Gulf Specs

Topic locked
Gulf specs Feb 08, 2006
Looking at many of the car ads here I keep seeing references to "Gulf specs," but I don't know what that means.

Although I did try an Internet search, I couldn't find the answer. And, I don't want to ask a car dealer about something that seems so basic to the car market in Dubai.

I assume that Gulf specs refers to specifications for cars in the UAE and other GCC countries, but what exactly does that involve?

OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 08, 2006
It means the air con is uprated and the dash is of a more durable material so the sun doesn't damage it. I'm sure theres more, theres others that will know and post more.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

gulf specs Feb 08, 2006
gulf specs is to do with the physical aspects of the vehicle operating in a much harsher environment than it was originally designed for.

better air filers to handle the dust.

engines have a much higher tolerance to high temperature than european models - use coolant in the radiator - never water alone!

one of the more endearing little features is a audio alarm that sounds when you travel over 120km/h - although with a little ingenuity or loud music you can either disconnect or ignore it.

indicator lights are optional :lol:

again... as per arnie .... i'm sure there are more ...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 08, 2006
indicator lights are optional

:lol: It amazes me that one can buy a top of the range car eg Ferrari, Hummer but cannot afford to purchase some of the optional extras like indicators. :lol:
You can get antirust treatments on cars but I don't know if that is a gulf spec.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2006
The thermostat is calibrated differently for Gulf spec cars.

Also, dunno what you mean by anti-rust GAB... We don't need rust proofing here unless you drive your SUV in the ocean :lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: gulf specs Feb 08, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:gulf specs is to do with the physical aspects of the vehicle operating in a much harsher environment than it was originally designed for.

better air filers to handle the dust.

engines have a much higher tolerance to high temperature than european models - use coolant in the radiator - never water alone!

one of the more endearing little features is a audio alarm that sounds when you travel over 120km/h - although with a little ingenuity or loud music you can either disconnect or ignore it.

indicator lights are optional :lol:

again... as per arnie .... i'm sure there are more ...

nice one DXB,

so are brakes optional also ? as is stop/tail lights

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Feb 08, 2006
ohhhh someat Liban said about rust.

I heard somewhere that although the rain isn't a problem rust wise, isn't the high humidity damaging to cars?

dunno, someat i either read or heard
arniegang

Feb 08, 2006
High humidity in itself can lead to corrosion of wires of the car's electrical system over time.

It will not lead to body/surface rust on a vehicule that is not damaged. A damaged car with bare metal will be subject to corrosion over a long period of exposed time....

Other than that, cars can last many many years here without body rust and provided proper maintenance schedule is followed.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
Liban- they stick tar-like goo under the underneath of the car. If you drive your car on the sand (and we do go into the water a bit) you need it-plus we are in a coastal area. So salt content in the sand and air is a prob.-chemistry and all.

so are brakes optional also
Hmmm... me thinks you are taking the mickey!! Arnie- I must tell you the story about that incident it turned out to be a nightmare! :shock:

It brings up a whole other point about re-registering your car here too. They are extremely thorough.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 09, 2006
GAB wrote:Liban- they stick tar-like goo under the underneath of the car.

That's already applied from factory. Putting more on there doesn't do much except make your car heavier and cut out .01 decibel.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
GAB wrote:Liban- they stick tar-like goo under the underneath of the car. If you drive your car on the sand (and we do go into the water a bit) you need it-plus we are in a coastal area. So salt content in the sand and air is a prob.-chemistry and all.

The tar content is nothing more than sound deadening and bottom protection. It is not rust proofing.

All cars are made from galvanised steel these days and this type of material effective in rust fighting.

I worked in the automotive business, so I know my cars :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
i heard you get a shisha in the glove box too :P
richmc
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2006
As some would know I just drive 'em and crash 'em. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 11, 2006
basically, Gulf spec are the best world wide, they would work effectively in africa " +40 cls or north pole Canada -40"
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 11, 2006
GAB wrote:As some would know I just drive 'em and crash 'em. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are a woman Gab - end of........ :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Feb 11, 2006
AD__REP wrote:basically, Gulf spec are the best world wide, they would work effectively in africa " +40 cls or north pole Canada -40"

I have seen Gulf Specs.... They will not work in Canada. No way what-so-ever!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 11, 2006
Arnie-I must show you the drive thru' photos :shock: Now there is something anyone could be proud of! Only in Dubai do you get the real thing withhout it being some doctored net photo! :shock: :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum