Da Vinci Code

Topic locked
May 10, 2006
In case some where wondering why I put aprostrophes in the Columbus "discorvering" America in 1492 it is because some claim that the Vikings "discovered" it in the 1100s (Newfoundland) and they are found artificats there. And yet others attribute the first "discovery" to the Pheonicians (modern day Brazil) and artificatsd of that have been found there too...

But the true discoverers where, of course, the Native Americans that crossed into the Americas during the last Ice Age....

Incidentally Ice Age 2 is FUNNY :)

Oh, and thanks Fayz...

Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Darn it! Now they're saying that the movie might not be cleared by the censors here as it's offensive to Christians - give me a figgin Kit Kat!

I heard today it will be released on 31 May 2006 here, minus a minute or two of editing - maybe the beginning, wasn't the curator found naked?

Although the book is fiction, there is a sentence at the beginning of it saying that it's based on fact or factual events or something. That's possibly why it's more offensive to Christians than something like The Exorcist which ironically, although is seen as fictional, may be closer to accepted Christian beliefs than anything in the DVC.

I don't see what there is in POTC that would be offensive to Christians from the POV of beliefs except maybe details of the story that differ depending on if you were Catholic or Protestant (Mel is Catholic). The graphic violence might be offensive but it's unlikely to be an inaccurate portrayal of the accepted (by Christians) story.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 11, 2006
The movie shall be released on May 31, 2006.

The scene that is cut is the one where an assasin strips naked in a church to kneel down a pray...

Thats kinda offensive so I am glad they cut it....

Everything is a go!!! :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 11, 2006
Liban, I agree with your previous, previous post 100%, and very well put I might add.

Of course being the movie nut I am I treat these things are a piece of creative work and nothing more.

Much of the Da Vinci Code is based on fact, like the secret societies of Opus Dei do actually exist, and that many of the createst arists and scientific minds were members of these societies, but whether they were setup to protect information is another matter. I'm really looking forward to it.

I found it funny though that a group of Albino people objected tp the assasin monk Silus being portrayed as an Albino, but that's what he is in the book - so why would you change it for the film - some people are way too sensitive - hello - MOVIE!!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
I found it funny though that a group of Albino people objected tp the assasin monk Silus being portrayed as an Albino, but that's what he is in the book - so why would you change it for the film - some people are way too sensitive - hello - MOVIE!!!!

Yeah, come on, play the white man!

The Autism Society of American complained about Dustin Hoffman's portrayal in Rain Man...some people are crazy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 18, 2006
Da Vince Code should not be allowed to shown in any muslim country because of its blasphemy against prophet Issa(pbuh), its claim that prophet(pbuh) was married and had children, something which is not true.
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

May 18, 2006
Liban wrote:The movie shall be released on May 31, 2006.

The scene that is cut is the one where an assasin strips naked in a church to kneel down a pray...

Thats kinda offensive so I am glad they cut it....

Everything is a go!!! :D

Liban the same way its not right to insult prophet Mohammed(pbuh), we should also not allow people to insult prophet Issa(pbuh)...
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

May 18, 2006
Calgary Muslim Leader to Protest Da Vinci Code Movie
Judeoscope - A Calgary Muslim leader who filed a Human Rights complaint against the Western Standard for reprinting the notorious Danish cartoons of Muhammad is now calling for a boycott of the movie based on Dan Brown’s bestseller novel The Da Vinci Code to be released next week.

Sayed Soharwardy, president of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, published last month the first issue of the Muslim Free Press in the aftermath of the “Cartoon Affair” in response to what he feels is a need for non-Muslims to understand Muslim values. He told the Calgary Sun today that the novel and the film mock his religion by questioning one of Islam’s most important prophets, Jesus Christ. “He’s part of my faith”, declared Soharwardy, “and deserves to be treated with honour and respect”.

The Da Vinci Code, a work of fiction, suggests that the Catholic Church concealed throughout its history that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child and that their bloodline has survived to this day. It also describes Jesus’ “true” legacy as a fertility pagan cult.

A “few secular fanatics cannot undermine the high honours of Jesus Christ”, declared Soharwardy in a press statement released Thursday, adding “it is time for Muslims to standby (sic) with Christian friends and express solidarity with Prophet Jesus Christ” while claiming that “Muslims are looking forward to his second coming”.

Though he told the Calgary Sun he doesn’t believe in censorship, he stated that such a movie “should not have been produced” and that “if we don’t stand up to these movies, they’ll become more frequent”.

Al Madinah Calgary Islamic Centre will host the protest against the movie on May 19.

Indian Muslims, Christians Against 'Da Vinci'
5/15/06

MUMBAI, May 15, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – Indian Muslims said on Monday, May 15, that they would take to the streets with their Christian fellows if the authorities did not ban the screening of the controversial film, "The Da Vinci Code."

"The Da Vinci Code is blasphemous as it spreads lies about Jesus Christ," Maulana Mansoor Ali Khan, general secretary of the All-India Sunni Jamiyat-ul-Ulema, an umbrella organization of Muslim scholars, told Reuters.

"The holy Qur'an recognizes Jesus as a prophet. What the book says is an insult to both Christians and Muslims,"Ali Khan added.

Protest in India against the film have so far been low key, but several Catholic groups have threatened to stage street demonstrations and even to shut down cinema halls screening it.

One Catholic organization even called on Christians to begin a fast until death.

"Muslims in India will help their Christian brothers protest this attack on our common religious belief," vowed Ali Khan.

"The Da Vinci code" is an adaptation of author Dan Brown's bestseller by the same name that suggests that Jesus married his female disciple Mary Magdalene and had a child with her.

The 125-million-dollar movie will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday, May 17, before it is seen worldwide on Friday, May 19.

The Vatican condemns the book and the film, and has asked Christians worldwide to boycott "The Da Vinci Code".

"Very Hurt"

Dolphy D'Souza, spokesman of Bombay Catholic Sabha, said Indian Christians are "very hurt" by the planned screening.

"We will picket in front of cinema halls that show the film. We are very hurt and very angry," she said.

Muslim and Christian leaders have already met politicians and police in the western city of Mumbai, urging the authorities to stop the screening of the film.

"If the government doesn't do anything, we will try our own ways of stopping the film from being shown," Syed Noori, president of Mumbai-based Raza Academy, a Muslim cultural organization that often organizes protests on issues concerning Islam, told Reuters.

"We are prepared for violent protests in India if needed."

Last week, small groups of protesters marched in Mumbai and burned a copy of the book.

Christians form about one percent of Hindu-majority India's 1.3-billion population, while Muslims make up around 13 percent.

Muslim scholars and organizations are seeking a United Nations resolutions, backed by possible sanctions, to protect religions against blasphemy in the wake of the odious Danish cartoons that lampooned Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

Phenomenon

The explosive religious row over the movie has turned "The Da Vinci Code" into a global phenomenon that promises to make the screen version of the cult novel a major blockbuster.

As Christian churches launch theological attacks on the movie, Dan Brown's best-selling novel is still flying off shelves and generating furious debate across the world as its opponents brand it blasphemous and even "satanic."

"Religion is now and has for centuries been one of the major areas of human interest and inquiry," Robert Thompson, a media professor at the University of Syracuse in New York, told Agence France-Presse (AFP).

"Popular culture has now identified this subject matter not as something to shy away from, but as something with which it can capture an enormous audience," he said.

While the Catholic Church rarely comments on films and books it finds objectionable, some of its priests and organizations have declared open war on "The Da Vinci Code" amid fears that its plot could damage the Church's image.

The book, which has sold nearly 50 million copies, tells of an alleged conspiracy by the Catholic Church to hide for centuries the fact that Jesus Christ was a prophet, and not a god, who ultimately married Mary Magdalene and had children with her, whose descendants still survive and are venerated and protected as Christ's direct bloodline, according to AFP.

In the movie, Oscar-winning Tom Hanks takes the role of Robert Langdon, a symbologist called in when the curator of the Louvre museum is found murdered, his body splayed out in a copy of Leonardo Da Vinci's drawing "The Man of Vitruve."

Langdon, with the help of the curator's cryptologist grand-daughter Sophie Neveu played by French actress Audrey Tautou, are soon caught up in a web of intrigue, racing against time to decode symbols hidden in Da Vinci's work in a trail which takes them from Paris to London and then Scotland.

All the signs point to a centuries-old mystery supposedly covered up by a secretive Vatican-backed organization, which is ready to do anything to stop the world decipher the mystery.

Brown has been at pains to point out that the work is a fiction and merely a spring board for a discussion about Christianity.

Muslims need boycott this movie the same way we boycotted danish goods after they insulted our prophet Mohammed(pbuh) and know they are insulting our prophet Issa( pbuh) and we as muslims are supporting them, thinking that they are only insulting Catholics beliefs, when the fact is that they are insulting our beloved prophet Issa(pbuh).
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

May 18, 2006
Da Vinci code film may be banned in Jordan

May 06 2006 at 06:20PM

Amman - The head of the Jordanian Council of Churches called Saturday for the controversial film "The Da Vinci Code" to be banned from cinemas in Jordan, state news agency Petra reported.

The council's secretary general, Archbishop Hanna Nour, was quoted as saying the film "harms the image of Christ," pointing out that the book of the same title, written by American author Dan Brown, is already banned in Jordan.

It "harms Christian and Muslim religious symbols by calling into question what is written in the Gospels and the Koran on the personality of Christ," Nour said.

The film, scheduled for global release on May 19, explores the idea that Jesus Christ married Mary Magdalene, had children, and that their descendants have survived up to the present day.

It depicts a conservative Roman Catholic order, the Opus Dei, as involved in a dark plot to avoid discovery of Jesus's descendants.

The director of Jordan's audiovisual authority, Mohammed Shawabkeh, said there is a "good chance the film will be banned because of the negative reactions it is likely to provoke among Christians in Jordan."

Last week, an aide to Pope Benedict XVI called on the public to shun the movie, describing the novel as perversely anti-Christian. - Sapa-AFP
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

May 18, 2006
fayz wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Darn it! Now they're saying that the movie might not be cleared by the censors here as it's offensive to Christians - give me a figgin Kit Kat!

Damn Chrisitians, when will they learn to relax it's only an F'n movie :lol: :lol:

damn Christians? fayz, as the muslims were offended (and with a good reasons) by the Prophet's drawings scandal, so the Christians feel the same when a conspiracy(like the Vatican ppl called it) like the topic in dan brown's book is making the christians doubt "the truth" they believed in. i was baptised as an orthodox but i never felt like my religion is the right one. always felt like there were some missing points and fake stuff in the bible. i loved da vinci code( and all dan brown's books) but i do think it's normal that the Vatican or others take attitude against it1 many called ppl to boycot the movie: and as expected that means the movie will be an explosion and all will want to c it!
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 18, 2006
Lionheart, all I can say is get a life! IT'S FICTION!!!!!! Anyone with half a brain knows it's fiction! Dan Brown has interwoven fact and fiction so very well that sadly alot of people will not be able to tell the difference. It's a story - get over it and it should not be boycotted! It's upto individual choice whether you go to see it or not, even the Vatican aren't calling for it to be banned, they simply say people will know what is truth and what is not, it's just sad that you can't tell the difference between the two!

I went to what I thought was going to be a press creening yesterday for X-3, but we were told we were taken there under the pretence of that and we were actually going to be shown the Da Vinci Code - woooowwweeeee!

It was uncut - there is one scene where Silas, the Monk, kneels down to pray and he is fully naked, this will definately be cut.

The movie was excellent, obviously it cannot stick rigidly to the book as you'd be there all day, the film is 2 hours long.

Tom Hanks does a fantastic job as Robert Langdon, Audrey Tatou was a great choice for Sophie, and Jean Reno great as Bezu Fach.

There were several key moments where the hair was standing up on the back of my neck, as you get totally sucked into the story of the grail quest.

It will be release on the 31st May - if you have the intelligence to know what is real and what is not and are a fan of the book, you'll thoroughly enjoy it. If you don't have the mental capacity to cope with fact and fiction intertwined like LH, then don't bother.

It's just a movie people! Also DK's 'Damn Christinas' comment was a joke for those who can't tell the difference, we were having a cheeky debate, lighten up!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 18, 2006
I can't wait. I think I will buy the uncut pirated version also....

Would like to know what these idiot censors cut out.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 18, 2006
Liban, Like I said we saw it uncut, so it obviously hadn't been chopped by the censors yet.

The only scene that I can see them cutting is the one with Silas naked, apart from that there's nothing really that warrants chopping.

Ignore the hype and just enjoy the movie for what it is. Ron Howard has done a fantastic job. I found it strange though that there scenes between the French police are spoken obviously in French, but they've only put Arabic subtitles in, no English, but it really doesn't distract from the narrative as you get the general gist, plus if you've read the book, you'll get it anyway.

I loved it from start to finish, and I'll go see it again on general release as I too want to see what they've lopped out now I've seen the full version. - Lucky me!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 18, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I found it strange though that there scenes between the French police are spoken obviously in French, but they've only put Arabic subtitles in, no English, but it really doesn't distract from the narrative as you get the general gist, plus if you've read the book, you'll get it anyway.

Lucky me, I speak French :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 18, 2006
Ah just found out that ther version we saw yesterday is raw and hasn't had all the subtitles added yet for the French and Italian sections, but they will be in the final cut.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 19, 2006
alexandra wrote:
fayz wrote:

Damn Chrisitians, when will they learn to relax it's only an F'n movie :lol: :lol:

damn Christians? fayz, as the muslims were offended (and with a good reasons) by the Prophet's drawings scandal, so the Christians feel the same when a conspiracy(like the Vatican ppl called it)

My apologies if i offended you or christianity, that was not my intention, it was meant as a joke, (the two laughing faces at the end were a clue ;)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 19, 2006
Fayzy

No offence was taken, no need for apology buddy.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 05, 2006
Im a Roman Catholic...and bec Im so intrigued with it , its the only movie I watched in a cinema here in Dubai.... and I was smiling after the movie....the imagination of the writer is so intense! No offense taken at all.... :)
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 28, 2006
Taking the de vinci code as fiction, I really enjoyed both the book and the movie and I think tom hank did very good job.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
Liban
Liban the same way its not right to insult prophet Mohammed(pbuh), we should also not allow people to insult prophet Issa(pbuh)...

I was raised a christian, and I could really care less if Jesus of Nazareth was "insulted". Personally if Jesus really did exist, I would think that it would be a nice possibility that I am descended from Christ.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk