Birth Control Methods

Topic locked
Birth Control methods Jun 10, 2007
Hi there

I'm just about to move to Dubai with my long term partner, and I was wondering can you get the birth control pill out there?

Any help would be appreciated....we don't want little tots just yet!

dskwork
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 10, 2007
Partner?, not married?, Prison Cell is a great birth control method :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 10, 2007
dskwork wrote:and I was wondering can you get the birth control pill out there?

Yes, at pharmacies, no prescription or marriage certificate needed. If you're not married, don't draw attention to the fact, don't annoy your neighbours, don't live in Sharjah, and you'll probably be fine.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 11, 2007
bonk wrote:

Yes, at pharmacies, no prescription or marriage certificate needed. If you're not married, don't draw attention to the fact, don't annoy your neighbours, don't live in Sharjah, and you'll probably be fine.

You forgot to add, get caught and go to Prison, followed by deportation.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 11, 2007
bonk wrote:

you forgot, don't listen to Sage.
I wrote
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 11, 2007
OK, ignore the silly replies to your question.

Yes the majority of birth control pills are freely available over the counter at chemists, which I personally disagree with. If you're already taking the pill and just want to carry on with the one you have, then fine. But don't just take pot luck and buy any one over the counter, they're all different and have different effects on the body, and some might not even be effective for you.

Any type of birth control, should always be discussed with a gynie or gp first, the find the right one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 11, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:OK, ignore the silly replies to your question.

Yes the majority of birth control pills are freely available over the counter at chemists, which I personally disagree with. If you're already taking the pill and just want to carry on with the one you have, then fine. But don't just take pot luck and buy any one over the counter, they're all different and have different effects on the body, and some might not even be effective for you.

Any type of birth control, should always be discussed with a gynie or gp first, the find the right one.

Why do you disagree with this? Surely its a good thing that contraception is freely available to this who want it?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 12, 2007
Because as I said there are many different types of pills, mini pills, micro pills, ones for 21 days, others for 28, they all have different hormones. You can't just go and pick any old pack of pills as they all work differently on the body. Some are more effective for some women than others, trust me I know, I've tried about 8 different types of pills before I found the right one for me.

Plus as you get older, your hormones change, so you have to change your pills accordingly, as certain ones become less effective.

Some women can't take the pill at all, and need to look at alternative methods of birth control.

So it's best to see a medical professional who can go through all the options and tell you which ones are the right ones for you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 12, 2007
Ah I see - I thought you might have had a moral disagreement with it. Point taken - thanks. :D
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 12, 2007
Oh heck no, I wish there was more education about all this stuff.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 12, 2007
sage & onion wrote:You forgot to add, get caught and go to Prison, followed by deportation.

No, I didn't forget. You'd already said that. I was giving an alternative point of view.
bonk

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 12, 2007
I wrote wrote:
bonk wrote:

you forgot, don't listen to Sage.

I love to see you people doing this, you simply advise people to go ahead and break the law, are you ready to stand in court and support them if they get into trouble?????. The simple answer to this is no you are not!!!!All I am doing is advising them of the law, and it is the law, once they know then it is up to them to make whatever decision they want. It is not as you may want to make out or believe, a moral judgement, because I dont care, its just that people should know the risks they are taking, thats why this is called "Expat help forum"
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 13, 2007
All I can say is 'Typical answers from blokes who know nothing!'.

Did it ever occur to any of you MEN, that many women take pills for other reasons other than birth control?

They are also used to regulate the menstrual cycle and stop painful periods and other related problems.

Just because a woman is taking the Pill, does not mean she's s.e.xually active.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 13, 2007
Duplicate post.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 13, 2007
Duplicate post.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 13, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:All I can say is 'Typical answers from blokes who know nothing!'.

Did it ever occur to any of you MEN, that many women take pills for other reasons other than birth control?

They are also used to regulate the menstrual cycle and stop painful periods and other related problems.

Just because a woman is taking the Pill, does not mean she's s.e.xually active.

Deleted, not worth the agro
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Birth Control methods Jun 13, 2007
sage & onion wrote:I love to see you people doing this, you simply advise people to go ahead and break the law, are you ready to stand in court and support them if they get into trouble?????.

No I'm not. I was just trying to give realistic answers. You already said it was against the law, I didn't disagree with you. I made suggestions about how to behave IF the OP was not married to his/her partner. Even Dubai Police have reportedly implied living together is tolerated under certain circumstances (not that I would expect a newspaper article would be much of a defence in court should you end up there).

Chocoholic wrote:All I can say is 'Typical answers from blokes who know nothing!'.

Who said I'm a man? The OP's implication is that they want the pill for birth control.
dskwork wrote:....we don't want little tots just yet!
bonk

Jun 13, 2007
i think morning after pills are NOT available under any circumstances... right?
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 13, 2007
dale wrote:i think morning after pills are NOT available under any circumstances... right?

Last I checked, you could get them in a pharmacy.
bonk

Jun 13, 2007
okie
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 24, 2007
Just to clarify.
Most UK contraceptive pils are available (and very cheap!) in pharmacies in Dubai, so you can continue your original prescription with the same tablets rather than be picking up 'any old pil'.
It is also possible to ask your doctor in the Uk for 6 or 12 months prescription before you leave - just say you are working abroad for upto a year.
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum