora.

Among the oldest Christian writings, two in particular offer a splendid insight into the divergences between the two branches of the Jesus followers. The 16 chapters of the Didache, or Doctrine of the Twelve Apostles, probably composed in Palestine or Syria, is our last major Jewish Christian document preserved in full, and the Epistle of Barnabas is one of the earliest expressions of Gentile Christianity, filled with anti-Jewish strictures.

The existence of the Didache was known as long ago as the fourth century. Eusebius mentions it. However, the full Greek text was first published by Philotheos Bryennios in 1883 from an 11th-century manuscript identified by him ten years earlier. It contains no identifiable chronological pointers, but is generally assigned to the second half of the first century CE, thus probably antedating some of the writings of the New Testament.

Its religious programme is built on the essential summary of the Mosaic Law, the love of God and of the neighbour, to which is added the so-called "golden rule" in its negative Jewish form, "Whatever you do not want to happen to you, do not do to another" (Did. 1.2), instead of the positive Gospel version, "Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them" (Mt. 7:12; Lk 6:31). The lifestyle recommended is that of the primitive Jerusalem community described in the Acts, including religious communism: "Share all things with your brother and do not say that anything is your own" (Did. 4.8). The Didache seems to recommend the observance of the entire Mosaic Law or at least as much of it as is possible (Did. 6.2).

Perhaps the most significant element of the doctrine handed down in the Didache concerns its understanding of Jesus. This primitive Judaeo-Christian writing contains none of the theological ideas of Paul about the redeeming Christ or of John's divine Word or Logos. Jesus is never called the "Son of God". Astonishingly, this expression is found only once in the Didache where it is the self-designation of the Antichrist, "the seducer of the world" (Did. 16.4). The only title assigned to Jesus in the Judaeo-Christian Didache is the Greek term pais, which means either servant or child. However, as Jesus shares this designation in relation to God with King David (Did. 9.2; see also Acts 4:25), it is clear that it must be rendered as God's "Servant". If so, the Didache uses only the lowliest Christological qualification about Jesus.

In short, the Jesus of the Didache is essentially the great eschatological teacher, who is expected to reappear soon to gather together and transfer the dispersed members of his church to the Kingdom of God. The Pauline-Johannine ideas of atonement and redemption are nowhere visible in this earliest record of Judaeo-Christian life. While handed down by Jewish teachers to Jewish listeners, the image of Jesus remained close to the earliest tradition underlying the Synoptic Gospels, and the Christian congregation of the Didache resembled the Jerusalem church portrayed in the Acts of the Apostles.

The switch in the perception of Jesus from charismatic prophet to superhuman being coincided with a geographical and religious change, when the Christian preaching of the Gospel moved from the Galilean-Judaean Jewish culture to the pagan surroundings of the Graeco-Roman world. At the same time, under the influence of Paul's organising genius, the church acquired a hierarchical structure governed by bishops with the assistance of presbyters and deacons. The disappearance of the Jewish input opened the way to a galloping "gentilisation" and consequent de-judaisation and anti-judaisation of nascent Christianity, as may be detected from a glance at the Epistle of Barnabas.

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/4204/full

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Earliest Christians: Jewish Christians Aug 18, 2012
shafique wrote:Below I extract some parts from Vermes article (and the link is given at the end), but it is interesting to read through the debate on Quodlibeta as well - there the objections/arguments from Trinitarian Christians are dealt with quite comprehensively by the poster 'sankari':

And here's sankari's first post in that thread:

sankari wrote:I'm not impressed by Vermes' comments.

[...]

Mere quibbling.

Didache 9:2
First, concerning the cup. We thank thee, our Father, for the holy vine, David thy Son, which thou hast made known unto us through Jesus Christ thy Son; to thee be the glory for ever.

Anyone going to tell me this isn't identifying Jesus as the Son of God?

Thanks for the laugh. So, sankari, a poster you specifically gave kudos to is "not impressed" by Vermes' arguments; and, in fact, quotes the Didache (which doesn't help your argument in other areas) to show his disagreement with Vermes' conclusions based on the Didache.

Here's also a post from the same OP you took the Verme's comments but forgot to include (warning, long post):

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Dev ... esus.shtml

How soon did early followers of Jesus regard him as divine? By what historical process did this Jewish man from Galilee who was executed by the Roman governor of Judea become revered by followers as uniquely exalted to heavenly glory? How did those who first thought of him as divine reverence him and express their devotion to him? These are not new questions, but in recent decades, what were thought to be secure answers have been challenged. In this newer research, more sophisticated approaches to the questions are producing major revisions in received scholarly opinion.

[...]

Also, I showed that all of the earliest expressions of belief in/about Jesus clearly reflect the influences and resources of the Jewish religious tradition, which was the religious matrix of earliest Christianity. Now, in a much larger study with a chronological scope that runs from the beginning of the Christian movement down into the late second century, I offer an analysis that is intended to compete with Bousset’s classic study: Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity (Eerdmans, 2003).

In these and other publications of the last decade and more, I have emphasized that the most remarkable and eloquent indication of Jesus’ exalted place in their faith was a constellation of devotional actions that comprised what I termed a “binitarian” devotional pattern in which Jesus was reverenced uniquely along with God. In fact, in these actions, which are taken for granted already in our earliest extant texts, Jesus was given the sort of reverence that was otherwise reserved for God alone in all known circles of devout Jews of the time.

These important early devotional actions, which comprise an unparalleled set of phenomena, especially when compared to devotional practice in ancient Jewish tradition, are the following. (1) Prayer was offered either “in Jesus’ name” or sometimes even to Jesus. (2) Collective ritual invocation and credal “confession” of Jesus characterized Christian worship gatherings. (3) The initiation rite widely used was a ritual immersion (“baptism”) that included an invocation of Jesus, and the baptized person was thought of as having been made Jesus’ property. (4) The sacred meals widely shared in Christian circles seem to have been understood and practiced characteristically as “the Lord’s supper,” with the risen Jesus understood as having a significance in the meal that can only be likened to that of a deity. (5) A very important feature of earliest Christian collective devotion was the singing/chanting of songs (“hymns”) that typically lauded Jesus. These appear to have included Old Testament Psalms interpreted as referring to Jesus and also fresh compositions that arose from the religious exaltation attributed to the Holy Spirit. (6) Prophetic oracles delivered as revelatory speech was another phenomenon familiar in many early Christian groups, and the striking feature was that these oracles were presented as coming from the risen Jesus. This is an astonishing phenomenon, given the strong sanction against prophecy from any source other than God in the ancient Jewish tradition that shaped earliest Christian values....

rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

A long post from eh, indeed. ;)

Let me just reply with Sankari's briefest post from the first page of that thread:

Oh, absolutely. I also believe the earliest Christians did not consider Jesus to be divine, let alone Yahweh.

He backs this up with quite a comprehensive treatment of the topic, and disagreeing with Hurtado's views you quoted above (noting in the process that Hurtado is a believer in trinitarian Christianity). Indeed, a few posters said his summary of the issue was excellent - and I agree. Here is a link to that post:
http://jameshannam.proboards.com/index. ... ge=1#12228

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well, as labarum points out, the Didache actually says the following:

labarum wrote:This is one of those cases where since the exact phrase "Son of God" is not directly applied to Jesus, it somehow is believed the concept does not exist. Much like denying the concept of the Trinity because the word "Trinity" does not appear in the New Testament.

Consider, for example, Chapter 7 of the Didache:

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

So who exactly does Dr. Vermes think is being referred to as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? And does not this language make a direct allusion to Matthew 28:19? Furthermore there is a description within the Didache of Satan posing as the Son of God which refers back to the earlier use of Son. Finally there are numerous quotes or allusions to Paul's letters in the Didache which makes the idea that this group had a vastly different theology quite questionable.

With all respect to Dr. Vermes, he comes off here as pulling a "Doherty" by claiming since certain things mentioned in the Gospels are not explicitly mentioned in the Didache, they must not have been known even if the purpose was different and the context implied they probably did know these things (Doherty did the same for Paul's letters). If that is indeed what he is arguing, it is a bit of a shock for someone as respected as Vermes.

But let's agree the Didache is a Jewish Christian document - so, when it talks about converting gentiles and rules for gentiles, the document undermines shafique's previous arguments he learned from missionary websites.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Earliest Christians: Jewish Christians Aug 19, 2012
I thought the evidence from the NT about the earliest Christians not believing in Jesus as a God to be most compelling :

You will search the NT in vain for any passage where Jesus is unambiguously identified and worshipped as the God of Israel. (Notice also that the Father alone is referred to as 'almighty'; Jesus never receives this honorific).

Throughout the book of Acts we receive details of the apostles' preaching lectures, yet in none of them do we find the message 'Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah, is the God of Israel.'

Jewish accusations against Christians in the NT are highly detailed, yet we never find them claiming that Christians have deified the Messiah or compromised Jewish monotheism in any way.

Time and time again the charges laid against them concern the Law of Moses (Acts 6:13; 7:14), alleged breach of Jewish customs (Acts 7:14), alleged propagation of unlawful customs (Acts 16:20-21), proclaiming Jesus as king (Acts 17:5-7), etc.

Time and time again we find the apostles distinguishing Jesus from the God of Israel in their epistles:

Romans 1:7, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
I Corinthians 1:1, '...called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God'
I Corinthians 1:4, '...the grace of God that was given to you in Christ Jesus'
II Corinthians 1:2, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
Galatians 1:3, 'Grace and peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ'
Ephesians 1:2, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
Philippians 1:2, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
Colossians 1:2, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father!'
I Thessalonians 1:1, '... to the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace and peace to you!'
II Thessalonians 1:2, 'Grace and peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
I Timothy 1:2, 'Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord!'
Titus 1:4, 'Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior!'
Philemon 1:3, 'Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!'
I Peter 1:3, 'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!'
II John 3, 'Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Son of the Father'

Notice the regular distinction between 'God' and 'Lord', as we find in Acts:

Acts 2:36, ''Therefore let all the house of Israel know beyond a doubt that God has made this Jesus whom you crucified both Lord and Christ.''

To Peter, God was someone other than Jesus, and Jesus was 'Lord.' We find this explicitly demonstrated in his speech at Pentecost (Acts 2).

Psalm 110 applies the non-divine title of adon ('lord' or 'my lord') to the Messiah. Peter applied that same non-divine title to Jesus. (Herbert W. Bateman IV is one Trinitarian who recognises this distinction, though it leads him to reject Psalm 110 as Messianic precisely because it does reflect a non-divine Christ; see 'Psalm 110:1 and the New Testament', Bibliotheca Sacra 149 (Oct. 1992): 438-53).

In Peter's mind, Jesus was the Messiah of Psalm 110 but he was not God. To Paul, the same distinction applied (I Corinthians 8:4-6, 'one God, the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ').

James F. McGrath (The Only True God: Early Christian Monotheism in Its Jewish Context, University of Illinois Press, 2009, p.41-2) is helpful here:

Let us begin by looking first at slightly later Christian parallel, I Timothy 2:5.

Whether or not this letter was written by Paul himself need not concern us, since the view of God and Christ expressed seems to be seeking to remain true to Paul's legacy, on this point at least. What is important for our purposes is that it shows another example of an early Christian statement of faith which asserts that there is one God and one mediator.

Here — as also, I would argue, in I Corinthians 8:6 — we have before us an expanded Shema rather than a split Shema. In other words, something has been added on the outside, alongside the Shema, rather than on the inside, into the definition of the nature of God himself.

The affirmation of the oneness of God is a traditional Jewish axiom, and in I Timothy 2:5 we find added alongside it the additional claim that this one God has only one mediator between himself and human kind: the human being Christ Jesus.

It seems appropriate to interpret the passage in I Corinthians along similar lines: The affirmation of 'one God' represents the monotheistic confession of the Shema, and the affirmation of 'one Lord' is added to it.

Commentators today agree that I Corinthians 8:6 is polemical (e.g. Erik Waaler, The Shema and The First Commandment in First Corinthians: An Intertextual Approach to Paul's Re-reading of Deuteronomy, Mohr Siebeck, 2008).

In defiance of pagan polytheism, Paul affirms his commitment to the one true God of Israel by saying that there are many which are called 'God' and many which are called 'Lord', but to Christians there is only one God (the Father) and one Lord (Jesus Christ).

Claiming that 'Lord' means 'Yahweh' in I Corinthians 8:6 is both exegetically unjustifiable and theologically problematic, not least because it defines Jesus as 'Yahweh' to the exclusion of the Father and does not resolve the Trinitarian dilemma that Jesus is not defined here as 'God.'

eh's comments/views about 'previous arguments' have more of a whiff of strawman about them. I have consistently said that the earliest Christians shared the Islamic view of Jesus not being a God, but a Prophet of God. eh always seems to resort to ad hominem attacks or spin when faced with evidence he can't answer.

However, this evidence of the earliest Christians not taking Jesus to be a God is indeed most compelling. Trinitarian Christians have to justify their faith and beliefs, but the evidence of the beliefs of the earliest Christians are clearly laid out and compelling (as well as being totally logical too).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Actually (key word: worship):

Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. (Matthew 2:2)

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:11)

And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. (Matthew 8:2)

While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. (Matthew 9:18)

Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. (Matthew 14:33)

Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (Matthew 15:25)

Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him. (Matthew 20:20)

And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. (Matthew 28:9)

And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. (Matthew 28:17)

And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: (Luke 24:52)

And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him. (John 9:38)
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

James Dunn's book 'Did the First Christians Worship Jesus' covers this aspect quite thoroughly, looking at the words and practice of worship in the NT.

The early Christians did not worship Jesus as God. As there's another thread on the book in question, we can take it up in that thread.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Thanks, but I was responding to the proof texting done in the comment you quoted which claimed Jesus was never worshiped in the NT - he was. The NT clearly says he was "worshiped".
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums