Thinking About Moving To Dubai.me Hubby And 4 Young Kids

Topic locked
thinking about moving to dubai.me hubby and 4 young kids Aug 09, 2007
Hi we live in scotland.Hope I have entered in right forum.
What is it,my hubby and the rest of us are thinking about relocating overseas and have thought about Dubai as a job has come up.I have heard mixed reports about Dubai for woman to live in ,can anyone whose already there tell us a bit more about daily life?thanks.eg as its muslim country do you have to stick to dress code,not allowed to show afffection in public etc.
My kids are all young.hubby and I both in early 30s.
thank you

vickiejaynem
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 09, 2007
Don't kiss in public, but you can wear anything you like in Dubai itself. Cross the city border, and you have to cover up.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 09, 2007
vick u can do anything u like in dubai as long as ur skin is wite skin n cash
by the ways u know willam wallace?
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Re: thinking about moving to dubai.me hubby and 4 young kids Aug 10, 2007
vickiejaynem wrote:Hi we live in scotland.Hope I have entered in right forum.
What is it,my hubby and the rest of us are thinking about relocating overseas and have thought about Dubai as a job has come up.I have heard mixed reports about Dubai for woman to live in ,can anyone whose already there tell us a bit more about daily life?thanks.eg as its muslim country do you have to stick to dress code,not allowed to show afffection in public etc.
thank you

My girlfriend has been wondering the same thing. We are thinking of heading to Dubai as well for work. Have you been able to find any places to live? It seems they are filled up & difficult to find. Anyhow, thought I would see how you are finding things>

Cheers,
"Hark"
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 11, 2007
you'll need a big package-- 4 kids means 4 private tuitions and a villa-- there's no such thing as a middle class lifestyle here-- you erither make the $ or give it a pass unfortunately
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:you'll need a big package-- 4 kids means 4 private tuitions and a villa-- there's no such thing as a middle class lifestyle here-- you erither make the $ or give it a pass unfortunately

What would you consider a good paying job in dubai when looking at living costs.

We are deciding on jobs as of now & it would be helpful to know what class we will be fitting in. Coming from upper middle class in America may be a big shock for my G/F.
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Re: thinking about moving to dubai.me hubby and 4 young kids Aug 11, 2007
thank you

Dubai is a difficult (expensive) place to settle and raise a family with many children. Make sure that your hubby gets really really good package.

Renting 4-5BR villa (I don't think there's 4-5BR apt) will cost you at least 200-250K/year. Then school for up to 55K/year/child (if you opt only "Westernish" school), though there are some cheaper schools which cost 15-25K/year/child. Once you can handle those two biggest expenses, the rests are just normal as you probably spent in UK.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
westside wrote:vick u can do anything u like in dubai as long as ur skin is wite skin n cash

Are suggesting there is a racism problem in Dubai?
Andy b
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 18, 2007
Andy b wrote:
westside wrote:vick u can do anything u like in dubai as long as ur skin is wite skin n cash

Are suggesting there is a racism problem in Dubai?

Westside had a problem with almost everything and everyone!
(currently 'picking on' me in 'fight club')!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: thinking about moving to dubai.me hubby and 4 young kids Aug 18, 2007
xty wrote:
thank you

Dubai is a difficult (expensive) place to settle and raise a family with many children. Make sure that your hubby gets really really good package.

Renting 4-5BR villa (I don't think there's 4-5BR apt) will cost you at least 200-250K/year. Then school for up to 55K/year/child (if you opt only "Westernish" school), though there are some cheaper schools which cost 15-25K/year/child. Once you can handle those two biggest expenses, the rests are just normal as you probably spent in UK.

Are those figures Dh?
00tony
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: thinking about moving to dubai.me hubby and 4 young kids Aug 19, 2007
00tony wrote:
xty wrote:Renting 4-5BR villa (I don't think there's 4-5BR apt) will cost you at least 200-250K/year. Then school for up to 55K/year/child (if you opt only "Westernish" school), though there are some cheaper schools which cost 15-25K/year/child. Once you can handle those two biggest expenses, the rests are just normal as you probably spent in UK.

Are those figures Dh?

Yep
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 19, 2007

Well, white people are 2nd class citizens as opposed to many others who're unfairly treated as 3rd class citizens!

To the Scottish woman who started this, unless you're a teacher and get free/ heavily discounted school fees, you'll bankrupt yourself here, it costs a lot for a good school.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum