Probation Period Of Six Months.

Topic locked
Probation period of six months. Oct 24, 2008
I received a job offer, it mentions the folowing:

You will be under a probation period of six months effective the date you join

Does this mean that I can quit the contract the first six months without any consequences? Or does this not benefit me, but only benefits the company?

Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 25, 2008
No. Both can revoke the contract without any consequences. U'll find an art stating that in ur work contract whenever you sign it.
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 25, 2008
OK thanks.

It won't result in a work ban or anything?
Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 26, 2008
No. Like it never happened :)
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 28, 2008
Probation can be any period of time, but by law must not exceed 6 months. With regards to termination of the contract… well that’s a different storey. If the contract is broken during the probation period by either the employer or the employee the ban is still effected!

Unfortunately the probation legislation offers a loophole to unscrupulous employers, as your benefits (leave, gratuity etc.) only start to accumulate after the successful completion of the probation period – this means that if your were terminated just before the probation period expired then you would receive no benefits and would also be banned for 6 months.

I would suggest that if you have not already signed your contract ask the employer to be reasonable regarding the probation period and drop it to 3 months (which is really the accepted norm). If they refuse, then be wary.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

probation Oct 23, 2009
dbxsoul wrote:Probation can be any period of time, but by law must not exceed 6 months. With regards to termination of the contract… well that’s a different storey. If the contract is broken during the probation period by either the employer or the employee the ban is still effected!

Unfortunately the probation legislation offers a loophole to unscrupulous employers, as your benefits (leave, gratuity etc.) only start to accumulate after the successful completion of the probation period – this means that if your were terminated just before the probation period expired then you would receive no benefits and would also be banned for 6 months.

I would suggest that if you have not already signed your contract ask the employer to be reasonable regarding the probation period and drop it to 3 months (which is really the accepted norm). If they refuse, then be wary.

Hi , in my case the contract says its 6 months probation and now i have almost 5.5 months completed .Nw the employer is asking me to sign on a piece of paper which says probation extended by 3 more months due to my poor performance and in case if they terminate me then i have to bear the visa expense and all other related expenses . Moreover they are asking me to sign on a new appointment letter which is predated to my date of joining which says i will bear the costs of my visa etc on termination , while my original appointment letter or labour contract doesnt have anything mentioned on it . Need your advise , pls help ..
lechu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 23, 2009
answered this question on your alternative posting.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai