Religious Violence - NY

Topic locked
Religious violence - NY Jun 11, 2011
There's a community in New York state (a place called New Square, one hour north of Times Square) which segregates men from women, the women aren't allowed to drive or walk on the same side of the street as the men. This is a highly religious community, but one where recently there has been some serious outbreaks of violence within the community - with one member almost dying in an arson attack!

Fascinating insight into a religious community in the USA in the 21st century:

http://forward.com/articles/138472/

and

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=8147359

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Religious Violence - NY Jun 11, 2011
Weird eh ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Religious violence - NY Jun 11, 2011
I couldn't be bothered to read it. Are they Muslims?
Bethsmum

Re: Religious violence - NY Jun 11, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:I couldn't be bothered to read it. Are they Muslims?

then don't post on it :?
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Don't worry about it mahmoud. Its called mouth in foot syndrome ot otherwise know as Muslim tourrettes. She suffers badly from it ! :D
desertdudeshj

Shaf, obviously you are not familiar with New York STATE as the community is in Rockland County - far from New York City. There are small towns throughout Rockland County. You can also find Quaker communities throughout New York STATE. Interesting to note that although the community grew from 4,000 to 7,000 over the years, quite a few of them left due to the strictness.

How is this any different from Sunni fighting/attacking Shite and vice versa, except that these incidents are few in number??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thats what shaf said. New York STATE and not NYC right ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Thats what shaf said. New York STATE and not NYC right ?

Yes he said NY state, but Times Square is in New York City, which is no where near Rockland County, which is like going to the country. These communities are quite secluded. I don't know why the author of the article thought it relevant, as well as Shaf. Apples (New York City) and oranges (Rockland County).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Article did say an hour north of Time Square or as google says about 10 miles north of Manhattan ( Hey call me curious :) ). Thats less than Dubai Marina to Sharjah distance.
desertdudeshj

Re: Religious Violence - NY Jun 12, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:Article did say an hour north of Time Square or as google says about 10 miles north of Manhattan ( Hey call me curious :) ). Thats less than Dubai Marina to Sharjah distance.

Keep it in your comfort zone munchkin. Google is wonderful but it gives you big ideas :D I don't think they'll accept you anytime soon. So many taxi drivers So little time LOL
Bethsmum

so if it was 400 miles away "Times Square" would that make things different...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

It is an interesting story about a religious community which segregates women and has been in the news because of violence.

Some people have commented on the story, others have chosen to criticise me for stating the fact that the community is in New York State, about an hour's drive from Times Square (which is how one of the linked article described the town). :roll:

Talk about 'shooting the messenger'!

What is surprising is that I haven't been accused of being an anti-semite for highlighting segragationalist policies in this community! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:It is an interesting story about a religious community which segregates women and has been in the news because of violence.

Some people have commented on the story, others have chosen to criticise me for stating the fact that the community is in New York State, about an hour's drive from Times Square (which is how one of the linked article described the town). :roll:

Talk about 'shooting the messenger'!

What is surprising is that I haven't been accused of being an anti-semite for highlighting segragationalist policies in this community! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique

You also didn't explain how is it any different as to Muslims attacking Muslims. (Clue: Shite and Sunni) Seeing as we all know where you are coming from why the need to point out the obvious to you Shaf. ALL you posts are either to take a jab at Jews, or worse, or praise Islam.

I don't know why you had to "highlight" the distance between NYC and Rockland County. Generally posters will give excerpts and point out something interesting that have relevance to the article, and I don't see what the relevance is :? . Possibly you and the author were thinking: look how close it is to the "Big City". Why not mention that the Statute of Liberty is at the opposite end of Manhattan island?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I don't think I mentioned any religion at all.

Why is this now about me? I didn't set anyone on fire. I did use the distance from Times Square, because that is what the journalist chose to give.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:I don't think I mentioned any religion at all.

Why is this now about me? I didn't set anyone on fire.

Cheers,
Shafique

No you didn't mention religion. You didn't have to. Your article/post says it all -- it's about Jews!!! or did you miss that??

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, wait! You thought you could pull a fast one and it would be noticed that you didn't actually "mention" Jews. Gotcha!!! :wink: What was the article about?? Oh, yeah, Jews!!!

Shaf, you would garner some respect if you just owed up to the fact that you have issues (not good ones I may add) with Jews. (No need to admit to being anti-semitic. :wink: )
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Huh?

Again, why is this now about me?

If someone posted a similar story about a different religious community in the US (or elsewhere) - would the comments be focused on the story or on the one posting the story?

Nothing I've posted is contentious/misleading/untrue, is it?

The story is about a community who segregates men and women, forbid women to drive etc - and is in the USA. As DDS said, 'weird'.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Pretty much like Saudi Arabia huh??

The beauty of America: feel free to practice your religion!!!! The way they practice is kept amongst themselves. So why is that weird?

You have Muslim communities spread around the US where Islam is practiced to the fullest. Non-Muslim Americans think it weird when they see a woman covered head to toe, gloves on, head covered that the only thing revealed are the eyes, not so when they wear sunglasses and is 95 degrees. I will say this: some of those women tend to emit a very offensive odor in the summer. Their hygiene leaves alot to be desired all year round, but the summer only heightens it!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Religious violence - NY Jun 12, 2011
"Jewish Talibanistas" lol :D :mrgreen: talibans will be happy their name has a "spanish" flavour now!! :D

so on a serious note, when can we expect USA, NATO to attack them? 8) can we expect a UN resolution soon :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Religious Violence - NY Jun 13, 2011
:D

No rudeboy - it is ok for women to be segregated and not allowed to drive when it happens in NY. Then it is all hunky dory.. or am I missing something??

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums