Where To Live And Where Not To...

Topic locked
Where to live and where not to... Apr 27, 2005
Hello All,

Just signed my contract and will be flying in on june 1st. :D The company gave me 18 days to find a house. Which parts of Dubai do you not wanna live ?

Thanx and C U there

P.s: I´ll be working next to interchange number four on the Sheikh Zayed Road and I´ll have AED 36000 to spend.

Dude
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 27, 2005
sheikh zayed road is not a bad place to work - you might be able to find accommodation there if you're willing to share.

is the aed 36000 your housing allowance or everything included (p/m or p/y)? if it's your housing allowance, you stand a pretty good chance of getting something decent (once again, if you share, unless you are willing to put money into your rent from your own salary).

i've been told a good area to look at are bur dubai, mankhool, golden sands, sheik zayed road, satwa (certain spots are safe, others not). there are more, but i'm not an expert :(

hopefully someone with more info. can help you out. just don't take anything that is cheap - it's bound to be in an unsafe area. also check out gulfnews.com - classifieds. that'll give you a good idea of what is what.

rent is VERY VERY VERY high here at the moment. i was blessed enough to find a place in springs (to share and closer to jebel ali than dubai) - even with this, i'll still have to put in some money of my own toward expenses etc.

p.s. congrats on getting the post :)
krush
Dubai Forum User

May 01, 2005
:idea: Okay, I just found out that " The Springs" is pretty close to Mall of the Emirates. The place I´ll be working.

Who can tell me anything about these Springs. It seems cheaper then let say, Bur Dubai. But is this like a settlement out in the dessert or what? Do I need a 4x4 to get home? Will my AED 36,000 p.a. get me anywhere?

What kind of drivingtime will it take after being DownTown?

Someone give me a clue !? :?

Thanx all !
Dude
Dubai Expat Wannabe

spring is in the air May 04, 2005
mmm .... springs are a "private ownership" development, this means that all the villas in the developmet are to buy. you may be able to get a rental option on a property though through someone who has bought a property and is leasing it out. for 36k pa however you will have to share!
you may be able to pick a place in "the greens" which is slightly closer to interchange 4 than the springs are, these are appartments - quiet nice though. again for 36k pa, you will still have to split the rental with someone. you could try "the gardens" as well, although i know they have a very long waiting list to get in, rent pa there varies between 32 and 48 k per year depending on the size of the appartment.

my suggestion is to look at shared accomodation a 2 or 3/br place and pocket the difference! just make sure you are dealing directly with the landlord (ie they will give you a legal lease agreement from dubai municipality) and not someone who is sub-letting - they will most likly screw you over - take your cash and head out of dodge! and of course because its not a legal agreement there is nothing u can do abt it.

you could get a nice place in bur dubai (al rafa or other area) for about 36 - 48 per annum (2 b/r) that way if you split the rent with someone you both come out with a bit of change...

problem is commuting, unless u have transport ... public transport sucks!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 05, 2005
Okay, thanks for all replies. :D One question though... My rent will be paid by my employer directly to the Landlord. Won't that make it hard to share ? ( i actually don't look forward to sharing) Won't 36k ( p.a.) get me a studio or something small?? I'm not planning on spending days in my appartment ?

What kind of flooor space are we talking about anyway? Someting decent according to my point of view, may be small to someone else's standards.... Anyone? Square Meters?

Thanx !
Dude
Dubai Expat Wannabe

prices of accomodation May 07, 2005
http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/dub/

have a look at this site, some of the prices are negaotiable, some seem very high to me and others fair... it will give u a good indication of what you can expect...

again... the transport issue comes into this, if you don't have your own transport stick to something that is close to interchange 4...

look at properties available in:

the springs
the meadows
the lakes
the greens
the gardens
the green community - although a little far out
al souf
dubai marina
al barsha
um sequiem
jumeirah
al quorz (although mostly industrial there are some villas)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum