Working On Visit Visa

Topic locked
working on visit visa Sep 17, 2006
Hi, i need one answer if you can give me....
I am European female, and am working here 2.5 months, as an executive assist. manager, but on visit visa,
i know it is not alowed, but when i came here, my company (which is very known in Dubai) told me that will apply for my employment visa immediately. after 2.5 months i am still waiting for the same, i asked them hundred times what is going on regarding that issue, and every time manager said, we dont know nothing yet, we will see, why are u in hurry, etc. etc. also admin manager refused to give me a copy of my Contract,
please can anyone help, or i must change the job, easily!
Thanks for answers!

UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 17, 2006
speak to the company PRO
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: working on visit visa Sep 17, 2006
UNME wrote:Hi, i need one answer if you can give me....
I am European female, and am working here 2.5 months, as an executive assist. manager, but on visit visa,
i know it is not alowed, but when i came here, my company (which is very known in Dubai) told me that will apply for my employment visa immediately. after 2.5 months i am still waiting for the same, i asked them hundred times what is going on regarding that issue, and every time manager said, we dont know nothing yet, we will see, why are u in hurry, etc. etc. also admin manager refused to give me a copy of my Contract,
please can anyone help, or i must change the job, easily!
Thanks for answers!

It is ILLEGAL to work on a visit visa.....There might be 2 things here. 1 the company has run out of their visa limits and hence cannot issue new visas or they are just tiding over a time when they are under staffed. I would suggest like arnie said--talk to the pro and if nothing else works look for a new job cus ur running out of ur maximum stay period also..though this also can be extended......
But on a visit visa as such you have no rights under the labour dept.
As for the contract you should have had a copy when you signed the same.
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: working on visit visa Sep 18, 2006
I know it is illegal to work on visit visa, as i already said, and i talked with PR in company, and he is giving the same answers, also he is not giving me copy of my contract, so i cant actually do anything, is it?
I cant beleive why they are doing like that, i am not the only case, and i thought as it is good company i will not have such problems, but i was wrong, as i can see!
I really dont know what to do! huh
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

UNME wrote:I know it is illegal to work on visit visa, as i already said, and i talked with PR in company, and he is giving the same answers, also he is not giving me copy of my contract, so i cant actually do anything, is it?

You can always do something.

I cant beleive why they are doing like that, i am not the only case, and i thought as it is good company i will not have such problems, but i was wrong, as i can see!

Obviously they're not such a good company? When I signed my contract, there were 3 copies. One for me, one for the employer, and a copy for the Labour Ministry.

How many copies did you sign? Did you even sign a contract?

Explain to them that you need answers as you are deeply concerned and that if you don't see something positive within 48 hours you will contact the Ministry of Labour. It is a minimum of 10,000 dh fine for illegally employing someone I believe, so that might make them take notice.

FWIW, I work for a prominent company in Dubai and it took them nearly 3 months to organise my visa. Not out of anything but sheer laziness.
^ian^

UNME wrote:I know it is illegal to work on visit visa, as i already said, and i talked with PR in company, and he is giving the same answers, also he is not giving me copy of my contract, so i cant actually do anything, is it?

It is a rather unfortunate fact of life here, that when you are working for a company during your probation period and before they actually process your Work Permit / Residence Permit, you are illegaly working and they are illegaly employing you. However it is very difficult to approach any government department, because you do not actually have a labour contract.
It of course depends on the Company you are working for. You should maybe ask around some of your workmates and find out if this is the norm and if you should be concerned.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2006
If you dont like the answers that you'll get from the PRO and or the company, you better put yourself out there and be pouch, your on visit visa anyway :wink: . Hope your holding your passport :roll: .

You can try the online site, recruitment agencies, or secretly invade your company list of contact's addresses and send them your CV :lol: .
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 18, 2006
This is the best option to change the job, as am fed up of asking for my rights.
And also, i signed the contract immediately, when i came here, but only one copy, not 2 or 3... and they refused to give me one from the reason only they know... as they just said you will get it when we apply for your employment visa, and it had to be 5 weeks from the day of signature, not i am here more than 2.5 months and nothing is happening... just i cant get any information.... they are like angry why i asked ... or something like that...
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 18, 2006
At least i have my passport with myself .... so if i leave, they cant do anything to me? i realy hope so
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 18, 2006
UNME wrote:At least i have my passport with myself .... so if i leave, they cant do anything to me? i realy hope so

Nope, they can't do anything as they haven't issued the Visa.

Have you had your medical?
^ian^

Sep 18, 2006
Hey, you are on visit visa, and you are working for 2.5 months already... approx more than 60 days, I believe...

If you dont have any info about your resident visa, provided that your passport is with you.... no way they can apply for your residence visa, I guess...

I'm afraid you are overstaying now, cos visit visa is good for 60 days from the date of entry.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 18, 2006
weary_heart wrote:Hey, you are on visit visa, and you are working for 2.5 months already... approx more than 60 days, I believe...

If you dont have any info about your resident visa, provided that your passport is with you.... no way they can apply for your residence visa, I guess...

I'm afraid you are overstaying now, cos visit visa is good for 60 days from the date of entry.

Yes and it can be extendet for one month more, so it is all together 90 days, but this is my second visit visa here... and this one is extended till mid of October.

Ya, i will better go for another job... i've information that it takes 3 weeks for getting employment visa.... so i still have time one week to find another job ... wish me luck...
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 18, 2006
UNME wrote:
weary_heart wrote:Hey, you are on visit visa, and you are working for 2.5 months already... approx more than 60 days, I believe...

Yes and it can be extendet for one month more, so it is all together 90 days, but this is my second visit visa here... and this one is extended till mid of October.

Ya, i will better go for another job... i've information that it takes 3 weeks for getting employment visa.... so i still have time one week to find another job ... wish me luck...

As a matter of interest, the contract that you signed was it in Arabic??

If not then you have no contract, because the official contract to be submitted to Labour & Immigration must be in Arabic.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2006
UNME wrote:

couldnt you just go to oman and come back...then you would have longer time, just in case
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
UNME wrote:

couldnt you just go to oman and come back...then you would have longer time, just in case

Good advice,

just get your visa extended for another 2 months
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2006
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10735

look at this link, this is what the real deal labour contract looks like, if you signed something else then it is not a contact. there are 3 copies of the this contract presented to you, you have to sign each copy - they cannot submit copies of the document - 3 originals!

if you haven't signed one then i feel they are taking advantage of you - quiet rightly as one of the previous postings said, either they want to "test drive your skills" (even though you will still have to do probation if they were happy with you), or they can't get any more staff on their company labour card or possibly just trying to fill the gap left by someone who is on vaction.

look for another job, if this is the type of treatement they are dishing out to a "prospective/ new" employee then this should be a warning of things to come. at the end of the month after you have recieved your dues, tell them you won't be back - even better set up a whole lot of appointments for your boss and then don't turn up for work on saterday morning.

if you don't have a contact you don't owe them any loyalty what-so-ever!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 19, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10735

look at this link, this is what the real deal labour contract looks like, if you signed something else then it is not a contact. there are 3 copies of the this contract presented to you, you have to sign each copy - they cannot submit copies of the document - 3 originals!

if you haven't signed one then i feel they are taking advantage of you - quiet rightly as one of the previous postings said, either they want to "test drive your skills" (even though you will still have to do probation if they were happy with you), or they can't get any more staff on their company labour card or possibly just trying to fill the gap left by someone who is on vaction.

look for another job, if this is the type of treatement they are dishing out to a "prospective/ new" employee then this should be a warning of things to come. at the end of the month after you have recieved your dues, tell them you won't be back - even better set up a whole lot of appointments for your boss and then don't turn up for work on saterday morning.

if you don't have a contact you don't owe them any loyalty what-so-ever!

YOU KNOW WHAT??
That is what i was thinking to do... just to wait till the end of the month till i dont get sallary... and next day just dont come to work, as i signed only one copy of document "Contract" which is not translated in arabic... and that one copy is only for them... just in case if someone come here for inspection that they can say that we have a contract and that they will apply for a visa, as soon as possible... and also they are not giving me one copy so i cant sue them or something esle... as they didnt apply for it...
i am not going to ask even once for what is going on with my visa... am really fed up of asking,
i will just leave... as u said... u just confirmed my thoughts... and thanks everyone here for answers....
as if i have to chase them for my visa... i dont know what am i doing in such company...
i will go for something else... as i dont have to much time for it... just till mid of October....
WISH ME LUCK!!!

Thanks everyone.... i wish u never have such problems.....
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 19, 2006
Good Luck

Don't forget to post the company name here once you come out from it.
Will help others to know about that company.
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2007
Hi, i have signed an appointment letter for a company in JAFZ. I started 2 days ago and when i go to the office my boss tells me that they will not issue any visa for me, instead they want to send me to Germany for an expo and when i get back my visit visa will be 60 days again (now my current visit visa expires on the 16th of March).
They have offered me 7000 AED/month -all inclusive-and they said i will have also commision (in the letter nothing is mentioned though!!!). I didn't signed any contract and i'm very frustrated since i have the feeling that they're looking for "victims" and not for employees that would be loyal and hardworking.
I believe if i decide to leave them nothing will happen to me, right? (no actions can be taken from them i mean)

The position is Regional Sales Manager, after 13 years of experience in the Information Technology i think this is not good money for me.

Share your thoughts and comments boys & gals :)
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 13, 2007
7000 is a rude offer to the position you mentioned. (esp, it's all inclusive?) you'll barely get a decent lifestyle with that amount of money. plus if you have a family, no way man that it'll be enough.

And if you work with visit visa, once you leave - nothing they can do.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 14, 2007
Lousy offer, make sure you retain your passport, nothing they can do to you all the time you are on Visit Visa, it's simple, you are breaking the law by working on a VV, they are also breaking the law by employing you on VV.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 23, 2007
Hey, dont work for 7000 as Regional Sales whatever, i was earning that much money working last year, as receptionist in one company, so dont be crazy and accept all these.... Now am PA of Director in one good Company and i will not tell you how much i am getting but with 7000 you really cant do anything, i think you can find something better.... DONT ACCEPT, and tell them that you dont want to work on visit as this is forbiden by law, and they will pay high fine, and you will be deported....
UNME
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 23, 2007
UNME wrote:Hey, dont work for 7000 as Regional Sales whatever, i was earning that much money working last year, as receptionist in one company, so dont be crazy and accept all these.... Now am PA of Director in one good Company and i will not tell you how much i am getting but with 7000 you really cant do anything, i think you can find something better.... DONT ACCEPT, and tell them that you dont want to work on visit as this is forbiden by law, and they will pay high fine, and you will be deported....

I already did that, i have another offer from another company, they're giving me car,house and 7000 AED/month salary. They said about a bonus at the end of the year. The position is Sales Manager. I'm thinking because most of the salary usually goes to rent, if i don't have to pay rent i believe it might be a good money to start with. Afterall i need the experience of the UAE market and i'm sure after 2-3 years i can get a far better salary. At least that's my opinion....
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 23, 2007
Greekman wrote:
UNME wrote:Hey, dont work for 7000 as Regional Sales whatever, i was earning that much money working last year, as receptionist in one company, so dont be crazy and accept all these.... Now am PA of Director in one good Company and i will not tell you how much i am getting but with 7000 you really cant do anything, i think you can find something better.... DONT ACCEPT, and tell them that you dont want to work on visit as this is forbiden by law, and they will pay high fine, and you will be deported....

I already did that, i have another offer from another company, they're giving me car,house and 7000 AED/month salary. They said about a bonus at the end of the year. The position is Sales Manager. I'm thinking because most of the salary usually goes to rent, if i don't have to pay rent i believe it might be a good money to start with. Afterall i need the experience of the UAE market and i'm sure after 2-3 years i can get a far better salary. At least that's my opinion....

make sure that they define the "housing" part in the contract to your satisfaction... otherwise you might end up in sharjah...
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 23, 2007
Globetrotter wrote:
Greekman wrote:

make sure that they define the "housing" part in the contract to your satisfaction... otherwise you might end up in sharjah...

Thanks, I will ;D
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum