If I Want To Bring My Family, Do I Have To Be Married ?

Topic locked
If I want to bring my family, do I have to be married ? Oct 02, 2007
Hi folks,

I have a question: I might get an offer in Abu Dhabi. If I go, I want to bring my "wife" and my little daughter with me. However, we are not married. Do we have to be married ? Is there any problem we could have(visa, rent, ...) if we are not married.

I am coming from Europe (France), where this is not an issue.

Thanks for help!

Chris

longchris
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: If I want to bring my family, do I have to be married ? Oct 02, 2007
longchris wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question: I might get an offer in Abu Dhabi. If I go, I want to bring my "wife" and my little daughter with me. However, we are not married. Do we have to be married ? Is there any problem we could have(visa, rent, ...) if we are not married.

I am coming from Europe (France), where this is not an issue.

Thanks for help!

Chris

Yes it would, no getting around it. You could not sponsor either of them without being married. There are a few threads about that on this forum.

Time to take the plunge...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 02, 2007
chris - yes, you will need to be married. You will have to sponsor your wife and daughter for their residence permits, and to obtain their permits you will need to show your marriage certificate.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 02, 2007
also AD is less liberal than DXB in this respect
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 02, 2007
also AD is less liberal than DXB in this respect
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 02, 2007
arniegang wrote:also AD is less liberal than DXB in this respect

The fact of the matter is, under UAE Federal law, you cannot sponsor your partner and child unless you are married.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: If I want to bring my family, do I have to be married ? Oct 04, 2007
Concord wrote:Yes it would, no getting around it.

I wonder if Las Vegas' will do ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: If I want to bring my family, do I have to be married ? Oct 04, 2007
xty wrote:
Concord wrote:Yes it would, no getting around it.

I wonder if Las Vegas' will do ;)

DXB is a wannabe LV.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 04, 2007
as soon they can figure out a way to get more buy in it'll totally be the vegas of the east.

Anyhow getting back to the OP, marriage is a good thing especially if you have a kid together but if this is not something that is in the cards for you right now......Approach your employer, if you have a good relationship with them and they really want you maybe they'll make a position for your friend and then she can sponser her kid, she'll have a residency visa and won't be forced to do visa runs every 60ish days. You can also buy residency, people sell them under the table but I wouldn't recommend this route, you can get burnt.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 04, 2007
fayz wrote:as soon they can figure out a way to get more buy in it'll totally be the vegas of the east.

Anyhow getting back to the OP, marriage is a good thing especially if you have a kid together but if this is not something that is in the cards for you right now......Approach your employer, if you have a good relationship with them and they really want you maybe they'll make a position for your friend and then she can sponser her kid, she'll have a residency visa and won't be forced to do visa runs every 60ish days. You can also buy residency, people sell them under the table but I wouldn't recommend this route, you can get burnt.

Whilst this may be the way to go about things elswhere, as Concord said previously, it is the law here. Unfortunately what Fayz is advising is illegal and could land you in Prison. If you are willing to take that risk then all well and good.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum