Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists

Topic locked
Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 24, 2011
The stats are in for Terrorist acts in the EU as documented by EU police forces in the latest report from Europol.

The facts show - less than 1% of terrorist attacks carried out by Muslims/Jihadists and that of those, none resulted in any deaths. (And as highlighted below, this directly counters the resident loon's favourite argument when faced with these statistics).

Europol tracks terrorist attacks in the European Union and publishes the data in an annual report entitled EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report (TE-SAT). The first such report was for the year 2006 and the most recently released one was for 2010. Going through the data, I noted in my previous article that less than 1% of terrorist attacks on European soil were committed by Muslims.
http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/updated-europol-data-less-than-1-of-terrorist-attacks-by-muslims/

Anti-Muslim bigots were naturally very upset with these findings, and offered a couple flimsy counter-responses. The most popular one was some variation of the following snarky remark:
Perhaps ‘scale’ rather than ‘quantity’ is the real issue here?
But, is it?

I went back through the data, which revealed the following conclusion: there were zero deaths from Islamist terrorism for every single year the Europol reports were published, a span of five years.
Here is the data (all quotes are taken directly from that year’s Europol terrorism report):
In 2006, there were no successful terrorist attacks by Muslims, but only 1 “failed terrorist attack that took place in Germany” resulting in zero deaths.

In 2007, once again “[t]here were no successful Islamist terrorist attacks” with 1 “failed terrorist attack that took place in Germany” and 3 “attempted terrorist attack[s]” resulting in zero deaths.
In 2008, there was only 1 terrorist attack by Muslims, in which “only the attacker himself was injured.” Again, zero deaths. But, the scale of the Islamist terrorist attacks make up for the fact that 99+% of terrorist attacks were by non-Muslims! (Note: there were no other attempted or foiled attacks in that year.)
In 2009, there was only 1 terrorist attack by Muslims, resulting in zero deaths but “[o]ne of the guards trying to stop [the terrorist] was slightly wounded.” The scale! The horror!

In 2010, “[t]he number of Islamist terrorist attacks actually carried out in the EU was limited to three attacks
in 2010. They caused minimal damage to the intended targets.” The report notes further that “[t]he attacks shared some characteristics” including “lack of familiarity with explosives.” But, be very afraid of these Mastermind Terrorists! In the first attack, the victim “managed to save his life” by locking himself in a room. In the second attack, the Mastermind Terrorist accidentally let the bomb explode while “in a hotel toilet,” resulting in zero fatalities. In the last attack, ”the suspected suicide bomber himself was the only fatality.” Once again, there were zero deaths from Islamist terrorism in that year.
This brings us to a grand total of zero deaths from Islamist terrorism from every year since Europol started keeping track of terrorism and publishing an annual report. Amazingly, it seems that the only injuries sustained, in the entire five year period, was to one guard who “was slightly wounded.”

Yet, even though according to the data in their own reports Muslims were responsible for less than 1% of terrorist attacks and caused zero deaths, Europol ominously warns that “the threat [from Islamist terrorism] remains real and serious” and “the threat of Islamist terrorism by Al-Qaeda inspired groups and affiliates is high.” Every year, without fail, Europol has reported these same findings, but never once did any of these reports note that the threat of Islamist terrorism is heavily exaggerated. In fact, the data they provide is irrelevant to their conclusions and recommendations, which are actually predetermined long before any data is collected or analyzed.

In one of his recent articles, Glenn Greenwald notes that U.S. officials declared that they have defeated Al-Qaeda by rendering it “operationally ineffective” but at the same time warned that “the terrorist group will remain a major security threat for years.” It seems that both the United States and the European Union are able to operate under such paradoxical premises.

Similarly, facts will not move Islamophobes. Even as their main arguments fall apart, they will no doubt find some fall-back argument to rely upon

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/europo ... in-europe/

Facts, not hype.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 24, 2011
That'll be because most are so thick they get caught before they can do any damage. There are Muslim terrorists arrested on a regular basis here in the UK.

I think we've been through this before Shafique. I think you'll now call them numptys or some other particularly silly word for wanting to do us harm but not having the capabilities.

I blame myself for the post you are about to make by giving the opportunity in responding to the drivel you write.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists Nov 24, 2011
Fail. (Again)

The report also documents those arrested on Terrorism, and highlights the fact that many are just stopped on 'suspicion' and then are released when it proves unfounded.

The numpties that do carry out attacks or are entrapped are the ones that count towards the 0.5%.

That's the whole big-thing-point - the threat from Jihadists is hype that is not supported by facts. But eventually there will be one or two numpties that get through, so we shouldn't be complacent. This just highlights the real extent of the problem though.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 28, 2011
Reports and stats in Europe are spun around for political correctness. truth is muzlims account for most of terror attempts, just like in the US, but luckily they are stupid so they they fail.
However , in the US, statistics show that muzlims dominate the Department of Justice 's list of terrorism prosecutions.
muzlims represent 1% of the US population only, but account for 82% of terror convictions.

http://www.investigativeproject.org/265 ... osecutions

http://web.archive.org/web/201005280912 ... stics.html
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists Nov 28, 2011
The truth is that you're imagining things again. Just like you were convinced that an internet hoax was correct, you are now imagining that the official statistics from Europol which show that less than 1% of terrorist acts in the EU are carried out by Muslims somehow is not true.

And you obviously failed in geography as well as statistics at school. This thread is not about the fact that in the US the FBI statistics show that the majority of terrorist acts are non-Muslim.. the clue was 'EU' in the title. Loon fantasies about Muslim terrorist attacks in the USA can't hide the official FBI statistics.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 28, 2011
You said in a previous post that EU stats on Muslim terror attacks are high (91%) only because officials count them as terror attacks instead of resistance by freedom fighters.
Not surprising for a Hamas supporter
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists Nov 29, 2011
gertrude, your imagination is running ahead of you again - now you're imagining posts which were never made.

I've commended the capture and locking up of numpty Brievik/McVeigh wannabes and said that I'm relieved that they are numpties by and large so far. Eventually some of these guys will get lucky and cause real damage - this thread just highlights that the latest statistics show that they were less than 1% of terrorist attacks and didn't kill anyone in the EU.

However, perhaps you dreamt up a post where I used the words 'freedom fighters' when referring to the terrorists in the EU stats?

The only 91% stat I recall is a rogue loon stat that had nothing to do with terrorism statistics. Loons and statistics :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

What are the stats for the number of Brievik type attacks in Europe?

Strange that you mention McVeigh and Brievik in every post on terrorism you can when there have been far more Muslim terrorists acting in the name of their religion who have carried out terrorist attacks in Europe and the US in the past 16 years.

Your attempt to downplay Islamic terrorism is so obvious.

The only humorous aspect about your post is that you're too stupid to see when your arguments are used against you when it's pointed out that Brievik terrorism is statistically insignificant - far more so than Islamic terrorism, where hundreds of Muslims have been arrested since 9/11 on terrorism related charges.

The same can't be said of Europe's Sikh or Hindu populations, for instance. Why is that?
event horizon

shafique wrote: However, perhaps you dreamt up a post where I used the words 'freedom fighters' when referring to the terrorists in the EU stats?

The only 91% stat I recall is a rogue loon stat that had nothing to do with terrorism statistics. Loons and statistics :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique

I remember you saying that Hamas were freedom fighters, Hamas is a terrorist organization and you deny it, hence you view terrorists as freedom fighters.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

What is it with you and fantasies herve? I note that this latest one is just in your imagination and not in any actual post of mine.

As for eh's smoke and mirrors - Brievik and McVeigh were successful terrorists. The death count from Jihadists in the EU last year was zero.. but as I said, let's not be too complacent, eventually there will be some who are as successful as Brievik.

99.5% of terrorist acts carried out in the EU aren't carried out by Jihadists/Muslims. We can speculate as to the reasons why it is predominantly non-Muslims who are terrorising Europeans, and why loons seem to insist it is Muslims who are doing the terrorising - but the facts are in the official statistics.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 29, 2011
A massive security review in 2005 led ex-Prime Minister Gordon Brown to repeatedly declare that 75% of all terrorist incidents in Britain had their origins in Pakistan.
Britain is now home to 2,000 terrorist suspects and 200 Al Qaeda operatives who are under constant surveillance.
the CIA claims that America’s most likely terrorist scenario comes from a British-born extremist entering the US under the visa waiver programme and 40% of CIA operations aimed at disrupting terrorism plots against the US are conducted against targets in Britain. Not just Britain, ghettoes and mosques in countries across the European Union are all witnessing the disturbing trend of disaffected, alienated and often-jobless young Muslims volunteer to kill and die for the jihad.
In 2010, there was a 50% rise in arrests in Europe for offences linked to Islamist terrorism, and there was a massive increase in the proportion of those arrested for planning attacks in the EU.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... 44142.aspx
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists Nov 30, 2011
shafique wrote:Brievik and McVeigh were successful terrorists.

So were the 9/11 hijackers, Spanish train bombers, 7/7 bombers, Nidal Hasan, '93 WTC bombers and any other Muslim radicals operating on the teachings of Islam to carry out terrorist attacks.

Anyway you slice it, there have been more Islamic radical terrorists than Brievik types.

Strange you only mention McVeigh and Brievik in your posts. Couldn't imagine why that would be.

Btw, are you ever going to get around to explaining why so many British Muslims have been rounded up for plotting terror attacks in Britain compared to Sikhs and Hindus?
event horizon

LOL - the stark fact that you're avoiding is that the 7/7 bombers (in 2005) are included in the official statistics by Europol. The 9/11 bombers in 2001 are included in the FBI statistics.

I'm not arguing that there are no Jihadists out there or that there have been NO jihadist terrorist attacks.

The point is that in the EU they represent 0.5% of the terrorist attacks last year, and they did not kill anyone. McVeigh and Brievik on the other hand are examples of very successful non-Muslim terrorists.

It would be a long, long list if I mentioned the 99.5% of terrorists that are non-Muslim. Now, I fully understand why you want to ignore the statistics and focus on hype about suspects rounded up etc. But first let's tackle the fact that 99.5% of terrorist acts weren't carried out by Muslims.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

According to swedish police report, Islamic terrorism is key threat.
Islamic terrorism remains the greatest threat to Sweden, according to Anders Danielsson, head of Sweden’s Security Service (Säpo).

http://www.eutimes.net/2011/09/swedish- ... ey-threat/
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

According to the statistics, you are wrong.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:According to the statistics, you are wrong.

You mean yet another European security official joins the long line of officials, disagreeing with your senseless Rainman drivel.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm quoting official EU statistics - 99.5% of terrorist acts are not carried out by Muslims.

Loons quoting snippets to justify their Islamophobia don't address the statistics.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:I'm quoting official EU statistics

Exactly, Rainman.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Indeed. Name calling is all you have left.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Do you feel special and that only a selected few understand you?
Do you claim to know The Truth?
Does people disagreeing with you make you stressfull (p.e. call them loons)?

Just some rhetorical questions.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

You're the one that is denial and wanting to believe snippets on loon websites.

The statistics are there and are quite clear - 99.5% of terrorist acts carried out by non-Muslims is quite decisive. Why struggle against the truth and resort to name calling? Could it be because that is all you have left?

But let's be clear, loons are those who proudly proclaim their Islamophobic views - nothing more, nothing less.

What is also clear is that loons don't base their views on facts. Just hype.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - Zero Deaths from Jihadists Nov 30, 2011
There is nothing new in your post that hasn't been repeated hundreds of times the last months by you. Why would anybody repeat the same thing again, again and again. Lack of independent thought, lack of originality, feeling superior, extreme insecurity, or just plain nuts. There is no need to repeat yourself again, unless you have something original.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

This thread is about a new report showing that no deaths occured last year from terrorist attacks from Jihadists.

I'm surprised this fact missed you by. It is even in the thread's title.

Why does this new fact cause you so much concern? Herve feels duty bound to not believe in these facts - but he's an extreme Islamophobe and proud to state his hatred of Islam and Muslims. What's your excuse?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique is exhibit A in how Islam rots the brain.
event horizon

More name calling after I point out to FD that this thread is about new official statistics. I guess that is all they have left now.. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ja man, your lastest stat just blew everybody away!Except for the terror/security experts of course.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:Ja man, your lastest stat just blew everybody away!Except for the terror/security experts of course.

The report he quoted from is by security experts. That is official EU report on terrorism.

Fallacy: Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... minem.html
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ad hominem attacks by eh etc are nothing new. Back in 2009 I had to post this:

Of late, I've noticed a trend in eh-oh to go for ad hominem attacks (attack me rather than message) - so this quote from NN Taleb resonated with me:

An ad hominem attack against an intellectual, not against an idea, is highly flattering. It indicates that the person has nothing intelligent to say about your message.

NN Taleb, The Black Swan, pg280

As well as this snippet from pg 279:
..so you become numb to insults, particularly if you teach yourself to imagine that the person uttering them is a variant of a noisy ape with little personal control.

philosophy-dubai/for-contradictions-t37492-45.html

:D

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nucleus wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:Ja man, your lastest stat just blew everybody away!Except for the terror/security experts of course.

The report he quoted from is by security experts. That is official EU report on terrorism.

Show me then where an expert says Islamofascist terrorism is not a major threat in the EU. My bet is you just can't deliver, again.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Terrorism In EU - Zero Deaths From Jihadists Dec 01, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Nucleus wrote:

Show me then where an expert says Islamofascist terrorism is not a major threat in the EU. My bet is you just can't deliver, again.

That is a judgement call, but according to stats it is relatively small compared to other terrorism going on in EU. The point is there is more hype; hence, the perception even though more people die from other terrorist every year in EU.

-- Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 am --

here is for one:
Islamic Terrorism Threat May Be Overblown, Expert Says

In "The Missing Martyrs: Why There Are So Few Muslim Terrorists," Kurzman argues that Islamic terrorism has accounted for a miniscule number of murders compared with violent death tolls from other causes.

In the United States, for example, fewer than 40 people died at the hands of terrorists in the 10 years since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. That compares with about 140,000 other murders during the same time.... "The narrative right now is that Islamic terrorism is either no threat at all, or it's a pandemic throughout the community," said Alejandro Beutel, government and policy analyst for the Muslim Public Affairs Council. "Charles Kurzman's very scholarly approach to the issue is something we want to move toward. There is a threat out there, but it's a tiny minority of individuals."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 22757.html
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk