Topic locked

Will you use Salik?

I will buy and use Salik
54%
I will NOT buy or use Salik
8%
I do not need Salik
23%
I'm connected Habiby... I won't be buying anything.
15%

Total votes : 26

Will you Salik? Jun 12, 2007
So not long now until the new toll! 1st of July.

What will you do?

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 12, 2007
the other roads will be a nightmare to drive on, the traffic situation is gonna worsen.

People are already trying alternate routes and as a result the Maktoum bridge is blocked in evenings. for the three days in last week it took me 1.5 hrs to reach rigga road from burjuman, when it normally used to take 15 mins.

its gonna suCK big time
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
It is certainly going to mess up some of the roads in Dubai, I can't see it being that great a move... but you know... maybe they know something we don't.
^ian^

Jun 12, 2007
yea like people being fed up and leaving Dubai for good :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
^ian^ wrote:It is certainly going to mess up some of the roads in Dubai, I can't see it being that great a move... but you know... maybe they know something we don't.

I don't think they know. There is even some dispute between RTA and the Police regarding Salik?

It's a bad idea with the present infrastructure - 8 dirhams a day wont be a deterant for most people = 160 dirhams per month.

I won't be taking any alternate routes. The time to take the detour won't be worth it.

Once the metro is in operation, and all the other roads and bridges are completed then perhaps it would help.

My prediction: they will stop Salik as of January 1, 2008 (if they start it that is).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
Concord wrote:It's a bad idea with the present infrastructure - 8 dirhams a day wont be a deterant for most people = 160 dirhams per month.

8 dirhams? Try 16 Dirhams or more for a lot of people - or more likely the majority of people.
^ian^

Jun 12, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:It's a bad idea with the present infrastructure - 8 dirhams a day wont be a deterant for most people = 160 dirhams per month.

8 dirhams? Try 16 Dirhams or more for a lot of people - or more likely the majority of people.

You are right I forgot the Deira/sharjah to Jebel Ali journey that a lot of people make (and for which the alternative route will add another hour).

They need fast ferry boats to Jebel Ali port!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
dah! i will swim.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 12, 2007
I will only use Salik when on my mustang. That car to be known as "mustang salik'.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
Concord wrote:I will only use Salik when on my mustang. That car to be known as "mustang salik'.

You could record a parody song "Must I salik!"

"All you wanna do is fine, Salik fine."
"All you wanna do ... if fine, Salik fine."
^ian^

Jun 12, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:I will only use Salik when on my mustang. That car to be known as "mustang salik'.

You could record a parody song "Must I salik!"

"All you wanna do is fine, Salik fine."
"All you wanna do ... if fine, Salik fine."

I'm afraid of using the word "fine" in the same sentence as "salik" in order not to jinx it as I plan on testing it by going 180 kmh under the toll gates to see how they work!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2007
ouch this hurts.those idiots at rta chose the name as salik which is my name !!! according to them it means clear but islamically it means follower of the spiritual path.why my name out of all ??? :(
ksalik
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 12, 2007
ksalik wrote:ouch this hurts.those idiots at rta chose the name as salik which is my name !!! according to them it means clear but islamically it means follower of the spiritual path.why my name out of all ??? :(

Wez blame youz.

Kthx.
^ian^

Jun 12, 2007
Concord wrote:I'm afraid of using the word "fine" in the same sentence as "salik" in order not to jinx it as I plan on testing it by going 180 kmh under the toll gates to see how they work!

umm 180kmh and you will get a ticket, 180Mph and you might get away.
anybody seen the episode of top gear where they test the speed cameras? 180mph and the camera did not even detect the car, lol
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 12, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:
Concord wrote:I'm afraid of using the word "fine" in the same sentence as "salik" in order not to jinx it as I plan on testing it by going 180 kmh under the toll gates to see how they work!

anybody seen the episode of top gear where they test the speed cameras? 180mph and the camera did not even detect the car, lol

Not many cars can do 288 kph....
^ian^

Jun 12, 2007
Don't see as we have much of a choice, already purchased and fixed in the appropriate place.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 13, 2007
To be honest, they should have waited until the floating bridge was completed, to at least help a bit, plus the new Garhoud bridge.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
cheap_Deal wrote:

Not many cars can do 288 kph....

and try that at the toll check, i would be surprised during traffic hours if u can do a 10kmph
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:

lol i seen that one.. that was awesome :P
kashif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007
First post :D
So the toll will run 24hr right... what kind of traffic on Garhoud at 3am?
I had to buy the 'sucka kit' for 100Dhs as well. 700,000 registered vehicles in Dubai x 100 = 7mil and it did not start yet!
Spica
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 13, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:umm 180kmh and you will get a ticket, 180Mph and you might get away.

That story has been around Dubai for years. It may not be so true now - I thought another UK test was done (TG again?) and you needed 400 kph + or something insane.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 13, 2007
Spica wrote:First post :D
So the toll will run 24hr right... what kind of traffic on Garhoud at 3am?
I had to buy the 'sucka kit' for 100Dhs as well. 700,000 registered vehicles in Dubai x 100 = 7mil and it did not start yet!

How about 70,000,000 Million (you wer off by 63M)!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 13, 2007
i will buy it but use it only when needed too.
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 13, 2007
any idea how it will affect taxi prices??
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 13, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 14, 2007
M! wrote:from another forum

"chatting with one of our hard workin underpaid taxi drivers - he informs me that all taxi's will have a salik tag but won't be charged as they (zeee taxiiis) are linked to the RTA - however the meters are going to be programmed to pick up the charge and automatically add it to zzzeeee fare for us underworked and overpaid passengers to pay.

Go RTA thats really addressing the issue of congestion"

:twisted:

thats loved up.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 14, 2007
gayest idea EVAR !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 14, 2007
salik will start with those two locations and then more tolls will be added accordingly.

welcome to dubai have a ............... day

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Jun 14, 2007
maybe i could buy a taxi??? i could be a 'part time' taxi driver with no customers when i drive to work and back...
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 15, 2007
ksalik wrote:ouch this hurts.those idiots at rta chose the name as salik which is my name !!! according to them it means clear but islamically it means follower of the spiritual path.why my name out of all ??? :(

It's a cool name don't you think?
Salik
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat