JESS School. Advice Wanted.

Topic locked
JESS School. Advice wanted. Mar 11, 2006
I have been recommended by my employer to put my children in JESS. I understand it is a english speaking school. My daughter is 5 and my son is 3. Can anyone who has children or know people who have kids at this school please let me know what it is like. How many children in each class and is it a good school.
I would really appriciate any help / advice.

Thanks in advance.

ritzish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 11, 2006
What does JESS stand for?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 11, 2006
JESS stands for Jumeriah English Speaking School. I think!
ritzish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 11, 2006
Try www.expatwoman.com simply because it has a lot of mums that visit the site-doing a search will give you some valuable info. I have been to the School and it has nice grounds and facilities-I assume your company has debentures?Never heard anything but good things about the school.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2006
I contacted JESS. Admission seems to be very competitive and they give priority to English citizens. I also heard it is one of the best schools for Westerners. Also check out International School of Choueifat. I was adviced "if you are after academic rigor and want your children to go to Harvard, MIT and Cambridge, send your kids to Choufeifat" !
Nav
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 12, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I will find out more info about this school. Thans once again
ritzish
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 12, 2006
Don't be put off-nearly all schools have a policy which states that UK passport holders are given priority. Also be aware that there are plenty of schools to choose from and where you live will probably determine the school or vice-versa. I'd just check up about the debentures.Also be aware that your kids will require their immunisations to be up to date according to the schedule here-this means they need a BCG (tuberculosis shot, which by the way will have to be done in advance due to the mantoux test) and a tetanus shot in the last five years (double check this info. but this is my understanding) and they will also need a transfer certificate from their current school basically saying that they have passed their current year level and have been promoted to the next.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2006
hepatitis as well
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Mar 22, 2006
What is a mantoux test?
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2006
leighbutler
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 15, 2006
ritzish wrote:I have been recommended by my employer to put my children in JESS. I understand it is a english speaking school. My daughter is 5 and my son is 3. Can anyone who has children or know people who have kids at this school please let me know what it is like. How many children in each class and is it a good school.
I would really appriciate any help / advice.

Thanks in advance.

JESS has a good reputation. Class sizes are probably about 20.

Nav wrote:I contacted JESS. Admission seems to be very competitive and they give priority to English citizens. I also heard it is one of the best schools for Westerners. Also check out International School of Choueifat. I was adviced "if you are after academic rigor and want your children to go to Harvard, MIT and Cambridge, send your kids to Choufeifat" !

Chouiefat = Academic rigour. Quite. They give weekly exams to kindergarten students. It's not for everyone so make further enquiries before deciding on them.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 15, 2006
I heard that Choueifait gives a lot of tests, but it doesn't necessarily mean quality instruction or quality content.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum