Are Unmarried Mothers Welcome To Live In Dubai?

Topic locked
Are unmarried mothers welcome to live in Dubai? Apr 19, 2006
We will be moving to Dubai later in the year but we have a question. My husband and I have our adult daughter and her baby living with us and of course we would want this arrangement to continue when we move. Can anyone tell me if this would be ok with the authorities in Dubai? Or is an unmarried mother not allowed to enter Dubai to live with her parents? We know that having a child out of wedlock is a big no no in Dubai.

Also, if there would be no problem having our daughter and grandson living with us, would she be able to look for work in Dubai on a part time basis?

Any info. you can throw our way is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

aussielot
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting predicament, I think it’s quiet a bit of a mine field actually!

I’m going to include the original text of the regulation governing “sponsoring”. While it does not cover your situation, it does define what would be acceptable.

Your husband will sponsor you and any children. He will be asked to provide a copy of his marriage licence to prove that you are his wife, he will also be asked to provide the birth certificates (as well as passports) of your children.

If you read through the text of the resolution provided you will see that as your daughter is unmarried she would (technically) be allowed to be sponsored by your husband as a family member, though practically they may take her age into account.

Your daughter and grandson could of course visit you on a visit visa, long enough for her to find her own employment, and thus sponsor her son. I’m not sure of the implications of her sponsoring your grandson, I’ve personally not met any unmarried mothers who are sponsoring their children here – I feel that they would take exception to this due to the moral issues that it raises. There are obviously exceptions like divorcees and widowers with children; this I know is taken into account when allowing them to sponsor a child – although this would need to be backed up with the relevant papers.

I don’t think my posting will give you a definitive answer to your question, but may help to understand the process a little.

“Resolution 9 of 1995 concerning organizing and bringing in of family members and servants by foreign manpower” (in short sponsoring)

Article 1

“An expatriate may sponsor and bring his family members, if his monthly salary is not less than three thousand (3000) Dirhams and if his employer provides him with accommodation or four thousand (4000) Dirhams if his employer does not provide him with accommodation. Proof of salary may be established by and official certificate duly attested by the State’s concerned authorities.”

The word “family” means one’s wife, male sons up to the age of 18, and unmarried daughters.

(Not included are students enrolled in ate Universities and higher institutions)”

Note: Foreign students studying at local institutions are issued Student Visas.

Article 5

“The following categories may not sponsor and bring in their families, even if the salry condition has been fulfilled:-

• Domestic workers and those in similar professions.
• Labourers and those in similar profession.”

Note: I have omitted clauses 2 through 4 as well as 6 through 12, as they have no bearing on the question.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

follow-up Apr 19, 2006
actually i have just thought of something.... just a suggestion though

if you are planning to move here and intend to stay a while, and your daughter the same. it may be worth looking at yourself and your husband legally adopting your grandson... albeit a piece of paper, as his legal gardians you may be able to sponsor him without to much of a problem ...

just a thought
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Apr 19, 2006
Someone I know came to Dubai as a single mum and has had no issues whatsoever.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 19, 2006
A small addition to your post if i may Dxbsoul

Dont quote me but i believe there are now age limits for children to be sponsored. The rules i beleive have been tightened up due to the fact that Indians were buying property and sponsoring their 35 alledged children :shock: :shock:

Male 18

Female Married 18 Single 21

Aussie, if your daughter is over 21, i believe your husband cannot sponsor her. She will only be able to travel to DXB on a visit visa.

Chocs, the rules regarding residency sponsorship is different for families than it is for someone who has a sponsor in their own right (other than family).
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 20, 2006
Thank you so much for all the replies! Our daughter is 24 so it sounds like my husband couldnt sponsor her or our grandson. Not sure how we could "adopt" our grandson either. How would one do that? Im not sure that we would like to take our grandson away from our daughter. That would be something that would be binding forever wouldnt it?

If our daughter could gain employment in Dubai she, and her son, could then be sponsored by her employer, is that right? Would she have trouble finding an employer as she is a single mother? And would that employer sponsor her son?

Would she find it hard being accepted in Dubai because she is a single mother? Its beginning to sound like she may be ostracised due to her status, in Dubai.

We are planning to stay for 3-5 years. How long could she stay on only a visiting visa if we chose that way?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is one issue we need to clear up before we progress much further with our plans.

Thanks again :)
aussielot
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 20, 2006
aussielot wrote:Thank you so much for all the replies! Our daughter is 24 so it sounds like my husband couldnt sponsor her or our grandson. Not sure how we could "adopt" our grandson either. How would one do that? Im not sure that we would like to take our grandson away from our daughter. That would be something that would be binding forever wouldnt it?

If our daughter could gain employment in Dubai she, and her son, could then be sponsored by her employer, is that right? Would she have trouble finding an employer as she is a single mother? And would that employer sponsor her son?

Would she find it hard being accepted in Dubai because she is a single mother? Its beginning to sound like she may be ostracised due to her status, in Dubai.

We are planning to stay for 3-5 years. How long could she stay on only a visiting visa if we chose that way?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is one issue we need to clear up before we progress much further with our plans.

Thanks again :)

i just checked with our pro. i had a similar situation when my sister wanted to move to quatar as the rules are similar there.
if your daughter is unmarried and has not married and divorced (or is widowed), she would not be allowed to sponsor her child as the child is not recoginsed union of a marrige (by Muslim definition) - out of wedlock.

you are right, if she was to be employed by a company in the uae, they sponsor her, but she in turn would have to sponsor her family members; the same applies to your husband, his employer sponsors him and not the family - this he has to do in his own right.

you will see, even things like opening a seperate bank account (while under the sponsorship of your husband) would require a letter from your husband as he is actually your sponsor and responsible for your actions while you are resident here.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Apr 20, 2006
Aussie

Your daughter would have to do a "visa" run every 60 days. This would be ok in the short term, but immigration would pick it up over a long period.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 20, 2006
i know a single mum too and living with her mum, very similar to your situation. i am not exactly sure of the details of the situation but i am pretty sure its all legal.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum