Canadian - Resident Visa Transfer

Topic locked
Canadian - Resident Visa Transfer Aug 30, 2008
Hi guys,

24 year old Canadian professional here.

Planning to move to Dubai by first week of October and head to interviews, try to secure employment.

If I come in with a visit visa, which expires in 30 days (albeit it can be extended...) but secure a position with a company during that time, how long does (or can) the process take to transfer to a residence/work visa?

Some countries like the UK, etc, have wait times that can span months just because of the backlog.

I'm hoping the process takes 2-3 weeks...and I'm talking October, after the summer months of decision maker absence and Ramadan.

Any thoughts and insights would be most appreciated.

sandman100k
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 30, 2008
They have just changed all the visa regulations. You can come in on a visit visa, however if you find a job, you will have to go back to your home country and wait for the work/residency visa to be ready, then come back in on that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 30, 2008
From what I understand you are able to either transfer directly while remaining in the UAE or leave the country and re-enter as some type of silly formality.

Couldn't I go to another country, rather than my home country, and re-enter when the visa is ready? Why does it have to be my home country. If a man comes in from Canada, he is expected to fly back thousands of miles just to get an email, and then return?

I'd rather go to Iran or Turkey or somewhere for a brief vacation while waiting for the visa application to be completed. What am I missing here?
sandman100k
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 30, 2008
Canadians are in the list of nationalities that get a free visa on arrival so they can still easily do a UAE visa renewal (change visa at Oman border). There were conflicting comments from various officials about visa renewals before and after the new visa regulations.

How long residency takes depends mostly on how efficient the company is. It can vary from ready almost before you get here (if you're the head of a large conglomerate) to months, or never.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 30, 2008
Cheers bonk.
sandman100k
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 30, 2008
Bonk, as far as I am aware you cannot do visa renewals through Oman anymore, that stands for everyone pretty much. The 34 countries that can still get visit visa on arrival, can still not transer from visit visa to residence. You have to travel out the country, now where you have to go to is another matter.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 30, 2008
Ok. My post was based on comments from authorities ...

"There is no rule that visitors have to return to their home country to renew visit visas. At DNRD, we only check whether they left the UAE or not," Bin Surour said.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 12, 2008
you communicate the Canadian embassy
cathy_girl69
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 07, 2008
The rules are changing all the time and nobody knows what’s going on including immigration, I just changed visa, on a Canadian passport from one sponsor to another they did it no problem, cost me AED 500 at immigration. This was done on Sept 25th about 10 days ago.

Good luck in your job search, worst case scenario you’ll have to go back home and come back.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum